The Eric Clapton album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DoF, Dec 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I can understand that. Studio is an automatic buy for me also but too many live albums, far too many, for me at least.

2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I am the opposite. I gave up on the studio albums and am more likely to pick up the live ones. I got this one cheaply.

I liked this one better than One More Car, One More Rider. I agree with you on the acoustic version of Layla.

laf848 and Almost Simon like this.
  3. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

Looks like some of my comments didn't make it. Oh well...nothing really worth listening to has come this way. Although overall this isn't too bad, this isn't even in the same ballpark as the Hyde Park DVD. Not to mention the abundance of live recordings. Just not the Clapton I signed up for !

Almost Simon likes this.
  4. Almost Simon

I'm not wishing this thread away but very close to the end, should finish the albums within the next week.

2016: Crossroads Revisited: Selections from the Crossroads Guitar Festivals
    2016: I Still Do
    2016: Live in San Diego

It was mentioned about a Traffic AbA thread starting, that does sound very appealing. I know its been mentioned to discuss the Clapton "odds and sods" once we're past Live in San Diego. Are there any other Clapton related threads that are begging to be started? I guess with Cream and solo being covered there isn't much else now.

kollektionist likes this.
  5. kollektionist

A thread I would like to see is one on Clapton's guest appearances. Unfortunately, as evidenced by one already in existence, this turned out to be just a listing of what he's on, rather than discussing the session, musical merit, the other musicians, etc etc. I would in particular love to see a discussion on the not so obvious guest sessions. In other words, albums/tracks he might be on or albums where it's not so obvious which tracks he's on. Just a thought...

Yes, would also love to see a Traffic AbA thread !

Almost Simon likes this.
  6. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

I'm not familiar with the album, but that a man admired as EC takes time to honor one of the most consequential figures of the 20th century - not just in jazz and blues - and someone can only shrug it off with "eh, I don't like it" just annoys me. Like a child who whines publicly at being taken to the museum.
    Sorry, it's just disappointing when people who purport to appreciate music don't recognize the larger context.

Tom Daniels and goodboyfred like this.
  7. Almost Simon

Crossroads Revisited: Selections from the Crossroads Guitar Festivals (2016)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Almost Simon

Only a few left....

2016: I Still Do
    2016: Live in San Diego

I don't own Crossroads Revisited but looks a decent setlist, anyone got this and able to review?? Might be one to put on my "to get" list.

9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I have this one and like it. I don't like all of the tracks but I like the majority of it.

laf848 and Almost Simon like this.
  10. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

I have this three cd set and I am glad that I do. Tons of great players throughout the discs. One of my favorites is the Have You Ever Loved A Woman from the Dallas Festival. Eric Clapton is flat out on fire. After Billy Preston's solo, EC brings the song to a conclusion with his guitar spitting out molten lava. Like the After Midnight version done with JJ Cale. What I have always loved about Eric's playing is that he can slide into any style that is needed at the time, masterfully. Whether kicking it out with JJ, bluesing it up with BB, ripping away with Sonny Landreth or some sweet country picking with Vince Gill, the man can do it all. The Best

laf848 likes this.
  11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I like Jeff Beck's playing on it.

Jam757 and RPOZ51 like this.
  12. kollektionist

The larger context, at least as far as I'm concerned, is that Clapton's reputation is based on his work up to 461OB. Those who liked became fans. Many moved on. Me, as a fan, don't get past Journeyman. Couldn't care less for anything after that. Still a huge Clapton fan, but for his earlier work.
    In this thread, the last bunch of albums are a chor to go through, apparently not just for me. Nevertheless, we make comments. What does one say about at least half a dozen albums that are so below standard it's just not funny anymore. Is that whining for being taken to the museum ? Maybe I'm stuck in my 60's/70's cloud, but I'd rather spend my time listening to something I like than get annoyed by something I don't appreciate.
    I do appreciate your attitude in this, but like I said before, we don't have to like it just because Clapton felt like doing it...

13. kollektionist

Not the type of albums I enjoy. Clapton's cool here and some nice guest appearances but there's no unity to it. The main thought I get from a release like this is that he's trying to get $$ for his Crossroads charity. A worthy cause, no doubt, but the emphasis lies on the concert, not on the hey-we-can make-some-extra-money-CD-release. So yeah, it's wasted on me, but if you're into that sort of stuff, you could do worse.

14. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

So below standards may be your opinion though that surely does not make it fact. Keep spinning Wheels Of Fire, which I also like.

15. kollektionist

No, it does not make it a fact. It's an opinion, which is what this thread is all about.

16. Almost Simon

17. Almost Simon

18. Almost Simon

See if we get anymore input about Crossroads otherwise i'll post the final studio album tomorrow.

19. Almost Simon

I Still Do (2016)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Produced by Glyn Johns
    Released - 20 May 2016

1. "Alabama Woman Blues"
    Leroy Carr 5:06
    2. "Can't Let You Do It" J. J. Cale 3:50
    3. "I Will Be There" (featuring Angelo Mysterioso) Paul Brady, John O'Kane 4:37
    4. "Spiral" Eric Clapton, Andy Fairweather Low, Simon Climie 5:04
    5. "Catch the Blues" Eric Clapton 4:51
    6. "Cypress Grove" Skip James 4:49
    7. "Little Man, You've Had a Busy Day" Maurice Sigler, Mabel Wayne, Al Hoffman 3:11
    8. "Stones in My Passway" Robert Johnson 4:03
    9. "I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine" Bob Dylan 4:02
    10. "I'll Be Alright" Traditional 4:23
    11. "Somebody's Knockin'" J. J. Cale 5:11
    12. "I'll Be Seeing You" Irving Kahal, Sammy Fain 5:00

Limited Edition "Denim Box" version – Bonus Tracks

13. "Lonesome"
    14. "Freight Train"

Eric Clapton – guitars · tambourine · vocals
    Henry Spinetti – drums · percussion
    Dave Bronze – electric bass · double bass
    Andy Fairweather Low – guitars · vocals
    Paul Carrack – hammond organ · vocals
    Chris Stainton – keyboards
    Simon Climie – guitars · keyboards
    Dirk Powell – accordion · mandolin · vocals
    Walt Richmond – keyboards
    Ethan Johns – percussion
    Michelle John – vocals
    Sharon White – vocals
    Angelo Mysterioso (Ed Sheeran on "I Will Be There") – acoustic guitar · vocals

20. Almost Simon

21. Almost Simon

22. Almost Simon

23. kollektionist

More JJ Cale, more Robert Johnson...Jeeeezz !

DTK likes this.
  24. Almost Simon

I quite like this album. Well, I don't like the accordion, replace that with some nice Hammond organ a la Dick Simms/Bobby Whitlock then I'm in but a nice album. Horrible word to use to describe an album but I like it. Reminds me of his 70's work, gentle feel, not perfect but in focus with the previous studio effort. A few new songs. JJ Cale again as mentioned, surely by now all the Johnson tunes have been used up so I do agree with kollektionist on that point.

Do we know where the 2 extra tracks come from? Writers??

25. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

I must say I quite like this one. I was surprised. I don't know if Clapton raised his game for Glyn Johns, who knows, but there is a certain quality to this release that has been missing from his, sad to say, more than just recent releases. The man is over 70 and while he doesn't tear it up guitar wise (he didn't exactly do that on 461 either) the song quality and production are finally back up to where I expect Clapton to be. Also SQ on this release is tops. The "I Still Do" video above that @Almost Simon so kindly posted is a must for fans. The reminisces are great and when he gives directions to his house over the phone is pretty cool. Another great part is where the reporter says he dislikes the acoustic Layla and Clapton's response. Again a great candid look at Clapton!

In the end if Clapton decided to retire and this was his last studio effort I would say he went out on a high note.

Almost Simon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.