Japanese obi strip question*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joy-of-radio, Jun 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm mystified as to the purpose of OBI strips that come with Japanese compact discs. I would love for someone to elaborate on why they are included, and what the number on the lowest most part of the strip signifies.

As an aside, I have noticed that the packaging and sound quality of Japanese import CDs are generally quite impressive when compared to CDs issued in other countries.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

fairies, Dave and Platterpus like this.
  2. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

My understanding is that these strips (which also exist for LPs and box sets) are for translation purposes - the album title/artist is translated into Japanese along with the track lists (sometimes). The "strip" still allows the primary cover art to be visible, and the strips can be tossed without compromising the original album sleeve. Also doesn't require any altering to the manufacturing other than slipping them on before shrink wrapping.

3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Number on lowest part is the Price in Yen
    They also carry date of manufacture, earlier pressing's use a letter code.
    This Cocteau Twins song (Athol-Brose) was used in a Japan Auto commercial, it add's the car it was being used for
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    igbee, eddiel, Dark Mavis and 3 others like this.
  4. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

for those who don't speak English ,they also give you info(Many times stuff not on original art work ,like performers ,recording and release dates

crispi and Joy-of-radio like this.
  5. JMGuerr

JMGuerr Forum Resident

6. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

That made my inner OCD cringe a little...

:sigh::cool::laugh::shake::winkgrin::yikes::yikes::wtf::wtf::faint::faint::faint:

7. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

I NEVER throw them out, but I'm sure many have hit the wastebaskets.

ccbarr, DanBNash, vince and 2 others like this.
  8. And isn't that the sort of thing that would get you banned around here? (Or at least admitting to it might.)

ccbarr, Joy-of-radio and lightbulb like this.
  9. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

If I upload a CD with an OBI to JRiver, I make sure the cover art has the OBI.
    OCD indeed.

ccbarr, GroovyGuy, forthlin and 8 others like this.
  10. spindoctor

spindoctor New Member

Its function is an advertising subject.

CDs or vinyls with OBI increase their value considerably. It is recommended not to get rid of them

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Yes. One of the first things I learned here, upon joining 7 years ago. My favorite example is the Allmans' Eat A Peach, Polydor P58P 25005/6. It has a genuine "3D " quality to it. Has stopped others that have heard it, in mid-sentence !

The Allman Brothers Band - Eat A Peach

Dave and Joy-of-radio like this.
  12. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Retail prices for music releases is pretty much standardized in Japan (although I have seen sale prices for new releases at larger retailers like Tower and HMV). Sometimes the obi (not "OBI") will have a higher introductory price that's in effect for a certain period of time (usually indicated by a date), after which point the list price will be reduced by a few yen (also indicated on the strip). You can see that on the Tokens CD at the top of the thread.

Incidentally, an obi is what the waist sash around a kimono is called. I suppose it resembles the wraparound onserts on Japanese LPs.

[​IMG]

MarkTheShark, duneman, Dave and 11 others like this.
  13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Originally, it was point-of-purchase marketing. It wasn't just for Japanese translations on foreign albums - records by Japanese artists also had obis (as do books, magazines and other items). A potential buyer sees promotional language, bold titles and other info , none of which will affect the jacket. It's like a slip cover on old books - collectors don't consider the item complete without it.

Dave, tmtomh, Joy-of-radio and 2 others like this.
  14. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident Thread Starter

I understand. When I got this Tokens release, I was pleasantly surprised to find the songs very analog-sounding! One of the songs, a favorite of mine titled "How Nice", is even presented in full dimensional (((stereo)))! All other currently available versions of this album present this song in mono. While I absolutely do not have an issue with that, the mono version appears to be a simple fold-down. The Japanese version is simply gorgeous!

Dave, Michael P and Myke like this.
  15. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Yes, LPs and CDs that have an obi do resemble the sash for traditional Japanese dress.
    The above photo conveys the elegant and beautiful nature of such an obi. :)

16. action pact

That's right, Japanese books often have bellybands too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dave, tmtomh, Vinyl Addict and 2 others like this.
  17. Evan

Evan Senior Member

I would say it is a culturally thing. The Japanese love their packaging.

Joy-of-radio and RevUp64 like this.
  18. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

The two prices noted are base price and then price with tax. In The Tokens example, 2,520 yen is the price.

Edit: value added tax used to be 5%. 2,400 x 1.05 = 2,520
    This was increased to 8% in 2013.

tmtomh and Joy-of-radio like this.
  19. action pact

That is certainly true, although I'm not sure if it really relates to obis and the bellybands.

My wife says that they get delight from opening attractively-packaged objects, that the experience is like unwrapping a present, and serves to enhance the enjoyment of the package's contents.

Even the lunch you take with you to school or work is attractively wrapped in a cloth:

[​IMG]

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  20. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

I think it's a bit like collecting stamps...

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  21. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I was going to say they like things 'tied up' neatly. :eek::D

22. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Common crossword clue... Obi? = Sash.

Do they also contain dates that are used for pricing laws? I thought at one time that there were regulatory rules affecting those amounts. Just thought there may be a period after initial release where they could not be sold under a certain value. Maybe one of the reasons that they often contain bonus tracks to offer incentive to not buy the same title from other countries at a lower price.

edit; heck I see action pact covered that. Should have read the posts better before posting my own.

Pizza likes this.
  23. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I live and breath for obi. I would never buy a Japanese CD without one.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  24. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Bad bad boy!!!!! Don't be saying things like that;)

25. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

I got some OCD for you. Does anyone know if there is a secondary market for obis? I've got some second-hand Japanese vinyl that came without any and I almost wish I'd never bought them (despite the awesome pressing quality).:doh:

tmtomh and uzn007 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.