Universal's 'The Mummy' (2017 movie)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Karnak, Nov 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

alexpop likes this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Ouch.

5 Reasons Why Tom Cruise’s ‘The Mummy’ Disintegrated
    at the Domestic Box Office

The Mummy” has been buried.

This weekend, Universal’s latest opened at No. 2 domestically behind the second weekend of “Wonder Woman.” With Tom Cruise in the lead, the revival was poised to be a beat-the-heat, popcorn-flinging summer blockbuster, a nostalgia grab for millennial fans of the 1999 title, and the launchpad for the studio’s “Dark Universe” of monster movies.

With $174 million worldwide, “The Mummy” is far from the summer’s biggest flop. But the breakdown — $32.2 million domestic, $141.8 international — indicates that whatever “The Mummy” is selling, American audiences aren’t really buying.

Variety Box Office Analysis

showtaper likes this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm guessing they're going to have to get rid of all these boxes of cereal for the promotional tie-ins...

[​IMG]

seed_drill likes this.
  4. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

What's wrong with the Boris Karloff film that people do a remake of it?^^

MoonPool and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Doh, this is the meanest review yet:

"Universal’s attempt to launch its own cinematic universe feels like it’s had its brains pulled out through its nose."

"The Mummy is the story of an ageless creature who exists outside the realms of life and death, perfectly preserved and yet not quite human. It is also the story of a mummy."

That's even meaner and snarkier than me! :eek:

The Mummy Stars an Ageless, Eerily Inhuman Creature, and It Co-Stars a Mummy

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And here's the worst article yet...

But in the case of “The Mummy,” one person–Cruise–had an excessive amount of control, according to several people interviewed. The reboot of “The Mummy” was supposed to be the start of a mega-franchise for Universal Pictures. But instead, it’s become a textbook case of a movie star run amok.

As Hollywood is playing the blame game on what went wrong on “The Mummy,” which had a measly domestic opening of just $32 million, many fingers are pointing to Cruise. In the same way that he commanded the stage at the film’s premiere, leaving his cast standing awkwardly by his side, several sources close to the production say that Cruise exerted nearly complete creative oversight on “The Mummy,” essentially wearing all the hats and dictating even the smallest decisions on the set. On stage, Cruise admitted his own perfectionist tendencies. “I don’t just make a movie. I give it everything I have and I expect it from everyone also.”

Universal, according to sources familiar with the matter, contractually guaranteed Cruise control of most aspects of the project, from script approval to post-production decisions. He also had a great deal of input on the film’s marketing and release strategy, these sources said, advocating for a June debut in a prime summer period.

Inside ‘The Mummy’s’ Troubles: Tom Cruise Had Excessive Control (EXCLUSIVE)

The gist of it: the film started off as a traditional horror film, but Cruise changed the script, direction, and editing to basically turn it into a "Tom Cruise Action Picture" with a Mummy in it. He was able to do this because director Alex Kurtzman was low on the totem pole and didn't have the power to overrule him. It's never good when the star has 10 times the money and power and control as the director.

FVDnz, seed_drill, ralphb and 2 others like this.
  7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Movies aren't remade because there's something "wrong" with them - they're remade because the stories can be told in different ways.

And to make money! :D

To be fair, the 1999 and 2017 "Mummy" movies weren't really "remakes" - they don't have all that much in common with the 1932 film. They're films that involve mummy characters but they don't really tell the same stories...

seed_drill, Karnak and andrewskyDE like this.
  8. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I can be just snarky if not more so.. come to darkside...:D vidiot...
    Tom , screwed the studios and himself with this and director..
    I have no faith directors my age bracket..
    Universal will have to the hard way.. Mission Impossible + Mummy gets old and crusty..
    I would prefered the rumored sequel Rise Of The Aztec..
    with Brendon Fraiser..

alexpop likes this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think with Universal today, it's only about the latter.

10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The bad reviews have wrapped up the chance of this movie being a success.

11. alexpop

If your scared watching it you can cry
    MUMMY. :)

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  12. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Or this:

Do change your plans to see The Mummy (in a bad way).

Grunge Master likes this.
  13. alexpop

Nothing wrong with the money aspect if the content is good.

14. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I think any studio consumed with starting "franchises" rather than trying to make single good (and profitable) films are only interested in the latter. So that means pretty much all of the majors. Disney, Warner Bros., Sony, etc.

Another article suggests Universal *rushed* out the "Dark Universe" announcement to drum up positive media coverage because "The Mummy" was tracking so poorly critically and commercially. I think the snarky criticisms of the "Dark Universe" group photo being a photoshop job are kind of excessive (as if no other studio does huge shots of "franchise" casts involving photoshop), but it is fascinating if Universal was trying to do a bit like Disney did with "Pirates", to try to circumvent bad publicity about Johnny Depp by revealing cameos (e.g. McCartney) and things like that.

The downfall of the "star" system/format for big films is also fascinating. One wishes this was a good thing, as it would sidestep taking a crummy movie and just sticking a star's name on it. But they've simply replaced the generic plastering of a star's name on a movie with the generic plastering of a franchise name.

Vidiot likes this.
  15. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I saw it last night at my nephew's request.

To quote Leonard Pinth-Garnell:

[​IMG]

FVDnz and Spitfire like this.
  16. alexpop

Tom Cruise searching for mummy.

17. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Luke The Drifter and Vidiot like this.
  18. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Was there really a tie in? General Mills brought this and Fruit Bruit back for Halloween a few years ago, presumably to keep the trade marks.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

My personal opinion is that Trix is only for kids.

20. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I still have my button from the 1976 campaign saying I voted to let the Rabbit eat Trix.

Vidiot likes this.
  21. Oatsdad

Man, did that occur that long ago? I thought it was more like early 80s!

Might be confusing it with the mid-80s Big Boy debate, though! So many cartoon mascot debates, so little time! :D

22. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

They did that every four years for a long time, starting at least in '76. I was too young to pay attention in '72. I also have a few Honeycomb license plates. Real metal. The earliest ones looked just like miniature state tags and were embossed. Later ones were painted (like license tags are today), and said clever stuff like DISCO.

23. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Aaaaaaaaand...that's a wrap!

24. Oatsdad

Ah - so I may remember later Trix campaigns after all! Or I might remember the one from 1976, too - I was 9 so that would've appealed to me.

I think the "should he stay or go?" Big Boy campaign was 1984.

Wasn't there some shampoo that had people vote whether to use a plastic or a glass bottle?

25. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Well now that the new Transformers movie is here at least there will be a new blockbuster for everyone to crap all over. :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.