Universal's 'The Mummy' (2017 movie)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Karnak, Nov 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Amazing that Cruise survives a plane crash without a scratch AND his hair still in place. I can't really add much more than that. As long as they put in the obligatory running scene for Tom we'll be good. ;)

I will admit for the first 5 seconds or so I thought it might be another Jack Reacher movie! Lol

2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I understand that he's the Big Draw but I don't rejoice in it. He's not THAT good. And this looks like it's gonna be the standard teeth gritting **** blowin' up Tom Cruise vehicle. I've seen a bunch Tom Cruise action movies that I remember absolutely zip about. They're as substantial as a bag of popcorn.

4. dkmonroe

Looks like he doesn't survive but comes back to life.

But how the hell is he not just a puddle of limbs after that crash? There shouldn't be enough of him left to be revived.

5. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

MikaelaArsenault and Manimal like this.
  6. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..." Thread Starter

Bite your tongue!;)

Oh ye of little faith...

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I still don't understand why Tom Cruise is such a box office draw. He has no charisma and his movies are all the same bland, boring garbage.

8. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Saw a longer preview right before the Fate of the Furious.

Looks very good.

9. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  10. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

11. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Another mummy movie?

[​IMG]

MikaelaArsenault and smilin ed like this.
  12. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Since Top Gun, I can't think of any of his movies that lost money. Maybe Rock Of Ages, but everything else made back their budgets and more.

MikaelaArsenault and Encuentro like this.
  13. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Will be seeing this on Saturday. I think the previews look great.

14. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

15. JD Aldie

JD Aldie Forum Resident

The trailer oozes corporate desperation and greed.

16. dkmonroe

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Trailer looked meh.
    And no Tom Cruise dialogue in it.
    Bad reviews.

18. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

Why do I feel like Harrison Ford will show up in this film?

19. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I will rent it but probably not own it .. comes off to fast like a video game
    really sad.. Yes.. Universal is desperate.. The Wolfman was ok I should see it again..
    Bored with Tom Cruise though.

20. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Where's Daddy?

dbz likes this.
  21. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Just got back from seeing this. It was actually fairly decent (not great, not bad, but above average.) The first 3/4 of the movie, IMO, were the best. I wish it just had a better ending than it did. Russell Crowe played a good Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde in this movie and was probably the best thing in the movie. Though, Tom Cruise and the actresses who play the mummy and the female archaeologist were pretty good too. I think the movie is well worth a Summer matinee viewing. There are a few sudden "jumpy" scares in the movie too along with a tiny bit of humor (Tom Cruise's sidekick soldier provides the humor.)

We already know remakes of Bride Of Frankenstein with Javier Bardem and The Invisible Man with Johnny Depp are going to be part of the Universal Dark Universe, but could there be more?

Dr. Jekyll, in this movie, is a collector of ancient relics and creatures having to do with evil in pursuit of studying, dissecting, and eventually finding a cure for his own inner monster. In his laboratory/museum there is a quick glance of some of the stuff he has collected over the years. If you blink, you will miss some of them. But in a glass jar you see the skull of a vampire (Dracula maybe?) and in another jar you see a hand of a swamp creature (Creature From The Black Lagoon maybe?) So, these little, quick glances could be Easter Eggs for unannounced future Dark Universe movies. One dealing with Dracula (2014's Dracula is not considered canon for the Dark Universe) and one dealing with Creature From The Black Lagoon. Also, I read a couple days ago that there are rumors of possibly having a Wolfman movie (the one from a few years ago also not part of the Dark Universe,) The Hunchback of Notre Dame movie and a new The Phantom of The Opera movie to be part of the Dark Universe. Don't know how true those rumors are, though.

22. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Any post-credit scenes? Just wondering whether I need to stay in the movie theater until then.

23. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

No

The director felt it didn't need one. Maybe once the the Dark Universe establishes itself, future ones might. But for this one, he didn't want to "copy" what the MCU does with their movies.

5th-beatle likes this.
  24. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Thanks, that will save me a few minutes of useless waiting.

25. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I'm glad they chose a lead that's actually much older than the mummy itself.

dbz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.