CD stores in Detroit, MI

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by boiledbeans, Jun 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'll be visiting Detroit for a few days at the end of this month (June 2016). It will be my first time in the US.

Where would I be able to find a large selection of new CDs of pop/rock from 1960s to present-day, at reasonable prices, i.e. something equivalent to HMV in the UK?

I'll be staying at Edward Village hotel, which is right next to Fairlane Town Center. So preferably stores that are not too far away.

2. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Dearborn Music is just down Michigan Avenue from your hotel: Dearborn Music - Home »

Scope J, Farmer Mike and Daryl M like this.
  3. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Definitely Dearborn Music for where you will be staying.

If you happen to come to the east side, Melodies & Memories »

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

does 'repeat the beat" still exist in the detroit area?

they opened a great store in cleveland, lasted a couple of years, and then disappeared, literally, overnight.

5. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies, I will definitely visit Dearborn Music!

I plan to visit the Motown Museum as well. Does anyone have any experiences of visiting it to share? According to their website, they seem to be pretty strict - only guided tours and no photography.

6. olson

olson Forum Resident

If you are going to Dearborn Music you might also want to check out Stormy Records, it is in the same neighborhood. More of a vinyl store, but they do sell used CD's.

stormy records | Home Page »

I've never been to the Motown Museum.

7. steelydanguy

steelydanguy Forum Resident

I'm a Midwest native (Minnesota) but have never visited Michigan or Detroit.

Someday, I would like to visit Detroit, including the Motown museum, and not-too-far-away Ann Arbor, which I hear is a great college town. I'd also be interested in checking out the record stores in both places. I remember reading years ago that the Detroit area was a pretty great place to shop for records; in Richie Unterberger's "Music USA" book from the late 1990s, he described the stores as being huge and warehouse-like. But I get the impression now that Detroit's record store scene has faded along with an economy that has struggled. Anyone able to weigh in on that subject? I know that Ann Arbor is supposed to still have some nice stores, including Encore Records.

8. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

They've been gone since the late 90's I think, and the owner died in 2010. This article from Billboard is about the Cleveland store
    Billboard »

9. Farmer Mike

Found Sound in Ferndale is worth checking out, they carry mostly vinyl, but have a lot of CD's.
    Record store spotlight: Found Sound »
    I don't find Melodies and Memories prices on CD's all that reasonable. I was in there on Record Store Day and they had mid-line titles, that have been in their bins for years(some still in long boxes) priced 2 to 4 dollars over list. There is a lot of product and you might find something that is OOP, but no bargains. They carry a lot of "boutique" recordings also, a lot of it classic Detroit rock 60 to 80's.

patient_ot likes this.
  10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

thanks for that.

i still don't know why they picked and left in the middle of the night (a neighboring store owner said a big semi pulled in about 8:00pm and by morning everything was gone.)

11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If you're looking for mainstream-ish rock stuff on CD from the 60s/70s/etc. Dearborn Music is by far the best bet in terms of selection and pricing for both new and used CDs. All the other stores in the area I've ever been to have small selections of used CDs mostly and have mainly switched over the recent vinyl trend.

Re: Melodies and Memories, the couple times I've been there I found them largely to be a waste of time. High prices and probably not much you can't find elsewhere. They also have bootleg CDRs in the racks being sold as "rare" used CDs or whatever.

Farmer Mike likes this.
  12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

There many record stores in the metro area/suburbs, which is nothing like whatever you've seen on the news. Even certain areas of the city limits have been or are being rebuilt. A lot of the record stores that were around in the 90s are gone now, but new stores have taken their place. I don't live in the area right now but I always found shopping at area stores to be hit or miss over the last few years. You really have to do the rounds at your favorite shops at least once a week to find the stuff you want and you will probably come up empty handed sometimes. Prices and selection everywhere can vary quite a lot. One trend that the area isn't immune to is the same stuff you see at records stores everywhere lately. Overpriced, overgraded used vinyl. I'm sure this has to do with the recent vinyl trend that's hit every major metro area it seems.

steelydanguy likes this.
  13. Farmer Mike

There were financial issues, some self inflicted, some not.

14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

interesting, the rumors were that the brothers who own the 'exchange" stores forced them (or bought them) out.

15. olson

olson Forum Resident

BTW, a local weekly newspaper, The Metro Times, frequently has Dearborn Music sale ads. Might be worth checking into if you are planning on making a large purchase there.

Will probably have them in the Hotel Lobby.

patient_ot likes this.
  16. olson

olson Forum Resident

Dad's and Grad's Sale

Come on in an take part of our dad's and grad's sale. 20% off all media (CD's, DVD's, Vinyl, and Blu-ray) CD's priced at $15.98 and $16.98 which are 10% off Excludes sale items see store for details sale ends 06/26/16.

17. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Thanks for the update and the article about "Repeat The Beat". Sorry to hear that the owner has since died and I always wondered what happened to their store in Dearborn, as I went there once or twice. The Cleveland (Parma) store was huge and had lots of imports and was easily one of the best record stores this area has ever seen, in my opinion, Earlier this year, my wife and I made the trip up to Dearborn, to visit the Henry Ford Museum and naturally, being that close to "Dearborn Music", I had to stop by. I was about knocked out at how much that area has changed (for the better, by the way) and the new location of the store was nicely laid out and I'm sure, because of that, I spent far longer in there than my wife would have liked. Thankfully, there was a coffee shop nearby, which usually calms her down.

I also found it interesting that the thread starter was staying close to "Fairlane Town Center". In the old days ('80's and early 90's), I would have dropped my wife off at that mall and then drive over to "Dearborn Music" and "Repeat The Beat" for a few hours. But the last time I did that she felt VERY uncomfortable and said that she didn't ever want to do that again. This last time we went, she didn't even bring up "Fairlane Town Center" and in reading this thread, I have to be honest and say that I'm surprised that the place is actually still there and open.

18. Bad Samaritan

Bad Samaritan Forum Resident

I'll be in Detroit this week, Rochester Hills area. Any updates on area record stores or new recommendations?

19. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I left the area in February, but Dearborn Music on Michigan Avenue, mentioned above, is still around and is a great store. It's definitely worth the trip whether you're looking for vinyl or CDs.

20. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

You will need to drive a bit to get to a decent store. Are you looking for records or CDs?

21. Bad Samaritan

Visited Flipside Records in Clawson, I liked the store and selection, prices were not the greatest. Also visited another shop on Woodward, can't recall the name at the moment. Nothing memorable there. Going to Found Sound tomorrow but doubt I'll make it to Dearborn Music this time.

22. Bad Samaritan

Visited Found Sound in Ferndale, great indie store, liked it quite a bit. Also stopped by UHF in Royal Oak, nothing much to see there. I did enjoy driving up & down Woodward to all these places and getting the cultural flavor of the area.

23. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

The only shop I've been to in Detroit is Hello Records in Corktown. Great little shop. Might be vinyl only, though.

24. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

I only go to Flipside because it's next to the Japanese sushi bar. I found the prices way to expensive, most of the used records are scratched, covers worn. Stuff I wouldn't let touch my cartridge. Any record that's VG++ or better has an asking price way too high. Sometimes I bite because I'm too lazy to order online sight unseen.

patient_ot likes this.
  25. Bad Samaritan

I thought the prices were high at every shop I visited, to be honest. But I did like the vibe and selection for the most part at Flipside and Found Sounds. I bought a few things at Flipside and they were clean and not easy finds.

patient_ot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.