Roger Waters 'Us + Them' Tour 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

I certainly see your point and I don't like voice-over or whatever. But, the pigs and lights and such aren't so much as gimmicks as they are part of a concert experience. And, as far as I could tell, everybody else was live. For me, Roger Waters never had a beeeyutiful voice, or even a Dylan/Petty voice. Waters was one of the very best at conveying hatred and sneering in his vocals. His bass playing never seemed superb to me. The attraction is in the music he helped create, and I went to see the closest thing I could to a PF show, cause I missed them in the 70s. Parts of it I did not enjoy. The personal/political junk quickly became annoying, but it's Roger Waters, so what else do you expect.

footlooseman, Preston and tumbledweeb like this.
  2. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

I just saw Roger's show in Kansas City, but was too far away to tell if he was lip-syncing or not. Enjoyed it thoroughly, as did the vast majority of the audience (a few did not like the visuals accompanying "Money" or "Pigs").

jonj likes this.
  3. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have to say that I agree with Roger. I saw Bob Dylan in June of 2016. He sang a lot of Sinatra covers. I thoroughly disliked his attempts to get through these wonderful songs, and wondered what is he doing? Why did I waste my money on this?

I saw Ella Fitzgerald and Sarah Vaughan in their prime perform that Great American Songbook material, and Bob Dylan should not have attempted it, in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2017
    tkl7, JoeRockhead and Preston like this.
  4. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

I love Dylan and I love the Sinatra stuff, but I don't think Roger said anything a lot of other people have said. Dylan doing Sinatra ain't for everybody.

Hot Ptah and pablorkcz like this.
  5. dkswaff

dkswaff Forum Resident

People may not like it, but to insinuate that Bob is only doing it so people will still come see him is ludicrous. And I've seen Bob several times in the past decade, and there have been shows that were tough for even me to sit through. But he's earned the right to play around with other music as he sees fit. It's especially rich when the only way Waters can draw an audience is to trot The Wall back out every year. It's universally known that he would re-join Pink Floyd to regain that sliver of fame, when it was he that tried to shut them down when he left.

footlooseman likes this.
  6. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Roger just added a 3rd show in Toronto, when the other two haven't even come CLOSE to selling out.

Looking forward to some verrrrrrrry cheap tickets.

Pennywise and footlooseman like this.
  7. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Just added a third show in Chicago while plenty of seats are still available for the first 2 shows.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    footlooseman likes this.
  8. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

Unless the comp tickets came directly from Roger Waters management they are still probably paid for. By somebody.

9. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

Looks to me like the New Orleans show has less than half the seats sold and 300-level tickets have dropped to below 40 bucks each. Roger had a show scheduled here in 2000 that was cancelled, rumor has it, because of low ticket sales. Slightly worrying.

10. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

Waters lip syncs his shows and has been doing so for years. He has been filling seats by playing albums and using props from the 1970s.

He has no business criticizing Dylan.

11. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

And Bob's put out 11 albums since 1992.

mando_dan, dkswaff and tumbledweeb like this.
  12. j4yheindeo

j4yheindeo Forum Resident

Bad Street
    Nasty and Hot

(wish I had the next line)

dkswaff likes this.
  13. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

Other than variety, it would have been nice not only to hear the new album in its entirety live, but it would also be nice if he released a live version of it for those of us that felt the studio album was too compressed. I loved his performance of Deja Vu on Colbert's show.

14. Hot Ptah

I marvel at how much negativity has been produced on this thread over a tour which has barely started, when all who have actually attended the first few shows have enjoyed them.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  15. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

RIP new tour thread

16. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

Can't discuss show as even mentioning its subject matter is "trolling", apparently.

Oh well. Back to the brainless stuff, then...

17. Hot Ptah

I might point out that the show is in two parts, with an intermission between them. The first half has no political content, except that a group of local children was brought out to dance (very well) to Another Brick in the Wall, and they were wearing T shirts with the word Resist on them, which became visible only at the end of their dance when they took off what they had on over them. Otherwise the first half was all a visual show involving images of outer space, clocks, a seashore, and other images which were not political.

The second half contained the songs from Animals and the song Money, which had the political visuals. Then that ended, and several songs were performed without politically oriented visuals.

Roger spoke little at the concert, and all he said was that he was grateful for the great audience, and to introduce the band members. He gave no political speeches.

So the majority of the show was not politically oriented.

18. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

"Picture a leader with no f*cking brains."
    It could also be argued that Deja Vu and The Last Refugee also have political implications but not as obviously blatant.

dkswaff, The_Windmill and Cassius like this.
  19. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

As I alluded to in my post above, only two songs "Pigs" and "Money" had any obvious political content in the visuals, plus the RESIST t-shirt wearing dancers you refer to above.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  20. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

from the last time I saw Dylan perhaps he should consider going the Waters route

Hot Ptah likes this.
  21. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

No video but pictures of Phil and his magical broom.

Grateful Dead - favorite photos of the band

Rich C likes this.
  22. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Did your show have the confetti/tickertape "RESIST" shower at the end?

23. Hot Ptah

I saw ticker tape but no RESIST. If there was a reference to Resist I completely missed it.

24. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

At the Louisville show, each and every one I saw had "RESIST" printed on it.

25. Hot Ptah

Oh I did not look at the pieces of ticker tape. It didn't seem like anyone else was doing so either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.