Sting: The Studio Collection – solo career-spanning vinyl box (09/30/2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Interesting. THREE os his last albums

2. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

pghmusiclover likes this.
  3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I am cherry picking my favorite titles in this series, and recently bought Ten Summoners Tales. I really enjoyed this era of Sting (his four piece band, the singles, tour, live videos, etc) so it was nice to revisit it, and for the first time on vinyl.

mikedifr0923 and Szeppelin75 like this.
  4. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Are there any forum assessments on the reissued vinyl album's sound quality out there?

5. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Szeppelin75, Davidmk5 and JasonA like this.
  6. OldSkoolFool

OldSkoolFool Forum Resident

If on a Winter's Night... is a very gorgeous album on vinyl. I paid a pretty penny to get a used import from across seas on discogs last holiday. I'm glad to see it available again.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  7. Szeppelin75

Ill get If On A Winter's Night and his "lute" album.

8. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

OK... I AM LOST. I read this entire thread, but can't find what I am looking for. I have Ten Summoners Tales on vinyl. It is the A&M release. I think it sounds pretty terrible. Flat, etc. I bought it about 6 months ago. Am I to assume the new Abbey Road remastered vinyl is different, somehow? Or did I buy the solo LP from this boxed set's first go round, and I am jus unhappy with the sound quality. Basically, is the one in the box set different/better than the one I have?

Also, same question applies to Nothing Like the Sun. Bought the vinyl about 6 months ago. Sounds is OK. Is that the same LP as in this set? Are there SKU #'s I can use to see?

Sorry, I am just new to vinyl and very confused by all the releases, LOL! TRULY appreciate any help and guidance :)

9. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

I don't have any of these yet but the same ones that are in the first boxset were also released individually. If you bought something new it's most likely the same one

10. DazNEUK

DazNEUK Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of getting the the revised 12 album set but I'd been to keen to get some more views since you guys have lived with these albums for a few months now.

Also re the downloads included, are these high res or just MP3?

Thanks

Darren

11. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Mercury Falling sounds better than the cd for sure and has Twenty Five to Midnight! Nice bonus since I'm in the US and it wasn't on the American version on cd. Wish it was quieter though....lots of pops for a new record. I also purchased Brand New Day and will listen to that next. My original Soul Cages sounds fabulous so won't be getting that remaster. Question is do invest in original Ten Dummoners Tales or new reissue.... hmmm.

RubenH likes this.
  12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Man, I just can't help wondering just how many of Sting's extant tracks (b-sides, one-offs, duets, guest tracks off of other peoples' albums) would have fit onto a bonus LP. covering far many more holes in my collection, than a box of previously-released albums I'm already pretty damn happy with and have been since at least 1983. I've always wondered what the business plan of selling complete collections to collectors who would not have considered laying out that kind of money had they not already have been a big fan...who one would assume has already owned these.

In fact, these would be just the sort of people who would be more interested in extant tracks they haven't been able to find because those haven't been out since the initial release. I would bet that seeing such a bonus disc in a box of albums such a fan already owns, would make those on the fence say, "Yeah, I'd consider buying it for that...!"

Just sayin'.

JasonA likes this.
  13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

25 Years box was a missed opportunity to round up loose odds and ends too - that box included 4 or 5 tracks from each album.

jamesc likes this.
  14. DazNEUK

DazNEUK Well-Known Member

Agreed re 25 especially the vinyl with only 10 studio and 3 live tracks.

15. mikedifr0923

Anyone else have this? Would really like some more opinions on SQ

RubenH likes this.
  16. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

If you have thoughts on Brand New Day, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

17. petertakov

petertakov Forum Resident

Do yourself a favour and get the original non-remastered CDs - these are the best versions of his solo albums available and given their digital recording (except for TDOTBT) - these are the best there'll ever be. Several tracks from TDOTBT have been reMIXED for the "25 years" compilation in a manner similar to John's "Double Fantasy Stripped Down" and they sound great but that's a whole different discussion. Again, if you want the best versions of the original albums get the original releases.

18. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

What does the new Ten Summoners vinyl sound like?

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  19. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Sounds good to me on my modest low end turntable. I have the first four Sting reissues and have been pleased with pressings and SQ. I will consider getting the next two if I found them on sale, but those are the albums I started to Enjoy less.

Full disclosure, Never had these on vinyl before or done any comparisons with my cds.

richbdd01 likes this.
  20. Szeppelin75

They all sound great.

When are If On A Winter's Night and Songs From the Laberynth going to be reisued?

JeffMo likes this.
  21. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

22. Szeppelin75

23. Szeppelin75

Never a word on these it seems.

24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I pulled The Soul Cages off the shelf last week and it sounds fantastic.

Szeppelin75, c-eling and mikedifr0923 like this.
  25. mikedifr0923

I have gotten Soul Cages through Breve New Day at this point (I have originals of the first two). Listened to Soul Cages and Ten Summeners Tales, both sound great!! Although had a bit of a skip in TST

JeffMo likes this.