OLED TV/Monitor Owner Thread ver. Dolby Vision is neat

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by White_Noise, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident Thread Starter

After months of hand wringing and years of anticipation, I finally pulled the trigger on a 65" LG C6 OLED. (Almost went with the E6 but couldn't justify an extra thousand dollars for a crappy soundbar I'll never use with no difference in picture quality. Picture on glass is impressive but so is the $8000 wallpaper design...). The 2016 models are an immediate leap in brightness, color gamut, and software quality over the 2015 models. The 2017 models don't impress me...for a 15% brightness increase and maybe less black crush I'm not sacrificing 3D and for double the price.

Even after seeing the newest Sony and Pioneer OLEDs, I feel like I own the finest television ever made. I had been ambivalent about 3D, and now I'm snapping up every 3D blu ray I can find. A shame they've abandoned home 3D right after perfecting the technology and making it worth owning. I swear it's more immersive than any true IMAX screen I've watched.

Finally making the jump to 4k necessitated the purchase of a stand alone player capable of doing the screen justice. I opted for the LG UP970 because it was the only 4k/3d player I can rely on supporting Dolby Vision. Let me say definitively: 4k has always been great on a computer monitor 6inches from your face. I figured and still maintain that the difference between 1080p and 4k from couch distance is a minor upgrade and mostly barely perceptible at 65"....it's the proper use of HDR /Dolby Vision on an OLED screen that makes the jump from 1080p plasma or LED tech feel as significant as the jump from 480 to HD.

My Blu Ray collection is almost entirely either HDR or 3D films...I have to say given the option of both I almost always prefer the 3D presentation as the more immersive, considering the TV seems to do a decent job upscaling the image. Dolby Vision is a different story. I will watch the silliest tripe in Dolby Vision just to drool at a color spectrum I didn't know could exist. I cannot wait until the first physical media is available next month...

Please post your current/previous OLED TV or monitor models, as well as 4k blu ray players and your impressions compared to other premium screen tech. I've searched an I'm surprised how little hype there is surrounding dolby vision. 4k be damned, Dolby Vision + OLED simply slays the best plasma or LED panels I've seen past the $10,000 range.

tommy-thewho, CrazyCatz, chaz and 2 others like this.
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

There's been a bunch of threads here that have dealt with OLD/HDR/Wide color gamut/10-bit displays/3D Color Spaces, etc. I've been saying for years that HDR+Widecolor spaces are a game changer in display tech, whether the panel is 4k or not (though these days they are 4k by default).

It's undeniable that OLEDs have superior picture quality. They are still not perfect of course. They have had some vignetting issues in the near black levels (which has mostly been fixed in the latest gen models), motion handling in some cases isn't as good as it could be (due to the sample-and-hold method is picture display) and the panels aren't near as bright as they need to be to achieve absolute UHD HDR specs (though again, the latest models are quite a bit brighter, but still less so than LCD/LED tvs). And the other drawback of course, is that they're still expensive.

But those are mere pedantic technical issues which 99.9% of the population would never even notice or care about because the picture quality really is superior.

The next tech on the horizon is ILED or Inorganic LEDs which are just very, very small colored selfemissive LEDs forming the display's pixels. They have even better characteristics than OLEDs in terms of colorspace, brightness, longevity and power efficiency. Of course, they're still several years away - Samsung's been working hard on this tech since they missed the OLED boat.

Until ILEDs hit the street, OLEDs reign supreme, no question.

Rhapsody In Red and White_Noise like this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Does anyone else have thoughts about this? I'm in the market for a 2016 LG OLED - I want 3D - and would like the E6 but not sure it's worth that extra $1000...

4. greenman

greenman Forum Resident

I bought the 65" E6 a few months ago. I liked the flat design better as I have it on the wall and curved doesn't do it for me. The other 65" models available to me didn't have 3D so they were out. This is probably the best 3D TV produced, and since everyone have dropped 3D it likely will remain the best. So these 2016 LGs might be the last chance to get a premium 3D set.
    As for the extra $ If you can live with the curve and don't have any use for a soundbar it's debatable. A lot of that extra $ lies in that soundbar, which is not that bad, you actually get value for your money there, but if you're not going to use it it's a bit of a waste of course.

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

All I am really looking forward to, is watching them scuttle the momentum of yet another useful format upgrade, by trying to drum up excitement for still another early-adopter standard that's only of interest to the part of the market share that's trying to keep excited about the last thousand-dollar set they have to buy Grandpa...so he can watch Andy Griffith on it.

Hey, QS Quad called from the 1970s...they wanna know if it's finally time to pull the plug on this one...

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Nice to see a 3D lover here.
    Usually the opposite I've found.

7. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident Thread Starter

If you can get a bargain on a mint used E6 then it may be worth it. Otherwise, like greenman said, most of the money goes into a soundbar that, while a noticeable upgrade from the B or C6 speakers, I honestly can't think of much use for. Honestly does anyone in the market for a $4,000 TV not have a home audio system? I mean, even a cheap packaged 5.1 setup that cost $250 or any low-mid bookshelf speakers and a entry-level receiver will render the soundbar useless....

I also don't see much value in a curved TV (curved PC monitors are a different story). That said, it has to be noted that the curve of the C series is very slight compared to the curve of the Samsung TVs. It can still be wall mounted easily since it's such a subtle curve. And if you really are set on flat, why not go with the B6? For the same price as the C6 or slightly less, you have a flat panel that will sacrifice 3d but shave some latency if that maters to you. Really, the only reason to get the E6 is because the picture on glass design is slightly more attractive. The way my room is set up, I don't see the back of the TV enough to spend $1000, but hey, I'm a school teacher and not everyone is as poor as me :0

I took the extra 1000 bucks and spent it on a GTX 1080 ti and 20TB of extra HDD storage for 4k streaming purposes.

alexpop likes this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, both the 6 and 7-series LGs are very good. But 3D is fading fast -- everybody is going with HDR and 4K instead. It wouldn't cost them $5 to include 3D, so I'm not sure what the problem is, but that's where it's headed.

Note that all the 6-series sets use the same panel, and all the 7-series sets use the same panel. The basic picture quality does not change across the model range, assuming you get it aligned and calibrated.

SandAndGlass, scobb and alexpop like this.
  9. Oatsdad

I have no idea why TV makers won't incorporate 3D into newer sets. As you note, it doesn't appear to be a cost issue, so why not include it - at least on expensive models?

I mean, I understand that an extra $5 or whatever adds up if you sell many thousands of sets, but I kinda doubt they're moving tons and tons of $3000 TVs. That's a very limited market - and a market that would probably like the option of 3D.

I'm going with a 2016 LG solely because I want the 3D. I'm actually still pretty happy with my old Panny plasma but I want to go 4K and want my new TV to have 3D capabilities.

While home 3D is clearly waning, it's still out there - and I have a bunch of 3D BDs anyway. I want my "workhorse TV" to do everything: 4K and 3D, so even though I'm not dying for a new set, it feels like I'd better get one NOW before the 2016 LGs are gone!

Thanks! That's what I needed to know - I thought the image would be the same on the C6 and the E6 but I wasn't 100% sure.

Admit I'm not wild about the curved screen - but I'm even LESS wild about spending an extra $1000 for the E6 just to have a flat screen...

10. Oatsdad

Thanks for the thoughts! :wave:

Given that I just invested $4000 in home theater audio upgrades, so the sound bar is totally useless to me. If the pic quality of the C6 and E6 are identical, then the curved/flat debate is really the only thing that matters to me.

I won't mount the set on a wall - it'll just sit on a table - so I don't have to worry about that.

I suspect I'll be fine with the curved screen but I should see if I can check one out in person first, I guess!

11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

3D has been a mass market failure in the tv consumer space. Not only has there not been enough source material produced but the tv implementation of 3D has too many practical/technical flaws to have widespread appeal. The market has ruled - it's dead Jim, just like bent tvs.

12. Oatsdad

It's not totally dead since they still produce 3D Blu-rays. Once the major studios refuse to put out any 3D BDs, then it'll be dead.

And even if that happens, I'll still own dozens of 3D BDs so I need something to watch 'em on - ergo my desire for a 4K set with 3D!

alexpop likes this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

My guess is that they don't give a crap. It's not something the mass audience is asking for. I've talked before about why I think 3D failed -- the short answer is that it was too much trouble for average people -- but I think 4K and HDR are a different story, since you don't have to wear anything or sit in a special position to enjoy it. You can lie on you side, walk around the room, eat a cheeseburger, pop open your phone and start texting, do your homework, etc., and it doesn't affect the picture quality.

I think it's fading.

14. Oatsdad

I agree the "mass audience" doesn't care about home 3D, but like I said, the "mass audience" isn't dropping $2500+ for a new TV. If you're going for the higher-end audience, why not throw in an option that they're more likely to appreciate?

Agree on that too - studios have decreased support, so some movies that would've gotten US 3D BDs 2 years ago were 2D only now.

Stuff like the 2016 "Ben-Hur" - sure, it bombed, but Paramount would've still gone 3D 2 years ago. Sony also didn't put out a 3D "Resident Evil: Final Chapter".

Nonetheless, "fading" isn't the same as "dead". Like I mentioned, I just got the 3D "Lego Batman", and I know I'll have 3D versions of "Kong: Skull Island" and "Ghost in the Shell" soon.

There are also a decent number of "boutique" 3D releases for older movies.

So 3D's still breathing!

15. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

If it would cost them that little...why wouldn't some enterprising young bench-jocky slap together an "unauthorized Firmware Update" :idea:

Isn't that how we taught the PS3 and the Oppo to rip a SACD...?

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Because there is no market demand for it. Only the few diehards are screaming for it, which is inconsequential as a profit center.

I remember several years ago at tall the various consumer trade shows every stand had a 3D display advertised with flashing neon signs. You couldn't get the salesmen to stop talking about it. Then a couple of years after that, they all went silent and 3D displays were relegated to dark corners of convention centers (if they were there at all). And soon after that, display manufacturers started dropping 3d altogether. It's a clear progression - most people just didn't care about it to make it worthwhile for continued support.

scobb likes this.
  17. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

My son has a Costco 65" 4k TV, and we have one 4K sports channel (TSN), and the difference between 1080 & 4k on the sports channel is quite noticeable. I didn't believe it until he switched between the 2 channels. The fans in the stands were quite clear. I also equate it to the previous jump from SD to HD.

I even rewatched the whole Breaking Bad series again on 4k Netflix, and it was almost as impressive.

18. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I also originally saw AVATAR at the theatre is 3D, but enjoyed it more in regular Blu ray at home on my 80" TV. 3D doesn't mean that much to me, but I do wish I had 4K!!!

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

If you're viewing from a 'normal' distance (and not up-close), I would bet that the difference in detail you're seeing is down to a higher bitrate being used on the 4k channel (less compression).

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Avatar was all shot and finished in 2K, so there isn't anywhere near 4K detail in it. But the 3D is very good in that film.

I think it's doing OK for the theatrical market, but it's not there for the home market -- that's what's fading. If it were up to me, I'd tell the manufacturers to at least provide 3D in their higher-end models, but I assume they have their reasons.

I'm not sure what the status is for 3D Blu-ray players. I haven't heard of a lot of 4K 3D releases, which is another problem area.

21. alexpop

As is.
    What's the best 3D TV in the last few years, my panny st50 is on the dark side image wise ?

22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That's because 3d is not a part of the UHD spec!

tomunbound likes this.
  23. alexpop

3D for the masses.
    I thought they had developed a 3D tv where you didn't have to wear glasses ?

24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, but with far too many flaws and restrictions that it's useless, practically speaking.

tomunbound and alexpop like this.
  25. alexpop

China demands, China gets something better later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.