The Velvet Underground & Nico 50th Ann Edition Pink Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RiRiIII, Jun 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Limited edition pressing of classic album on pink vinyl. Only 1000 units made for the world, only available through uDiscover. In addition to reproducing Warhol's beloved original "banana cover" design, complete with peel-able banana sticker, the 50th-anniversary vinyl edition also reproduces the album's original gatefold cover as well as its rare original back-cover "torso" photo, with Lou Reed's face superimposed over the torso of Warhol associate Eric Emerson. The photo appeared in this form on The Velvet Underground and Nico's initial pressing, but was quickly altered for later editions when Emerson threatened legal action. The shot is restored to its original glory on the 50th anniversary edition, along with a replica of the black sticker that was once used to obscure the disputed image. The sticker will be attached to the shrink wrap of the anniversary LP, allowing listeners to experience the album's full original package. An additional insert has been added for this edition, with vintage images plus new liner notes by Velvets co-founder John Cale and Richie Unterberger, author of the book White Light/White Heat: The Velvet Underground Day-By-Day.

The Velvet Underground & Nico 50th Ann Edition Pink Vinyl

From Udiscover US.

2. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

I always love these "limited edition" color pressings. Here's what you're paying for.

[​IMG]

3. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

I'm certain it will be well worth the $45 US they're charging ... Hey did Plain/4MWB ever do a reissue of this ? If so, might be those plates being used. :yikes:

moonshiner likes this.
  4. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

:laugh:

bug2362 likes this.
  5. Disionity

Disionity Forum Resident

I do believe the foreskins with beards did piss all over the VU catalogue at one time. I don't think Plain ever did a reissue, though. Can't UMe just use the plates from the Sundazed set? Weren't some quality pressings coming out of Japan a decade or so ago as well? At least the packaging seems cool.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  6. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Would anyone care what it sounds like? Will it ever even be played?

7. PsychedelicMike

PsychedelicMike Forum Resident

For roughly the same price u can get the 1985 all analog reissue and have something better sounding

8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Is this before the pressing or after a sun session?

9. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Maybe if it came with one of these I'd be interested.:)
    [​IMG]

10. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

I do have the 4MWB editions, is not bad at all, certainly better than the actual Verve stereo release (standard and 180 gram), the mono one is a different animal, there is also a peleable Vinyl lovers editiond and of course the one of the sundazed box set ,and also a colored verve one, but it this one worth? for that price should be AAA

and we can't forget the PD edition

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  11. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I'll take the rotten peach- top row, middle.

12. Disionity

Disionity Forum Resident

Honestly, this release is ridiculously lazy on so many levels. An album like this deserves better for it's 50th. Not like there's much of anything new they could release, but they could at least bundle in a copy of the Scepter acetate.

jeff kleinberg and Cassius like this.
  13. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The black sticker has only been reissued on a Japanese CD. Emerson has been on both Black to Black reissues. Not much to see here.

If it's a fair dinkum replica John Cale won't get a writer's credit on Sunday Morning.

14. beccabear67

I'm sort of wondering now why the vinyl is bubblegum pink? Is there some significance for that color? I would have understood metallic silver foil color or maybe even yellow I guess. It would be nice to have a great sounding two LP set of the original acetate mix and the album proper, with maybe even room for single mono edits/mixes.

15. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

Pink banana color

16. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Well, here's what happens when you "Peel Slowly and See".

[​IMG]

EDIT: B. Bu Po got to it first but some people need a visual aid.

17. beccabear67

Oh, thanks. D'oh! Maybe I'd have gotten it if it were marbled in two shades. Have to admit I've never had a peelable nor peeled specimen myself.

lightbulb likes this.
  18. bug2362

bug2362 Forum Resident

Because they have run out of ideas....$!$!
    The split yellow/black was cool
    Yellow makes sense

19. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

How many records is in this release?

This 50th Anniversary vinyl edition is up on Amazon, and is listed as having 65 tracks!
    However, in typical Amazon style, it's listed as having "6 Discs"...

Does that actually translate to 6 sides of Vinyl? Probably only 3 discs, but the price is under $31 and is much cheaper than I would have guessed.

20. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident Thread Starter

This pink vinyl release has one disc acc. to the udiscover website and the tracklist.

lightbulb likes this.
  21. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

The pink nonsense is a bit of put-off. It's a classic for god's sake. Why not redesign the cover whilst they're at it - make it lenticular or something equally nauseating.

Says nothing about sources and pressing plant and cutting. ie. the important stuff.

Sorry for the negativity.

Man at C&A and lightbulb like this.
  22. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

or just black.

23. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

just 1 LP

Velvet Underground - Velvet Underground & Nico 50th Anniversary - Amazon.com Music

lightbulb likes this.
  24. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

25. Was the pink chosen to match the colour of the peeled banana?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.