MFSL now doing 7 Bob Dylan titles in mono (hybrid SACD)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by agentalbert, Sep 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. :wtf:

Please give it a rest and go listen to some music. Your argument is futile, derailing and I'm close to hitting 'ignore'.

2. markmck79

markmck79 Forum Resident

Please, by all means, hit 'ignore'. I'm merely trying to correct an inaccuracy that you, and others on this forum, continue to perpetuate. I have no intention to derail the conversation. You simply will not accept the correction to your inaccurate statement. As the owner of hundreds of MoFi and MFSL prints, a former employee and buyer for of one of the largest MoFi customers, and most importantly a fan of their work, I'm merely trying to keep things accurate.

3. Your vociferous ignorance isn't going to change the facts, regardless of your rhetoric. And yes, I've hit ignored. Feel free to argue with yourself. :tiphat:

4. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Yeah I am hitting ignore too!

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  5. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Whew, glad that's over. Would hate to see the thread closed over it. :chill: My shipment is suppose to be delivered today (on FedEx truck for delivery). I am holding my breath on whether or not each case has the right disc in it.

CBackley and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  6. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Guys, This is a BION (believe it or not) story. My order from Music Direct arrived this afternoon and when I examined it I found two things that I was hoping for and one thing that I was not hoping for and did not expect. The two things that I was hoping for is that I went seven for seven twice. :D I order seven new MFSL SACD's (that included the three Dylan mono SACD's) and all seven had the correct disc in the correct case (first thing) and all the cases were numbered (second thing)! :righton: The thing I was not hoping for and not expecting is that along with my order they shipped to me another person's order!!! :help:

I got the invoice for both orders with the shipment and the invoice number for my order and the other order differ by one digit, and each invoice number has a long string of 6's and 9's where they have the one digit difference. This probably caused the mistake. I called Music Direct and they are going to make it right on both ends.

I have been doing a lot of nickle and dime shopping on the internet lately and have three other orders that are on the way to me. I am going hold my breath each time I open one of them. :rolleyes:

I will report back on my impressions on the Dylan mono SACD's as soon as I play them and here's to good shopping for all of you.

Mr. Explorer, Plan9 and Lonson like this.
  7. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

So that is 3 of the MFSL mono sacds out of a total of 7 released now. Bob Dylan, Bringing It All Back Home and John Wesley Harding. On a side note the vinyl monos appear to have stopped for a bit. MFSL sure are an odd bunch. Nevermind no doubt they will all arrive one day.

8. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I've been very happy the three mono releases so far. I bought all the stereo releases on vinyl, which I think are fantastic, but I'm a fan of the CD and SACD format too. No regrets going with the mono Dylan SACDs.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  9. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I have the mono box set that Columbia put out; 8 albums, plus a great booklet for less than the price of 2 MOFI SACDs!

chaz likes this.
  10. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I thought the BIABH and Another Side of, Planet Waves and Blood on the Tracks original SACDs from Sony sounded amazingly good. JWH, Desire and some of the others, not so much but there's only so far you can take those recordings.

No and I ain't looking to replace them, deface them or misplace them. All I really want MoFi to do is choose an artist other than Dylan or Miles to be friends with.

Mr. Explorer and No Static like this.
  11. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I'm glad MoFi tackled these, as they all sound better, and for some, much better than the original Sony SACDs.
    But I also would like they get out of their comfort zone and try some other artists.

supermd, Echo and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  12. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I have the MoFi Times They Are a-Changing and New Morning (not mono). I like them, and MoFi did a great job, but not significantly better than the Sony. There are pros/cons to each. Probably should try out the Desire and JWH, as I believe the Sony SACDs have more room for improvement. But I have been let down by MoFi as often as not. More to the point, there should have been some research or polling as to whether to pursue stereo or mono for each title. The decision to release both is by any stretch total overkill given the lack of resources at MD/MoFi and the long line of important artists/titles that are not Dylan or Miles awaiting a good DSD transfer. We have now the option of buying these SACDs as the original Sony, the AF Greatest Hits and now two versions of each from MoFi. I guess the answer is "this is what sells" but how many times can they sell it without cannibalizing their own releases? Some fresh meat might make for a tastier treat.

Mr. Explorer and bruce2 like this.
  13. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Hey guys---I own all the MFSL Dylan SACD's (stereo, anyway). Re the mono JWH: is this a SGT. PEPPERS-level kind of difference mix-wise from the stereo mix? In other words, not ever having heard it, do I need it?

14. Yes.

Plan9, ssmith3046 and pdenny like this.
  15. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'm with you. It may be system-dependent, but the MOFI is my choice on all the releases so far, and I have them all. And I'm glad that they are doing the monos (still waiting to see what will become of B O B).

Glad they are doing the Davis catalog too, have every one and really enjoy them (especially that they are original mixes). Seems that has ended. . . too bad as I'd like to see more titles.

I'd like to see them tackle more jazz artists, but they can take their time, I've plenty to buy in the meantime!

Flaming Torch likes this.
  16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Did you call the number and ask Jim Davis?

17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I think that for JWH its not really a fair comparison to use Sgt Peppers as an example to whether or not the mono is radically different than the stereo version. Peppers is a swirling dense psych flavored album. JWH is a simple acoustic album.

Is JWH in mono different than JWH in stereo? Yes. But Id say both are very good mixes. I think it would come down to taste. I know that Steve has stated that he prefers the stereo mix for several sonic reasons. I prefer the mono mix simply because it seems to fit the mood of the album. A bit of starkness is served well with a tighter more narrow sound imo.

I have both mixes and like both. But I definitely play the mono lp more.

CBackley, pdenny and Lonson like this.
  18. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Good they use original mixes for the Miles Davis stuff. I am no Miles expert and find those threads pretty daunting! I have a handful of Miles titles on MFSL to go with my old 70s and 80s vinyl and the Sony box set and Legacy stuff.
    My system is poor but I think the 3 mono sacds so far are pretty good.
    Re JWH a real favourite album and I love both stereo and mono but I am not keen on the 2003 Sony stereo sacd hybrid.

Lonson likes this.
  19. Lonson

I have been listening to JWH a lot lately. The MoFi Stereo has made me compare it to the Sony which has been in the car since, the MoFi sounds much better to me on the main system. I have the mono SACD as well and I really enjoy it. Each is a good window into this fascinating work. I love the material on this album and its mysterious mood. . . and also how the programming moves from the abstract and "new" to a more mundane stance of the final songs. I think this album has been very influential and I didn't listen to it for a long time and this rediscovery has been a lot of fun and good listening.

I have to say I like both the mixes as well. Also the two are mastered by different engineers so you get a little different soundscape via that vehicle.

20. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Can't wait for the next mono SACD.

Shvartze Shabbos and Lonson like this.
  21. Lonson

22. Me too!

ssmith3046 likes this.
  23. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

I'm sitting here with the first two MoFi mono SACD's (S/T and BIABH). These are my first impressions after two days of listening.

Bob Dylan (1962): this one is the real winner so far. I always felt that the 2010 remaster was bright and very thin/frail sounding. I put it down to the limitations of the original recording, but it was never a pleasant listening experience. The new SACD removes some of the sharp edges of the 2010 release and adds a wonderful robust low-end (as much low-end as you can get from an acoustic guitar anyway). The album finally sounds full-bodied.

The opening of Talkin' New York and Song to Woody are the best examples of all these improvements. A WINNER!

(1965): Bringing It All Back Home: This one is more problematic. While it again adds the characteristics mentioned above, the bass does fell sightly goosed up in that MFSL kind of way. While it does make all-out-attacks like Maggie's Farm sound more pleasing, it also sounds "Hi-Fi" in a way the messes with the authentic feel I usually like from my mono mixes. The soundscape is also pushed foward in a way that I'm ambivalent about. I guess I need to listen a bit more, but this one is not a slam dunk on the first try IMO.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  24. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

If nothing else, the S/T certainly suggest that we would be looking at definitive versions for the first 4 albums.

The warmth and ambiance of the Stereo SACD's, but without the weird half baked stereo/mono mixes.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    Lonson likes this.
  25. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member Thread Starter

"The Times They Are A Changin'" (mono sacd) is now available and shipping from MD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.