Blade Runner 2049

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ponkine, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Thought the release date was 10th of June........not the other way round.
    :rolleyes:

turnersmemo likes this.
  2. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

I suspect that it will be like the Trainspotting sequel. Pretty enjoyable, but ultimately it's existence was unnecessary.

DHamilton likes this.
  3. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

This can apply to so many movies lately, it's scary. I'm looking forward to it and will be buying any promo books I can find, as I loved the original. Without Ryan Gosling, it wouldn't have been made. He was great in THE NICE GUYS, so I'm hoping for something interesting, at the very least.

4. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

That is very true. Doesn't seem any movie is safe from sequelitits, no matter how far removed from the original we are. I'd not be surprised to wake up tomorrow and see that a Bridge on the River Kwai sequel has been announced.

5. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

That would be Revenge of the Bridge over the River Kwai, with a dance remix of the famous march as a tie-in.

conjotter and ssmith3046 like this.
  6. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Pretty much this. Blade Runner is one of my favorite movies, but I have a bad feeling this sequel will be meh... looks like it's beautifully shot though.

Karnak likes this.
  7. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

Thing is, I say it jokingly, but I legitimately fear it could happen. Movies just can't be made to stand on their own anymore. This is particularly true of the superhero genre where the only purpose of one movie is to setup for and tease the next, who's purpose is the same until it's become old hat and they just reboot in a never ending rinse-and-repeat cycle.

8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

True. I think there are two major drivers for this. One is the hope to cash-in from a previously popular work, and depending on how far back the original work was released, there is the added incentive to milk nostalgic sentiment among potential viewers.

The second factor is that the was majority of decision makers in the major studios don't have any imagination, creativity or originality - they're strictly bean counters. So they cannot recognize the value in a totally new movie pitch for which there isn't some kind of preexisting built-in audience. They feel familiar with something that was done before and so green-light these projects without thinking too much (or taking a risk on something new).

9. ggg71

ggg71 Forum Resident

There's always a chance it becomes an Aliens. I just hope they don't try to reshoot the same movie over again. Do something new!

10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Giving this a miss, can't stand
    Ryan Gosling.

Ghostworld likes this.
  11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yeah, I'm hearing it's a pretty good scarefest. I'll see it.

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I remember my first viewing and the theater and also being quite content with the entire film -- the story as well. It's a good film. Maybe some so revered just gets picked to death. Although no one ever f%^& with "Alien!" That's almost perfection.

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

14. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

In the original.......how would Roy know Deckard's name?
    Is this part of the 'Deckard was a replicant' theory........as Roy would probably be aware of other rep's.

15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

How this b-actor shot to the top, I'll never know.

alexpop likes this.
  16. alexpop

Not charismatic, can't do dialogue.
    Another that gets on my goat is Josef Gordon Levit.

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

You don't think Gosling is charismatic? Wow, I don't understand the hate. I've enjoyed him in everything I've seen him in so far.

18. alexpop

The dude looks like wet wallpaper sliding down to the wooden floorboards. He's got no gravitas, wimpy voice.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I guess I just don't see it. I've seen him in Drive, Crazy Stupid Love, The Big Short, The Nice Guys, La La Land and have found him to be very charming, charismatic and dramatic when required. To each their own, I guess.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  20. alexpop

Drive " was good liked the soundtrack.
    The other good one that he happened to be in was The Place Beyond The Pines ( far superior film imo) but Bradley Cooper was the highlight I found.

21. alexpop

I've seen way loads better b movie actors, Jason Statham for one.

Ghostworld likes this.
  22. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Well, Gosling did get his start at the same time as Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera on The All-New Mickey Mouse club in the early '90s:

[​IMG]

hi_watt likes this.
  23. Another cash grab - the chances of this being any good are low. Cookie-cutter job expected.

24. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Reminds me of a comment in the extra features in the Blu-Ray release of Von Ryan's Express:

[Spoilered for those who have not seen the movie.]

The creative team wanted to film two endings, with one where Colonel Ryan (Frank Sinatra) lived so that they could do a sequel but Sinatra refused. They only filmed the Ryan's final scene with him dying, making it unlikely that a sequel would be made...although a remake might be done.

25. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

I'll watch it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.