John Mayer Drops New Song "Love on the Weekend", Announces Album "The Search for Everything" (2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Nov 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I wonder which cut is superior? They are probably both digital....Greg Calbi being involved is a sign, as he only deals with the digital side.

The GZ will no doubt be cut on their new DMM lathe I assume?

2. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Picked up the vinyl a few days ago.

The music seems very bass heavy. Almost too much, am I'm a bass player. And the quality of the pressing is lackluster. I gave it a cleaning through my ultrasonic and just the first side resulted in my cleaning my stylus three times because of debris it picked up. Seems like I had to clean it after each song. Never had this issue before and I've cleaned hundreds of records through my US cleaner.

So, if you're going to buy this know that you may have to tweak your Es and give it a few cleans.

3. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Interesting. I didn't have any issues with the vinyl. It wasn't a QRP or RTI clean but it was not too bad and I DEFINITELY did not have gunk picked up by my stylus and I have a Shibata tip too.

Mr. Explorer and Szeppelin75 like this.
  4. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Yeah, I thought it was strange. Not sure if it's because it's a 45 and the stylus on my Ortofon Bronze went deeper than normal, but either way after the first listen I went back to a few tracks and it's definitely less noisey. Guess that's one way to clean a record!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  5. Memphisflash

Memphisflash Forum Resident

I have that same stylus, did a cleaning on my Okki Nokki, and didn't have any problems with the records - bad luck maybe?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  6. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

My copy was clean, don't remember any issues last week.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  7. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Yeah could have been. The record store looked especially fingerprint-y and dirty when I took them out before cleaning. Either way it got cleaned and sounded much better after the gunk got out of there.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  8. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

Sterling RJ is Ray Janos. He must have cut the lacquer.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  9. Brendan Mulhaire

Brendan Mulhaire Forum Resident

First pass listen now. (Vinyl). Nice album.

10. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Ive listened to it 3 times now i like it a lot. Best thing since Continuum.

Drag that is cut at 45. Having to get up and flip/ change records every three songs sucks.

Nice quality pressing

11. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Why is it a drag? I would prefer a 45rpm record wherever possible and wherever time allows...

12. Szeppelin75

Because you have to get up every 15 minutes.

13. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Might aswell go for streaming then :)

14. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

Are we really that lazy as a society that we find it a burden to get up every 15 minutes to turn a LP over? There's always a CD option that requires no turning over, or as @richbdd01 mentioned, streaming!

15. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Cos if you go for vinyl, you're after more of an audiophile experience surely?. Well, for me it is....sound quality is the main priority. Otherwise I may aswell have not bought that turntable or expensive cart?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  16. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

I must admit I'm with Szep here.
    For me, it interrupts the album flow if it's broken up into 12 minute or less intervals as this one is.
    I'd understand it for an album too long for a standard release but this isn't that.

MikaelaArsenault and Szeppelin75 like this.
  17. Szeppelin75

It does.

Such a great album that youhave to interrupts three times. it has a ncie flow, but everytime you get up to flip/change discs it cuts the mood. Nice sounding pressing though.

18. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Enjoyed the album on first listen... will have to give it another spin very soon!

MikaelaArsenault and Szeppelin75 like this.
  19. Lukamus

Lukamus Well-Known Member

My copy is clean and has no surface noise. Sounds pristine. I have to agree that this is his best work since continuum.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they put less music on each side in order to cut down on inner groove distortion? I've heard a couple mastering engineers say this and it typically leads to a better press. And I believe 45 RPM leaves less room for stylus tracking errors.

20. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident

Just got back from the Houston show tonight. UNBELIEVABLE.

I saw him in 06 and '13 and tonight was by far the best show I've ever seen him play. His band was tight and he came ready to jam!!

21. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

I personally steer away from 45 RPM cuts. Doesn't seem natural for the 12 inch format. I expect so much on a side of a record and this case, I think he could've fit the whole album on one LP and not charged double LP prices.

If he wants to do double LP at 45 and charge me single LP prices, love it, this case, he's stretching his buck.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  22. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I had let this guy pas me right on by but thin Continuum caught my ear. It was like this is no necessarily my style but I like it. From that point I did the same think I did before with John Mayer, I ignored hime but again he newest album caught my earn and now I'm thinking a bit more how this guy can play and write and sing.

wbhendrix and Szeppelin75 like this.
  23. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

Thread revival!

Never been a John Mayer superfan but over the years I’ve really enjoyed Room for Squares, Try! and Battle Studies (I know, I know :p).

Few months back my brother lent me his CD of the Search for Everything. I listened to it on a long drive home after seeing my wife off for a long time away. I was feeling lonely and the music hit me in the right emotional spot and I played the album like 3 times that morning. Something made me revisit it again last week and I’ve had it on repeat daily.

So many great songs and even the lesser compositions have the same great playing, great vocals and this amazing vibe that you just get lost in. It’s not sad music or happy music, it just makes me kind of warm inside.

I particularly love In the Blood, Emoji of a Wave and You’re Gonna Live Forever in Me.

wwright, djost, Memphisflash and 5 others like this.
  24. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

I happened to see a sealed CD copy of The Search For Everything today at my local Goodwill for $.99.

Now, I have nothing against John Mayer but I also have to admit that I've never really considered myself a fan either.

But hey. $.99. I figured I'd give it a listen and if I didn't like it, I could give it to one of my music loving Nieces as a gift.

Well. I stand corrected. After just one listen, I'm thinking $.99 was quite the bargain.

Quite nice.

Pleasantly surprised

25. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

This is a great album. Might be my favorite Mayer album...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.