How would you rate "Let's Dance" (1983) by David Bowie?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

"Let's Dance" is David Bowie's fifteenth studio album. It was released on April 14, 1983. This album saw what many perceived as an unintentional attempt to appeal to a more commercial audience. Selling 10.7 million copies as of January 2016, it is Bowie's best selling album of all time.

[​IMG]
    Track listing:
    -Modern Love
    -China Girl
    -Let's Dance
    -Without You

-Ricochet
    -Criminal World
    -Cat People (Putting Out Fire)
    -Shake It
    --------------------------------------------
    Here is a recap of the series so far:
    "Heroes" poll Rating: 4.28/5

andow, Stephen J and Bobby Morrow like this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

First CD I ever bought. On 5th April 1985.:)

I'd had the LP a couple of years at that point and decided to go for something 'safe' as my first CD purchase. They were expensive then.:) I was blown away by the sound of the disc in comparison to the LP. I still have that CD, though I've retired it now in favour of the SACD.

As for the album itself, it was my first Bowie one. A friend at work who was a huge fan tried to dissuade me from buying it as it was "commercial crap". I replied, "But I love commercial crap".:D He tried to steer me in the direction of Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust, but I wasn't interested in 'old' stuff at that point. I mean, they were good suggestions, and I did eventually take him up on it.:)

I still really enjoy Let's Dance and voted for the second option here. It's not his best work of course, but it's great fun to listen to. It also reminds me of 1983/4 which were good years for me.

3. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Not ground-breaking like so much of the 70s work BUT sometimes music doesn't need to be that-just fun listening. Side One is a blast for the first three cuts, then a nice and I think under-appreciated slow song. Side Two has at least one weak spot and not as stellar front to back, but sill good. One of my faves.

Mr. Explorer, JDeanB, bru87tr and 2 others like this.
  4. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

For me it was the 80's with an exclamation mark!

5. vonseux

vonseux Re-channeled Stereo

Side A only

JDeanB and dirtymac like this.
  6. Although I have a CD copy, the equivalent of "Side 1" is what I like best. Whilst I do like the whole album, just the first half blows it out of the water for me. Actually I can say the same thing for "Too Low For Zero" by Elton John and "An Innocent Man" by Billy Joel. Come to think of it, I can say the same again for that Neil Finn album I have from 1983 as well. There must be a thing about 1983 albums ..... :p

Mr. Explorer and kyletx500 like this.
  7. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I love Let's Dance and China Girl, but aside from those the material is pretty average.

8. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

Forgettable. I have. :shrug:

savemenow, showtaper and oldturkey like this.
  9. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

If Bowie had released the Moroder produced Cat People instead of the lame version on the album it would have bumped the album up a few notches.

10. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

A product of it's time and place, a reflection of the MTV era. People danced, Bowie made money and everyone was happy. Some of the songs hold up better than others. Not among his greatest, but nothing to be ashamed of either.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  11. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Not great, but a helluva lot better than the next two or three albums that followed.....

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

3 good singles
    Great videos, but have never loved this album.

13. mc7t

mc7t Forum Resident

I voted #2

A great little time capsule of my past when I was 13 :agree:

I played the album a lot when I first got it alongside his earlier work (Ziggy, Hunky, Pin Ups, Man Who Sold The World etc).

I miss him :cry:

richard a and No Bull like this.
  14. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

For the record I voted for "average". Half of the songs are brilliant (the three singles and Cat People), the other half range from meh to average IMO.

duggan, Alan57, basie-fan and 3 others like this.
  15. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

Yeah, no kidding. Me, too.

mc7t and richard a like this.
  16. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

I rated it "Pretty great, worth recommending". I think he was trying to emulate the sound of early 80's Roxy Music. Definitely slick 80's production, which catapulted Bowie into the real mainstream on the singles charts. Unfortunately it resulted in him trying to repeat the success with a number of lackluster sound-alike albums afterward for a few years until finally snapping out of the formula in 1989 with the harder edged Tin Machine project. Commercially-speaking, "Let's Dance" was his career peak, but definitely not critically. Still a very enjoyable listen though.

17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Essential listening. One of his best.

[​IMG]

18. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Funny the past two weeks i have been listening to this album quite a bit after not hearing it for a long time , i voted "
    Pretty great, worth recommending"
    It's slick , it's 80's but a lot of well written songs & some great playing from the band , you certainly couldn't go anywhere that year without hearing one of the singles which to me still hold up as strong songs , a few clunkers but overall a pretty good album & a blast to crank up .

bluesky likes this.
  19. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The title track is great. Modern Love is fun. The rest is forgettable, with the possible exception of Cat People.
    China Girl is a good song but I prefer Iggy's original version.

Jack Lord and Neonbeam like this.
  20. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Pretty great for me.

bluesky likes this.
  21. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Side 1 is what makes this worth recommending. Side 2 I put in the same league as his later 80s work.

duggan likes this.
  22. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Found out that other solo artists used this as a template: involving A-list musicians and producer, while keeping the overall musical sound relatively consistent to be radio friendly. The obvious attempts at similar success of this type would be Mick Jagger- She's the Boss and Bryan Ferry - Boys and Girls, off the top of my head, to varying results. So from that perspective, it was extremely important.

Karnak, Acoustic Warrior and kBear like this.
  23. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Right in the middle of Essential listening - a true classic and Pretty great, worth recommending. Modern Love hasn't aged well for me, but Criminal World and Cat People are ace, along with China Girl and the title cut.

Christopher B likes this.
  24. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Looks like I'm the only one so far that loves Criminal World. :help:

25. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Man, that looks like an unnatural hairline.

Instant Dharma likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.