Fender Guitars...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Rocker, Jun 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Why "less common" guitars?

Personally, maybe like you, I'll try any guitar. I've played some crap Gibsons and some crap Fenders, but also some amazing guitars from both of these camps.

Equally so, I've played some great guitars from Gretch, PRS, Guild, J. Backlund, Leduc, Charvel, DeTemple, etc.

Sadly, I've never gotten on with an Ibanez, nor any guitar that comes with active EMGs.

2. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

According to an interview, Paul Collins (The Beat, The Nerves, The Breakaways) plays a black 1964 vintage Fender Strat. He's used several other Strats, but this was his first and primary Strat. With over 40 years of touring and songwriting, this guitar has taken quite a beating from recording studios, airlines, ground transportation and the torture of varying national and international climates. The guitar has been heavily restored; refinished from top to bottom and the neck was fitted with replacement tuners. Original pickups, bridge hardware and saddles, but no whammy bar. For rhythm guitar, he mostly plays medium strings.
    [​IMG]
    While touring with The Ramones in 1977, Collins would sit in the back of his tour bus (station wagon) using this guitar to write new songs.

3. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I'll repurpose my photo posting in the Rickenbacker thread here since my Fender is on top...

June 1975 Fullerton, CA Fender Stratocaster

[​IMG]

4. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

WAYLON! and his 53' tele or broadcaster?
    [​IMG]

5. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

I prefer Fender as well... not only is my album collection dominated by guitarists that use both Fender axes and amps, but my own collection as well... I love single coil pickups... they have the highs I prefer... I only have two axes that have humbuckers... one of them being an original 1973 Tele Deluxe, with the wide range humbuckers that Seth Lover designed... sounds more like a fat single coil than a traditional humbucker... and my other is an Epiphone bass with a buck... all my other guitars are single coils and Fenders (except for one Gibson SG with P-90s)...

RDriftwood and Johnny Rocker like this.
  6. "Master of the Stratocaster"

Johnny Rocker likes this.
  7. melstapler, éder and Johnny Rocker like this.
  8. Say's you!

Which is OK, of course.
    Find black on black OK, white pickups & knobs throws me off a bit. Nowhere near as sexy as a black & gold Gibson; IMO.

Enjoy.

9. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

One of my very favorite Fender players:
    [​IMG]

10. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

11. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

I agree. I wanted one when I saw The Edge with one back in the mid-80's.

[​IMG]

12. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Does anyone actually use the Jazzmaster to play jazz? The closest I can think of is Nils Cline, but he's more avant-garde than straight ahead jazz. Ironically it seems it's primarily alternative and shoegaze guitar heroes like J. Mascis & Kevin Shields who are associated the Jazzmaster.

13. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

And just how precise are most bassists playing Precisions?

[​IMG]

14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

A lot of different artists have played Jazzmasters besides the occasional jazz artist (Jim Hall at one point in his career for one). My favorite Willie Nelson album has him playing one, and surf music was almost invented on one perhaps. . . .

I play jazz on mine ('59 Thinskin Reissue). I love how the bridge and the set up I have (I use heavy strings, Black Diamond Jazz) and the rhythm circuit allow me to get either a clear acoustic guitar sound or a sort of mid-fifties Kenny Burrell sound with the Bassman TV Fifteen amp I like to use, and also the Jazzmaster Ultra-light SE amp and cabinet that I have. The action is a lot stiffer than a Strat and I have to work to fret cleanly and it's not for shredding, but the Jazzmaster can be a really nice jazz axe.

TimB, RDriftwood, melstapler and 4 others like this.
  15. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

This.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  16. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Natural look wood finishes rock!:cool:

applebonkerz and petem1966 like this.
  17. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Television

melstapler and SinnerSaint like this.
  18. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Just this week I bought a Fender Professional Series Bass.
    It is a jazz bass as opposed to a precision bass.
    The neck bid to die for.
    Slimmer with great playability.
    I love it and couldn't be more excited.
    Geddy Lee plays a Fender jazz bass.

19. Johnny Rocker

I love the slim necks, I have a Gibson re issue SG, while its the holy grail of guitars<wink, wink, the neck is like a base ball bat, I heard Jimi Paige shaved down his Les Paul at the 12th fret to make it easier to move around on. I dig my middle of the road Stratocaster![​IMG]

melstapler, Fender Relic and EVOLVIST like this.
  20. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Fender Strats to me play more like "meat and potato" guitars-you can beat them up and plays shows with them and not worry about much. Les Paul's always feel to me like I need to baby them more. Thats just me (and I love both guitars)
    My main guitar for quite some time now is a 3 color sunburst Fender Deluxe Strat from around 2006 with a relatively vintage sounding low output humbucker in the bridge with locking tuners and roller nut. Sort of a combination of a vintage looking guitar with some modern enhancements. Very versatile guitar.

21. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Yes. This is my 1978 Stratocaster:

[​IMG]

My only complaint is that it weighs a ton.

22. Johnny Rocker

What type of wood? The more expensive Strats are quite heavy, I had a les paul that weighed a ton also.

23. Lonson

Fender Jazz basses are excellent. I have a fretless American Deluxe that if I could only have one bass that would be it. I also have an American Deluxe (fretted) with a maple fretboard that has a very different sound, and so offers a great contrast.

I have a Precision that is basically a Warmoth as it has a Warmoth black Limba body and a Warmoth Wenge neck, and a Seymour Duncan pickup. Beautiful to behold, deep warm tone. . . I just don't navigate the neck as well nor feel as comfortable playing it.

RDriftwood and Johnny Rocker like this.
  24. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

I have a Nashville Tele in the butternut color (or whatever it s), and you can just see the wood grain in it and I go back and forth on having the finish removed to make it natural wood, but for the prices I've found, I could probably just buy a new one.

25. Lonson

A coworker friend of mine in Austin had (has?) one almost exactly like that. Sustained like no other Strat I've known. Heavy son of a bitch as well!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.