The Eric Clapton album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DoF, Dec 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I haven't watched the full video yet. I too don't like the acoustic Layla so will definitely watch this in full.

I neglected to mention Glyn Johns. A very good move for me. Wish it had happened sooner.

Mainline461 likes this.
  2. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Clapton and I Still Do stand out to me. Latter period albums that stand up. A mature artist playing and singing what he wants to and doing it well. So many of his albums over the years sounded like he did them just because he had to do an album, a slave to fashion, a product of the times. Disposable. These feel more organic, more real, and they just feel good to listen to. Not Clapton trying to be relevant. Just Clapton being himself.

3. Almost Simon

I had seen that Paul Whitehouse was doing an interview, nice to see its him and inject some humour into the proceedings, everyone seems more relaxed than the usual interviewer. Nice idea.

To be fair I'm only 2:45 in, see how the rest goes.

4. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Haven't been able to listen to the Crossroads thing but suspect I'll quote like it. I Still Do is a mixed bag. Kinda reminded me of Dylan's "Together Through Life", although it's much better than that album. I quite like it overall. "Alabama Woman Blues" is a good opener and Eric plays and sings well. I like the version "I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine" here too.

Overall I've really enjoyed the thread and reconnecting with some older Clapton stuff and have discovered a new faith in ol' Slowhand. Thanks to Almost Simon.

Almost Simon likes this.
  5. rgutter

rgutter Forum Resident

Outside Travelin' Alone from 2010, Cypress Grove is easily Clapton's finest (studio) blues cover in more than a decade.

JulesRules and Almost Simon like this.
  6. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

I Still Do is a very good album. The two bonus tracks that are available on the deluxe edition would of fit in very well on the release. My favorite on the album is the JJ Cale song Somebody's Knockin. As expected on a Clapton record, the playing is top notch all around. Looking forward to more new releases in the future.

Almost Simon likes this.
  7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Agreed. It was nice to see EC collaborate with Johns once again after so many years. That said, I didn't think the overall feel was much different than "Clapton," which was co-produced by EC and Bramhall. As far as "I Still Do" is concerned, it is a solid, soulful effort that shows EC still has some gas in the tank, with more of an emphasis on EC's blues playing and direction than one might think.

laf848, JulesRules and Almost Simon like this.
  8. Almost Simon

Yes, i'd agreed. I think more for the sound, i dont think Johns changed the material much. Eric is going to do what he wants regardless.

I do wonder what his plans are now, if another studio album will be forthcoming. or if that's it.

goodboyfred likes this.
  9. Almost Simon

Really enjoying the video. Great choice asking Whitehouse to "interview." Big fan of his comedy. Interesting to hear about Glyn's involvement with the Rainbow Concert in '73. How Johns refused to put his name on it because Eric wasn't turning up to approve his mixes. Also Clapton's involvement in Townshend/Lane's Rough Mix album which lead to him producing Slowhand and Backless. Worth 40 odd minutes of your time to watch.

goodboyfred likes this.
  10. Almost Simon

11. Almost Simon

Now we're at the end of the studio albums i'm tasking myself to go back and look at my comments from all the previous studio albums. Make a "new" Clapton playlist of album tracks I may well have, (perhaps the word ignored is wrong but you get my drift,) neglected in the past. Make a new interesting playlist. There's plenty ive discovered from this journey. Good to spend time with some of the albums i'd..................neglected (yes, thats the word!):cool:

12. arthurprecarious

Be good to share that....

Almost Simon likes this.
  13. Almost Simon

Last album time shortly...............

2016: Live in San Diego

14. Almost Simon

Live in San Diego (2016)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Released - 30 September 2016
    Recorded - 15 March 2007
    Venue - Ipayone Center, San Diego, CA
    Produced by Simon Climie

1. "Tell the Truth" Eric Clapton · Bobby Whitlock 6:23
    2. "Key to the Highway" Charlie Segar 4:12
    3. "Got to Get Better in a Little While" Eric Clapton 9:35
    4. "Little Wing" Jimi Hendrix 6:58
    5. "Anyday" Eric Clapton · Bobby Whitlock 6:05
    6. "Anyway the Wind Blows" (with J. J. Cale) J. J. Cale 5:32
    7. "After Midnight" (with J. J. Cale) J. J. Cale 5:44
    8. "Who Am I Telling You?" (with J. J. Cale) J. J. Cale 4:52
    9. "Don't Cry Sister" (with J. J. Cale) J. J. Cale 3:33
    10. "Cocaine" (with J. J. Cale) J. J. Cale 5:31
    11. "Motherless Children" Blind Willie Johnson 5:23
    12. "Little Queen of Spades" Robert Johnson 17:21
    13. "Further On up the Road" Don Robey · Joe Medwick Veasey 6:49
    14. "Wonderful Tonight" Eric Clapton 4:31
    15. "Layla" Eric Clapton · Jim Gordon 8:25
    16. "Crossroads" (with Robert Cray) Robert Johnson 6:55

Eric Clapton – guitar · lead vocals
    J. J. Cale – guitar · vocals (tracks 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
    Robert Cray – guitar · vocals (track 16)
    Doyle Bramhall II – guitar · backing vocals
    Derek Trucks – slide guitar
    Willie Weeks – bass guitar
    Steve Jordan – drums
    Chris Stainton – keyboard
    Tim Carmon – keyboard
    Michelle John – backing vocals
    Sharon White – backing vocals

15. Almost Simon

I don't own this album, never knew of its existence but the tracklisting interests me very much. Perhaps not so much the JJ Cale songs but definitely the Domino's tunes, is Motherless Children the same song/arrangement as on 461 Ocean Boulevard, and good to see Further On Up The Road. Produced by Climie is less of a want but I am intrigued on opinions of this release.

16. arthurprecarious

I think this is an excellent late El Clappo live record. Not over keen on the JJ tacks but overall really good. Motherless Children outstanding and yes, very similar to the 461 version - great band. Strange that its such an old recording that just emerges now.

laf848 likes this.
  17. Almost Simon

I've really enjoyed this thread. Being able to post albums. Refreshing for a Clapton thread its stayed positive and about the music, very rare in my experience. I've learnt a lot, re-listened to albums I'd ignored. Has been good. Obviously we have sped up towards the end but even there some highlights have been uncovered.

Thanks for everyone for contributing, also thanks to DoF for starting the thread. I took over when he was too busy to continue.

The thread doesn't need to end here but will need some other contributors to help move it forwards. I know its been mentioned to discuss the items we may have missed, sessions, new tracks on compilations. Feel free to post. :cool: I'll still be around to contribute from time to time.

I'm off to USA for a business trip during next week, a few days in Boston MA so hoping to get to at least one record shop whilst there (I hear In Your Ear is one to visit, really hope I get some time.)

Cheers everyone :edthumbs:

Bossyman, laf848 and kollektionist like this.
  18. Almost Simon

I thought it might be "unofficial," but has Climie's name on it so assume its all legit?

19. arthurprecarious

Yeah its legit. Almost, but not, like a Bootleg Series!

Almost Simon likes this.
  20. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I think Live In San Diego is one of Clapton's best live albums. Maybe having Derek Trucks in the band pushed him a bit.

laf848 and Almost Simon like this.
  21. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

Clapton is at the top of his game on this release. The highlight for me is Little Queen Of Spades, all the players get a chance to shine, and do, with EC bringing it home with a blistering solo. The Blu Ray is my way to enjoy this show.

laf848 and Almost Simon like this.
  22. Almost Simon

23. Almost Simon

24. Almost Simon

Think i need to get this album, much better tracklisting that all the recent live albums.

25. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Thanks to you for your commitment to see it through. It was fun, entertaining, and educational.

Almost Simon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.