Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary editions to be released May 26, 2017* Anticipation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JOSERENATO, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

March 1967... Always those busy people...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

source: Facebook (@/beatlesrecording)

Johnny Reb, coffeetime, Yovra and 8 others like this.
  2. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Even the font on this looks great. I can't wait to hear the actual music! Only two more days!

3. kch27

kch27 Forum Resident

I don't know who does the aaahh's.
    Maybe Paul would know.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  4. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Think that's Plantin, a very nice font. Suits very well on both Sgt Pepper and the White Album.

Morton LaBongo and kch27 like this.
  5. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

No, E.T.A. Hoffman

6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Why bother to extract instruments and place them in a fake stereo-like image? It makes no sense to me. Leave them combined.

graystoke, Laservampire and lukpac like this.
  7. John Hatter

John Hatter Senior Member

How low does this go? "I need a fix cause I'm going down"

deany76 and andrewskyDE like this.
  8. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Paul sang lead between the two John sections, that includes the "Ahhhhhhhs".

Studio logs, released takes and outtakes and narrative logic of the song itself all lean toward it being Paul.

Listening closely as someone who had assumed it was John for 20 years, it actually sounds like Paul despite being easily mistakable for John in certain parts. There are moments that reveal it to be clearly Paul though.

I could see that taking away such an iconic moment from John may be a hurdle for some but it is not the Beatle with the "Ahhhhhhs" he!

9. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Actually, "jump the gun" phrase few bars later goes even lower. But still it's the same G2 as in I'm Loser.

Ondra

John Hatter likes this.
  10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Another feather in your cap, Sherlock. ;)

Mal likes this.
  11. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

Eh, I think the ahhhss on A Day in The Life are John. While I certainly think Paul could do it (and I think he does it, perhaps even better on Lovely Rita,) I think those are John's. I don't really see it as far fetched that it's him, those don't sound at all like something he couldn't be capable of doing. The multitrack I've heard on YouTube makes me think even more that it's John, I had never heard it that way before just listening to the song itself.

Regardless of who it was, it's just one of many, many things to make you realize how amazing it was that these 4 people all grew up that close to each other and were all in the same band. Incredible.

12. I did add IMHO. I love that the Beatles and other Western artists introduced us to what would later be called world music at a young age. My personal opinion is that it is a loss not to enjoy this type of music. But I've never said folks are wrong to not like something like that.

evilpants and soundQman like this.
  13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

If I find the box under $100, I just might go for it.

boboquisp likes this.
  14. seilerbird

seilerbird Forum Resident

I have a fan made surround mix which is not very exciting. Amazon will be delivering my package on Friday so I will answer then.

15. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Take a sad song and make it Getting Better....

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    The Ole' Rocker likes this.
  16. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

What tracks are "When I'm 64" and "Lovely Rita" missing on (which of) their outtakes from the set? Thanks.

17. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Definitely Paul. Next they'll tell us John sings For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite. Unreal.

18. teag

teag Forum Resident

Interesting that even on this pro Paul forum, the thread that contains the poll on this subject is greatly in John's favor.

"I do believe thou protest too much", or words to that effect, come to mind.

marmalade166 and Mal like this.
  19. John Hatter

John Hatter Senior Member

Opening track on Sometime in NYC. "Woman is the x of the world". Low or no?

20. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

It always sounded like John to me. I would never think different without the suggestion here.

An exercise (not for this thread) that would be interesting, is who you think it is AND who you prefer in the band. There may be a hidden John vs. Paul debate here.

deany76 likes this.
  21. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Is it upside down like the original?

22. slane

slane Forum Resident

They both feature 3 of the 4 tracks. When I'm 64 (Take 2) doesn't include the chimes and backing vocals track, Lovely Rita (Take 9) doesn't include the bass track.

23. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Does anyone here have any information regarding where the 50th Anniversary vinyl records were pressed?

The Ole' Rocker and Mr. Explorer like this.
  24. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I've just noticed, on the cover of the Pepper album, the space next to Edgar Allan Poe. Maybe some people are bending down and kicking him. Man, we should have seen them!

[​IMG]

25. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.