‘Animaniacs’ Reboot Being Developed By Steven Spielberg, Amblin TV and Warner Bros.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, May 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Oh jeez. Unless the original cast is involved, just leave it be. Netflix has the originals for streaming.

3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Yes! PLEASE get the original voices back as well!

:goodie:

JM Jones likes this.
  4. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Will Pinky And The Brain be involved? If so....

[​IMG]

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I hope Elmyra is a part of the Pinky And The Brain segments.

(Just kidding).

Animaniacs had so many great, catchy original songs. I hope we get more of them.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  6. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Loved the original series, so I can't help but be curious about this. ;)

7. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I had no idea.

See you guys in a few days, I'm off to watch me some Animaniacs! :goodie:

Strummergas and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Wakko sounds like someone doing a bad impersonation of George Harrison.

There, this is now a Beatles thread. :)

9. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

from IMDb:

Jess Harnell modeled Wakko's voice after Ringo Starr of The Beatles. He originally modeled the Liverpudlian accent after John Lennon, but he decided to go with Ringo instead because Wakko was shorter than the others.

drasil and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

A-ha!! Ringo it is then! :)

11. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Up next we'll get "Full House - The Animated Series", because Millennials.

12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Well, we're apparently getting an ALF CGI movie of some kind...

13. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I think Paul Fusco was trying to work that out a good five or so years ago; it would appear nothing came of that.

I never got into the Alf animated series; I think a big part of the character is a Muppet-esque "in camera" puppet effect. So if they ever tried to reboot Alf in some fashion, they should stick to live action.

I also think Alf getting much of a reboot isn't likely simply because it hasn't ever hit quite that nostalgic-pop culture-critical mass the way other stuff from certain eras has. For instance, Fusco hasn't merchandised much of anything of Alf in all of these years. You'd think a Funko Pop figure or something like that would be a no-brainer.

I think, in this moment in time, a CGI Alf movie would tank. A live action movie wouldn't do a ton better; but I think if they marketed it right and kept it at a low budget, they could so something really cool either as a film or a short-run Netflix sort of thing. They'd probably, for better or worse, have to go relatively "meta" with any Alf project rather than trying to simply make it a continuation of the TV show.

Kirk76 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  14. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Has John Kricfalusi been informed? I'm sure he'll be thrilled beyond repair.

15. MikaelaArsenault

Whatever happened to him anyway?

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

A WB exec told me around 1993-94 that Animaniacs was a financial disaster for the studio: they lost money on every episode they made, because Spielberg often came in at the last minute and requested massive changes. I think the guy told me that Spielberg had them go back and rewrite and (partially) reshoot the first 10 episodes, which cost well over a million bucks alone. I think it's still the most costly TV animated show ever made.

I wonder if Spielberg will take as much of a role in involving himself in the day to day as he did 25 years ago.

I think John Kricfalusi is a very creative guy, but he's known to be temperamental and very difficult. The story on how and why he was fired from Ren & Stimpy is pretty well documented. Howard Stern had him on as a guest about 20 years ago, and he was very bitter and angry about the whole thing -- and also verbally beat-up voice actor Billy West, who had stayed on the show and taken on the voice of Ren (formerly done by Kricfalusi) in addition to the other voices he did. It was a very tense, awkward interview.

I'm very sympathetic to Kricfalusi because I think he's a bright, creative guy, but I also see that TV is a business, and you gotta finish the shows on-time and on-budget. Especially a modest-budget cable show.

17. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

MikaelaArsenault and Vidiot like this.
  18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Geez, this isn't even entertaining- it's just uncomfortable watching two bitter people take shots at each other because they both did their parts to kill the goose that was laying the golden eggs and neither could own up to it.

MikaelaArsenault and Vidiot like this.
  19. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I adore this show have it all on dvd I could careless about how much money it lost..
    There is one Episode called Broadcast Nuisance which was reshot and some scenes
    were deleted I seen it youtube it's so funny and mean spirited I love it..
    Animaniacs won 8 day time emmys so cost of that show
    really means very little to fans..
    I have the original guide sheets to all characters and some characters not used in the
    show:D

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, it was very, very awkward on the air. I think it was one of several reasons that Billy West ultimately left the show, because they had deliberately not told him that John Kricfalusi was coming in. I like Billy West quite a bit, and his uncomfortable response and the confrontational nature of that bit was not one of the high points of the Stern show.

Note that Billy West ultimately had a clash with the station management over his weekly pay on the Howard Stern Show, and he left and wound up becoming one of the biggest cartoon voice actors in Hollywood -- including a long, well-paid stint as the red M&M in the candy commercials. (Character actor J.K. Simmons plays the yellow M&M.) Billy has never returned to the Stern show, so I suspect there's bad blood there; it's a shame, because he's a really entertaining guy.

MikaelaArsenault and AKA like this.
  21. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

"YES!!!!" indeed...to hell with Animaniacs, just bring back Pinky and the Brain!

22. In, for more of Pinky and the Brain.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That I would love to see. My understanding is that Brain is still trying to take over the world.

My head almost exploded the first time I saw the Pinky & The Brain segment where they re-enacted the famous Orson Welles "Frozen Peas" outtake...

"I take direction from one person... under protest! But from two I won't sit still!"

24. MikaelaArsenault

I guess that Billy doesn't even get along well with John at all. And Disney too.

25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I want to see more shorts with the two squirrels whose names escape me- the mother and son.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.