Beach Boys - Wild Honey LP in Stereo - 'Sunshine Tomorrow' 2Cds + live digital release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel1963, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Yes, and this new set may well have a cardboard gatefold. But the "Party" archival release is the most analogous type of release we've had as of late, so I think there's a good chance we'll see the same for the upcoming set.

And either way is fine. I'm guessing part of the reason the 2012 album reissues were in sleeves was because they wanted to make more shelf space for the large dump of album reissues that all happened at the same time. The cardboard gatefolds aren't my preference, but I've never had serious problems with them either. Sure, it requires sometimes having to touch the disc with the actual surface of my finger, and maybe there are even a few minor scuffs or scratches. But I haven't had any discs not play, and everything stills stays pretty pristine overall.

If hardcore fans want more releases like this, it's a bad idea to boycott the release due to packaging. Frankly, considering how we're all getting older and don't have too many chances left at this sort of archival program, I'd recommend not boycotting the release even if the set is released by Capitol/UMe on CD-Rs affixed to the back of a box of Fruit Loops.

2. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I bought all of the 2000 Brother CD reissues on the day they came out, and as far as I can remember the "So Tough/Holland" discs were labeled correctly.

As a sidebar, weirdly the "MIU Album/LA (Light Album)" CD is out of print now and commands higher prices. Just that one; all the others appear to still be in print.

3. balzac

balzac Senior Member

This is a live shot of me waiting outside for the "Sunshine Tomorrow" release (crossing my fingers for them to carry the 8-track version):

[​IMG]

4. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

This wasn't a very good idea, since there's the Wild Honey track of that same title, forgot about that... o_O
    So I'll go back to Meant For You: The Beach Boys 1968. :righton:

5. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

"I Went To Sleep" The Beach Boys 1968
    (just kidding)

"Busy Doing Nothing"?

6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

It was such a hot seller that they couldn't keep up with demand.

I'm mad I sold all those harsher than a knife in the ear drum 2012 mono/stereo discs when I got the AP SACD discs. I should have waited. They are out of print now and probably fetch better money. I kept the ones with unique stereo extraction mixes, though. And Smiley Smile, just because. I don't think I ever even bothered playing the Pet Sounds disc. Good riddance.

So let's study the facts - the half-assed 2012 discs are OOP....they're no sign of the mono Wild Honey being reissued on CD to coincide with this release... Friends, 20/20, also not on CD.... What's that add up to? T"he Beach Boys Complete Capitol Era Albums Boxed Set". Followed By "The Beach Boys The Brother Years & Beyond Complete Albums boxed set". But for the love of God let someone else master them this time!

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Don't bet on it.

8. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

haha--the complete stereo 60's masters box, followed shortly thereafter by the complete mono 60's masters box...

all joking aside, if they were sympathetically mastered...

smitquest

The Beave likes this.
  9. Daniel Plainview

Or they could just let AP release the remaining titles....and then we'd have world peace.

bobcat, Mr. H, trumpet sounds and 3 others like this.
  10. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

Well, hey, the Master himself chose Mr. Linett. And Brian Wilson is never wrong, well at least to all good card-carrying Brianistas, anyway. ;)

11. Daniel Plainview

I like Mark, and appreciate all he has done, but it seems like each time they reissue the catalog the sound gets worse and worse. I was listening to the 2012 "Surfin' USA" disc and I thought someone was shoving a rusty spoon into my head and trying to dig out my brain.

12. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Yup. Should've put that on a 3" CD in a replica sleeve.

B. Bu Po likes this.
  13. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident

David is a cool guy and I do like his mixes. About Brian choosing, his manager and his wife dictate his life. That's the sad reality.

14. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

all for that, but then i want -no, i NEED- some kind of pastmasters-type mop up of all the stray tracks and other released oddities ("the little girl i once knew," "all dressed up for school," etc) to make my collection complete.

I SAID COMPLETE.

that is all.

smitquest

Sammy Banderas and supermd like this.
  15. balzac

balzac Senior Member

The band's original catalog has been remastered and reissued enough times. There are some great DCC discs and the AF disc to snag, and the Analog SACDs for a number of the albums, and the Andrew Sandoval/Dan Hersch masterings for the 1970-1985 CDs from 2000 are excellent.

The back catalog should be kept in print, but the focus now should be on the archives. Studio *and* live stuff. They could easily do an online "Dick's Picks" sort of thing. If Capitol separately wants to also put out a new "Sounds of Summer" variation each summer to also sell the hits, then go for it.

But, aside from "deluxe" sets for each album where there's a full disc of outtakes to go alongside mono/stereo mixes, I don't think the albums need another go.

MarkusGermany and supermd like this.
  16. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Not sure who David is (the Linett in question is Mark Linett), but as for the latter regarding Brian, that's a vast oversimplification. I'm not a Brian apologist, and I recognize he has a weird deal going on and always will and always has to. But it's not as simple as someone controlling all aspects of his life. If you follow things behind the scenes, you'll often find when Brian doesn't want to do something, he'll make sure that he doesn't do it.

As for Linett, I think his PS and Smile boxes are great, and his work on later-era material is just fine. I think some of his early-mid 60s stereo remixes (post-"Pet Sounds Sessions") have way too much reverb. That's the only criticism I have.

17. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Luckily, that's what they're doing. Every year since 2014 has given us goodies (which I know you know). I'm very pleased with how these yearly releases are turning out. I, personally, can't get enough of the Unplugged Party release. It's one of my all-time favorite Beach Boys releases. The main album without all the stupid party overdubs is excellent.

18. balzac

balzac Senior Member

All archival releases are indeed welcomed, and in particular I appreciate that the "Party" set and the upcoming '67 set are of higher quality than the copyright extension dumps, which have great material but are presented poorly (cheap, fan-made-quality cover art, reversed negative shots, etc.).

I've gone on record that "Party" was probably among the *last* albums I would have picked to be the focus of a 2-CD deluxe set. But I recognize that it was due to be addressed in terms of copyright extension, and they presented the set quite well. But I can't say I pull that one out to listen to that often.

Mr. Explorer, darbelob and supermd like this.
  19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I have yet to get through all the sessions, but I revisit the main, unplugged album often. It's great for sing-a-longs in the car.

20. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I think many fans had for years longed for a mix of "Devoted to You" free of the annoying "party overdubs." They actually gave us that remix on the 2001 "Hawthorne, CA" set. But yes, the "underdubbed" version of the entire album is a welcome addition.

supermd likes this.
  21. drbeachboy

With the same person doing this work, why do you think that is? Was it because of the stereo/mono arrangement? I hear slight differences, but some of you guys with your "rusty spoon" type remarks, make me think that I must have lousy hearing or something.

MarkusGermany likes this.
  22. Daniel Plainview

I have to assume that as time passes the goals change, or the current trends dictate his decisions. Or his ears are failing him. Back in 1993 he presented a very straight forward mastering of the material on the "Good Vibrations" box. That was just right. Then the 2001 discs are SUPER LOUD. The 2012 aren't as loud, but in an attempt to modernize he boosted the top and the bottom so all I get is rumble and hiss with the delicious nougat in the middle pushed away. It's all a matter of taste. To each his own.

23. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

All albums released as HiRes Downloads sound so great IMO especially the Mono/Stereo albums!

24. drbeachboy

I hear a big difference between the 1990's stuff and the 2001 stuff, but only hear slight differences from 2001 through the 2012 releases. I always thought it was due to compensating for how the music was presented; compilations and stereo/mono cds, etc.

Mr. Explorer and MarkusGermany like this.
  25. John Manning

John Manning #FreeFeelFlows

marmalade166 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.