Rhino Records Summer of Love issues, July 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob J, May 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident Thread Starter

I checked for a thread on this already and didn't see one. Rhino has got a nice batch of releases scheduled for July. Really looking forward to a bunch of these.

Summer of Love

2. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I'm excited at some of these releases.... Some of them I've never come across or never seen for prices I'm willing to spend. A mono Alice's Restaurant.. Beau Brummels Triangle.. to name a few.

cwitt1980 and jamesmaya like this.
  3. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

Linky?

4. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

Cool!

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

thanks

6. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

I like how "Birth Of An Accidental Hipster" is on The Monkees comp. Definitely some intriguing titles there. Love in mono, I only have a stereo; Triangle in stereo (I assume) and I have a mono. Might grab Astral Weeks too.

j_rocker likes this.
  7. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

I'm in for Love and Dusty, and maybe Beau Brummels and Electric Prunes

8. Bob J

I'm in for Vanilla Fudge, the "Gettin' Together" comp and "Zodiac Cosmic Sounds" for sure. After that, possibly The Rascals, the Monkees comp and the mono Love. June (Catherine Wheel, Beach Boys, Anathema) & July are shaping up very nicely.

9. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

I'll pick up Astral Weeks on clear vinyl assuming it's the Kevin Gray cut.

10. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

"Transparent Days" looks like an interesting comp. I might pick that one up. These Rhino releases are usually very well done.

11. Rhino, 60's, vinyl, mono,...
    what's not to [Summer of] Love?!?!

Just Joking!!

12. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

What the heck does Astral Weeks have to do with the Summer of Love?? :confused:

13. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I'm only interested if they are releasing the new Nuggets piece on cd.

klockwerk likes this.
  14. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

There's no way to know unless Rhino tells us or you unwrap the shrink. But.. I will say that I picked up Rhino's Rocktober version of Alice Cooper's Billion Dollar Babies on colored vinyl. It uses the same Chris Bellman cut as the previous out of print black vinyl edition.

I'd bet that the Astral Weeks will be the same Kevin Gray cut. I doubt that Rhino will spring for new mastering if the previous plates are ok and they are just cooking up new colored pressings.

15. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Stone Turntable and bxbluesman like this.
  16. MagneticSouth1966

MagneticSouth1966 Forum Resident

Any info regarding the "Dusty In Memphis" source (AAA v. Digital)?

17. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

I'd be down for the purple vinyl reissue of The Electric Prunes' self-titled debut as long as it's better than my 180 gram early 2000s pressing. That one shouldn't be hard to top since it's a little on the crunchy side.

18. Bob J

I'm wondering about the Vanilla Fudge s/t LP. The Rhino info doesn't specify mono as it does for other mono releases in this group so it's probably the stereo version. That makes me curious about which mastering will be used for this. The George Piros mastering from the 1970's (I believe) yellow Atco label issue is better than the original purple & brown Atco from 1967 but the early Fudge stuff was remastered for the "Box of Fudge" CD set in 2010. Could they possibly have cut a new lacquer from the 2010 remastering for this LP?? Maybe that's more than I can hope for but I'm buying anyway.

I hope they don't just repress the old Sundazed mono version from 2004. It would be nice to have a more current stereo pressing of this one.

fortherecord likes this.
  19. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

A blu ray audio or sacd deluxe edition of Moby Grape would be cool.

RiRiIII, andrewskyDE, Sean and 3 others like this.
  20. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Uh, yeah...and the Peter Paul & Mary TEN YEARS TOGETHER came out in 1970. I suppose, technically, the compilation is "from that era". ALBUM 1700, on the other hand, was released in 1967.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  21. Mr. Fernando

Mr. Fernando Forum Resident

Both of these sound like a winner.

Transparent Days: West Coast Nuggets
    Getting Together: The Groovy Sounds of the Summer of Love

Would like to hear audio source info and mastering info for each though.

Tullman likes this.
  22. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Definitely interested in Goodbye & Hello (Tim Buckley), Alice's Restaurant and Wildflowers (Judy Collins) - the last two mono.

DeRosa likes this.
  23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Very cool. A few years early for me but it's exciting to see major artist compilations coming out on vinyl. I love the three disc Forest Gump soundtrack on vinyl. If these go well maybe they will do some seventies stuff! Thanks for the heads up. Would I wouldn't give to see the Have a Nice Day series from Rhino released on vinyl! Seems there would be a huge market for those 28 volumes on vinyl!

24. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident

Not to splash any cold water on this whole observation, but that huge groaning sound you hear is coming from San Francisco & Monterey, dreading this entire media-created anniversary that began organically anyway in 1965, long before the media ever heard of "be-in's", dead people being grateful or airplanes called Jefferson. I would think it's a safe bet that they want all of it to just go away.

john lennonist likes this.
  25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I'm surprised these aren't being offered on CD as well, most likely these are from digital files.

Chemically altered and supermd like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.