Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary editions to be released May 26, 2017* Anticipation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JOSERENATO, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Now normally I'd be upset about being so wrong. But in this case, it's an honor.

deany76 likes this.
  2. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Oh great, now this is going to be continually quoted as evidence.

Onder, Tommyboy, Mal and 3 others like this.
  3. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

and who is Mike? :confused:

ODIrony, alexpop and Billy Budapest like this.
  4. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Well isn't this interesting.

B-Luna likes this.
  5. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

Agreed. 45 minutes on vinyl is a bit much but they are a couple of famous classic rock albums that are that long and sound fine on vinyl. 22 or 23 minutes per side if O.K. It's that "25 minute side length" that gives me the heebie jeebies. I have a Journey's Greatest Hits LP vinyl record I picked up in London, England in 1993. It's at least 30 minutes per side. The cassette sounds better.

Colin M likes this.
  6. schnitzerphilip

And what does "...I high ooh...." mean anyway? He typed an "eye" not a "one", I checked it by copy/pasting in MS Word.

EDIT: Wait.....look at the question that was asked....."who sings the "Aah part in ADITL?"......perhaps Giles took that to mean "Aah read the news today, oh boy" which is definitely John. Or "....to fill the Albert Aaaah...."

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    Laservampire and Billy Budapest like this.
  7. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Mike as in microphone.

8. schnitzerphilip

1. This mysterious "Mike"
    2. The nonsensical phrase "I high ooh"
    3. The ambiguous question "the aah part"

This isn't over.

jlf, ODIrony, streetlegal and 2 others like this.
  9. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

I'm assuming he replied from his phone and autocorrect messed with what he typed. Hence the A turning into an I and it capitalizing mike to Mike.

The Ole' Rocker likes this.
  10. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I keep foolishly clicking.on this thread thinking you're talking about the new product but instead we have two separate threads beating the same tired horse.

B-Luna, ODIrony and coffeetime like this.
  11. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

OK - so only people with crappy stereo's think it's John. :righton:

Drifter likes this.
  12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Love, om.:laugh:

deany76, Drifter and Billy Budapest like this.
  13. schnitzerphilip

Looks like it's going to take another 49 years 11 months 29 days and 15 minutes to get the real answer, I'm not satisfied with the integrity of the question or the response.

ODIrony likes this.
  14. That's it! You got it!

OK, now I'm done with this, for real. Let's move on to another Beatle mystery. Any ideas?

15. Nez? :laugh:

16. schnitzerphilip

Yes actually.

Did Paul author the mellotron intro to Strawberry Fields Forever? I know he played it, but did he write it?

17. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Yeah if John is Foghorn Leghorn!

18. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

Interesting.

I guess I don't mind it so much for "When I'm 64" especially since there is a so-called "take 3" floating around which is apparently pretty similar to what this take would be with all faders up. Having backing vox and chimes mixed out at least represents a stage of the recording which persisted for a couple weeks.

But why mix the bass out for "Lovely Rita"? The vocal that is on this track had been recorded after the bass. So this isn't even what Paul apparently heard while he was overdubbing his vocal part. Is anything gained by its exclusion?

Lewisboogie likes this.
  19. mrwolk

mrwolk One and a half ears...no waiting!

Wow!...903 pages devoted to just about every possible aspect of the 50th Anniversary release of SPLHCB....i am so glad there was no internet 50 years ago when i first bought the album. Simple process then....remove the shrink wrap, take the disc out of the sleeve, put the record on your turntable or record player...place the needle on the disc...turn up the volume and enjoy!...and if anyone tried to disrupt the experience a simple "shut up!..it's the Beatles!" would do.

20. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Gold medal post!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

21. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

SHMF -Beatle edition at its finest!

22. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

I thought it was obvious that it had been varispeeded up. I guess I should have mentioned that a few pages back to save us from all this prattle!

Does everyone now agree varispeed was used? I have an idea, let's all argue about that!

We can have the Varispeed People vs. the Natural Pitch People. :tsk: :biglaugh:

ODIrony likes this.
  23. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

Actually, that's Paul's ghost, not John or George. And yes, I know there were no other vocal overdubs. But ghosts can just imprint onto tapes without going through normal dubbing procedures, you see. (And after 1965, they had ADT)

ODIrony likes this.
  24. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

and changing "Paul" into "John"... :agree::D

25. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Festinger's theory of cognitive dissonance accounts for the psychological consequences of disconfirmed expectations. When the space ship doesn't show up, the cult members double down on their commitment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.