The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I don't have time to write my own review etc of this one like I have been doing in this thread so I will just link to/paste in some from the web, but want to give my own very big 2 thumbs up for this one.

Kind of like a combination of early Whitesnake, Deep Purple Mk III (as in the album BURN), and Rainbow with Graham Bonnet - except with better songs. Not a weak track on the whole album and many extremely catchy ones. The singer might have the best pipes of any new hard rock/metal vocalist on the scene today. Highly recommended for fans of old school late 1970's/early 1980's hard rock/metal.

[​IMG]

Inglorious - Inglorious II - Deluxe Edition

Inglorious are five young men with a mutual love and respect of the classics of Hard Rock music, big guitar riffs, and soulful vocals. Their influences stem from iconic rock and roll shrine of Rock albums from the 1970s – many years before the band members were born.

The same albums that have inspired generations of musicians and performers are noticeably evident when you listen to the Inglorious debut album. This is the music they were born to play together - inspired by bands in the classic rock genre as diverse as Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Whitesnake, Bad Company, Aerosmith, the Rolling Stones, to name a few.

Formed in February 2014, the band is fronted by Nathan James, who made a name for himself having sung for the multi-platinum selling Trans-Siberian Orchestra, and Scorpions guitar legend Uli Jon Roth. Nathan was looking for like-minded musicians that desired to make incredible rock music in a very honest fashion.

Nathan thought to himself, “Why are those classic albums so awesome?” He realised it was because “the musicians were recording in an organic way; they could track it live and capture amazing energy."

“Not only in rock but in Motown and even classical music they tracked everyone in the room at the same time,” adds Nathan. “The air movement from a bass drum, that same excitement you get when you perform, and that's exactly how I wanted the album to feel."

Nathan wanted all his fellow musicians in the room at the same time, no click tracks, no auto tune and no overdubs. He wasn't willing to compromise. Says Nathan - "For so long people have been hiding mistakes, singers using auto tune to make them sound perfect, double tracking to make it sound bigger and using click to play in time. There is none of that on this album.
    This record is about vibe, feeling, excitement, energy and performance of songs we all wrote together. That's how it came out that day and it will never be exactly the same again. We captured a series of moments that make up our debut album."

Inglorious is composed of lead guitarist Andreas Eriksson, bassist Colin Parkinson, rhythm guitarist Wil Taylor, and drummer Phil Beaver.

Colin and Phil both hail from Somerset, and have played together in bands for 17 years (at one point, both were signed to Mick Fleetwood’s label while Phil was still at school). Phil's Bonham-like groove, great snare work and exciting fills, combined with Wil's solid bluesy rhythm playing and Colin's fat, gritty bass sound, make for a formidable rhythm section.

Andreas was the final piece of the puzzle - a lead guitar player that shared all the same influences, could command a stage and was able to track the whole album the way Nathan wanted. Guitarist Andreas Eriksson played in bands from his home country of Sweden for many years, and has taken influences from all the greats, making him one of the most musically well rounded guitar players in the contemporary rock scene. His bluesy, melodic, soulful playing compliments Nathan’s soaring vocals.

The musicians bonded during the recording of their first Album, self titled Inglorious, which took the world by storm, earning its self comments from the likes of Brian May who described this young band as “a potent young Deep Purple”. And Kevin Shirley who mixed the second album said “The best British band I've seen since... I could say the Darkness, but I really mean Led Zeppelin.”

The second album titled Inglorious II was recorded in one go at Parr Street Studios Liverpool, a more comfortable setting this time as accomodation was provided, no more sleeping on the studio floors, things are looking up in the world. And as mentioned, mixed by Kevin Shirley at his Caveman Studios.
    The band wrote the whole album with no guest writers this time, they said “It came together very organically after spending time touring together and felt great. We knew we were making an album this time too! We focused on getting our sounds just right so we could get into the studio and out in the least time poss.

Between Adde's flat in Malmö, Sweden and Colin’s family home in Somerset, England, this album came together quickly. We spent three weekends in Somerset, writing in a kind of 9-5 fashion, whereby we knew we were at work. Then after a lovely home cooked dinner we would relax, have a few beers and balance out our hard work, the environment is so important to be creative and we had it good!

The first album was produced well by the band, that they decided to produce this one themselves too. These boys are becoming a force to be reckoned with.

Produced by Inglorious
    Mixed by Kevin Shirley
    Mastered by Tony Draper

Inglorious II features
    Nathan James – vocals
    Andreas Eriksson – lead guitars
    Wil Taylor – guitars
    Colin Parkinson – bass guitar
    Phil Beaver - drums

Tracklisting:
    I Don't Need Your Loving
    Taking The Blame
    Tell Me Why
    Read All About It
    Change Is Coming
    Making Me Pay
    Hell or High Water
    No Good for You
    I Got a Feeling. Black Magic
    Faraway
    High Class Woman

Bonus DVD:
    Live At Donington:
    Until I Die
    Breakaway
    High Flying Gypsy
    No Good For You
    Holy Water
    Warning
    Unaware

Special Features:
    Inglorious Epk
    Taking The Blame (Music Video)
    I Don’t Need Your Loving (Music Video)
    Behind The Scenes

Another review:
    Review: Inglorious – ‘Inglorious II’ - Devils Gate Media

This is the second album from hotly-tipped British rockers Inglorious (hence the cunning album title!), and is set for release on 12th May 2017. It has been highly anticipated by the plethora of fans that the band has amassed since 2014.

Inglorious are made up of Nathan James (Vocals), Andreas Eriksson (Lead Guitar), Drew Lowe (Guitar), Colin Parkinson (Bass) and Phil Beaver (Drums). Nathan made a name for himself appearing on reality TV shows and also performing with Trans-Siberian Orchestra and Scorpions guitarist Uli Jon Roth.

Inspired by 1970s classic rock, the self-titled debut was released in 2016 to much acclaim. Planet Rock got behind the band, and they gained a great deal of air time. They’ve also toured Europe with Winery Dogs, The Dead Daisies, and Steel Panther.

“I Don’t Need Your Loving” starts off with a soulful guitar, before the rest of the band fire in with heavy bass lines that pull you along with thundering drums and singing riffs. Nathan’s vocals seem better than ever, as he delivers this passionate intensity. It is practically impossible not to nod your head and tap your toes to this track, and serves as a great opening track. It gets you in the mood for what is to follow. Nathan has said that he has been inspired by Whitesnake and “Taking The Blame” has that flavour. It rockets along at an incredible speed, with high-pitched vocals, crushing riffs, enough fuzzy bass to keep anyone happy, and powerful drumming. This is a full-on classic rock track that will have massive appeal. “Tell Me Why” comes at a slightly slower pace, with palpable emotion on display from Nathan. The track builds into a funky wall of sound, with loads of distorted bass and skewed riffs. It is easy to see why Inglorious have built the reputation they have.

“Read All About It” will be familiar to any listeners of Planet Rock. It is a catchy, sing-a-long track, that is sure to be anthemic when played live. “Change Is Coming” lulls you in with softer vocals, before kicking it up with a swaggering melody, sustained, bold riffs and a rich bass line. “Making Me Pay” has a bluesy feel. The guitars chug deeply, dispersed with vivid riffs, whilst the drums add texture. This song delivers with the intensity of the playing, and has more space in it than the other tracks. The listener gets to hear, and appreciate, the individual players. The heaviest track, “Hell Or High Water” follows, and sounds more inspired by Iron Maiden. The snarling bass and sneering riffs combine with heavy drumming, all backed up with the screaming vocals. With piercing riffs that highlight the manic drumming and fat bass, “No Good For You” continues in the direction that you have now come to expect from the band. It has many changes in tempo which add texture, I liked the way the vocals weaved in and out of the riffs in the final third of the track. “I Got A Feeling” is full-on swagger with a blues vibe, and shows the band’s versatility. “Black Magic” is longer with a slightly off-beat tempo. “Faraway” is the power ballad of the album. Stripped away, it serves to highlight the quality of Nathan’s vocal talent, underpinned with riffs that sing, fuzzy bass, and a great melody. The finale is “High Class Woman”, which takes you back to those immense songs that Inglorious have built their reputation on. This is another track that you can imagine live, with its catchy tune and lyrics, leaving the audience begging for more of the same.

In summary, this is a more developed and grown up Inglorious, that highlights how much they have grown as a band. There are some real crowd-pleasers here, and it is sure to get loads of play on radio stations up and down the country. This is music that will please a lot of people… catchy, accessible, and powerful.

A couple of my favorite tracks after just 2 listens:

High Class Woman - with its killer Sweet Child of Mine type of super catchy opening riff

Faraway (a ballad)
    INGLORIOUS - Faraway - INGLORIOUS II

Change is Coming (very Purplish to me)
    Change Is Coming

Opening track - I Don't Need Your Loving (official video)
    Inglorious "I Don't Need Your Loving" (Official Music Video)

The whole album is FANTASTIC! Highly recommended for fans of old school melodic metal. Even better than their 1st album IMO.

2. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Energy of late 70s Whitesnake combined with the polished production of their later 80s work (IMO).

3. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

I can safely say there are no "bad" Primal Fear albums but I would say the couple between Seven Seals and Delivering The Black were not quite as good as the rest. Make no mistake they're still very good!!

Curveboy likes this.
  4. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Some of the new stuff I've been really impressed with of late are the dvd's from Treat and Primal Fear as well as new albums from Snakecharmer, Junkyard, Vain and Dream Evil. All more than worthy releases from bands that never disappoint.

slipkid likes this.
  5. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Saxon will be releasing an album this year, too.

Spiffing.

lenny nero, Curveboy and Jimmy Agates like this.
  6. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

MMGA! Make Metal Great Again. :evil: I don't expect to hear anything surprising when riding the way-back machine to find new things. It's like visiting Stratford for a performance of Shakespeare. The script is not different but the performance is. Either Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, England or the Shakespeare Festival at Stratford, Ontario, Canada will do. Yes, we did do that. :D

A pair of 1987's which I've not checked their availability but were no doubt limited to 500 pressings and a pair of newfangled 2017 releases. (Sorry Trill for my delay. Work plus a body convulsing cough/cold had me reduced).

Trillmeister likes this.
  7. Dreadnought

8. Dreadnought

9. Dreadnought

If you're into that Jimi space-psych Machine-gun instrumental thing.

dmiller458 likes this.
  10. dmiller458

If it ain't on metal archives, it's got to be obscure...

11. Dreadnought

That Wizards may simply be too recent? Just to clarify, obscure is easy enough to find. Just looking for good stuff. I'd forgotten another older worthy one from 1983. This one EP is all they put out and the original is available for $1,662. It's not nearly that good! Cutthroat and Emerald are better. The later CD is a reasonable $16. What is intriguing is an 18 volume set which began in 1993 called "Forgotten Metal Collector's Series - Outstanding Metal Gems". Volume one has this EP on it. The label name for that is a gas "Revenge Of True Metal" :laugh:

[​IMG]
    Exodo (2) / Inherent Sin / Iron Hawk* - Forgotten Metal Collector's Series (Outstanding Metal Gems Vol. 01)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  12. dmiller458

With a wealth of great albums, great metal EPs often get overlooked.

Yam Graham and Dreadnought like this.
  13. Dreadnought

That is so true. I don't know how the past compares to the present but these days there are loads of EPs, splits (two bands sharing disc space) and even singles (two songs) in the outer regions of rock/metal. It seems odd as that isn't something I recall encountering much when growing up but I can find no good reason to complain about it. Meanwhile the 80 minute album is I think too much of a burden on a band and the listener. At least it is for me. I've encountered too many songs that are twice as long as they need to be.

14. Trillmeister

Apols to Messrs F, Miller et al for not responding to their recent flurry of suggestive links and posts but will so endeavour o'er the weekend.

Been struggling with 'Purple's Infinite since the last Sabbath and since 7pm GMT gone, swooning before 1993's Objection Overruled.

Accept - accept no substitute!

I think W. Hoffman could be the Metal axesmiths' axesmith: what a canon of metallurgical exhileration.

Curveboy and jeffgt14 like this.
  15. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

Yes! :cheers:

Trillmeister likes this.
  16. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

Don't you mean 'Biffing'? :shtiphat:

Trillmeister and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  17. dmiller458

Did you get a chance to watch that lost episode of Metal Evolution?

18. dmiller458

19. Trillmeister

Which one was that?

20. dmiller458

Page 215 Post #5370

21. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

ifihadafish likes this.
  22. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Rolling Stone takes a crack at a TOP 100 Greatest Metal Albums of All-Time list with very mixed results in my opinion.

The 100 Greatest Metal Albums of All Time

So when Rolling Stone began picking the 100 Greatest Heavy Metal Albums, we set some ground rules. Although the genre's late-Sixties and early-Seventies forebears – not just giants like Cream, Zeppelin and Deep Purple, but also less iconic yet equally heavy bands such as Mountain, Captain Beyond and Sir Lord Baltimore – created some truly unruly metal moments, their LPs often made folky, bluesy detours away from the maximalism that later marked the genre, so we ruled them out. We did the same with bands that specialize more in hypercharged rock & roll, like AC/DC and Guns N' Roses, but are missing the X factor that separates their music from metal. Similarly, some bands that Rolling Stone deemed metal in the Seventies (sometimes as a pejorative) and made classic albums, like Kiss, Alice Cooper and Grand Funk Railroad, in retrospect sound more like hard rock than the genuine article and are absent here. Lastly, because we sought out only the most consistently perfect metal albums, genre signposts like Skid Row, Testament's Practice What You Preach and even the first metal album to top Billboard, Quiet Riot's Metal Health, didn't make the cut because their track lists fizzle past the hits – making room for more great LPs. (We learned quickly that 100 is a small number.)

THE LIST

100. Avenged Sevenfold – City of Evil
    99. Evanescence – Fallen
    98. Sunn O))) – Monoliths & Dimensions
    97. Gojira – From Mars to Sirius
    96. Kvelertak – Meir
    95. Dream Theater – Images and Words
    94. Deafheaven – Sunbather
    93. White Zombie – La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Volume One
    92. Eyehategod – Take as Needed for Pain
    91. Naked City – Torture Garden
    90. Body Count – Body Count
    89. Nightwish – Once
    88. Pig Destroyer – Terrifyer
    87. Manowar – Hail to England
    86. Lamb Of God – As the Palaces Burn
    85. Darkthrone – Transilvanian Hunger
    84. High On Fire – Blessed Black Wings
    83. Baroness – The Red Album
    82. Entombed – The Left Hand Path
    81. Bathory – Under the Sign of the Black Mark
    80. Ministry – Psalm 69: The Way to Succeed and the Way to Suck Eggs
    79. At The Gates – Slaughter of the Soul
    78. Voivod – Dimension Hatröss
    77. Meshuggah – Destroy Erase Improve
    76. Twisted Sister – Stay Hungry
    75. Morbid Angel – Covenant
    74. Venom – Welcome to Hell
    73. Scorpions – Blackout
    72. Isis – Oceanic
    71. Living Colour – Vivid
    70. Death – Human
    69. Soundgarden – Louder Than Love
    68. Marilyn Manson – Portrait of an American Family
    67. Queensrÿche – Operation: Mindcrime
    66. Deftones – White Pony
    65. Faith No More – Angel Dust
    64. Godflesh – Streetcleaner
    63. Sodom – Agent Orange
    62. Sleep – Jerusalem
    61. Converge – Jane Doe
    60. Melvins – Bullhead
    59. Napalm Death – From Enslavement to Obliteration
    58. Life of Agony – River Runs Red
    57. Emperor – Anthems to the Welkin At Dusk
    56. The Dillinger Escape Plan – Calculating Infinity
    55. Opeth – Blackwater Park
    54. Helmet – Meantime
    53. Type O Negative – Bloody Kisses
    52. Def Leppard – Pyromania
    51. Carcass – Heartwork
    50. Slipknot – Iowa
    49. Neurosis – Through Silver in Blood
    48. Rainbow – Rising
    47. Slayer – South of Heaven
    46. Mastodon – Leviathan
    45. Exodus – Bonded by Blood
    44. Mötley Crüe – Shout at the Devil
    43. Judas Priest – Stained Class
    42. Diamond Head – Lightning to the Nations
    41. Kyuss – Blues for the Red Sun
    40. Mayhem – De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
    39. Pantera – Far Beyond Driven
    38. Iron Maiden – Powerslave
    37. Black Sabbath – Heaven and Hell
    36. Van Halen – Women and Children First
    35. Metallica – Kill ‘Em All
    34. Black Sabbath – Master of Reality
    33. Megadeth – Countdown to Extinction
    32. Black Sabbath – Sabotage
    31. Slayer – Seasons in the Abyss
    30. Korn – Korn
    29. Sepultura – Chaos A.D.
    28. Celtic Frost – Morbid Tales
    27. System Of A Down – Toxicity
    26. Alice In Chains – Dirt
    25. Metallica – Metallica
    24. Rage Against the Machine – Rage Against the Machine
    23. Danzig – Danzig
    22. Mötley Crüe – Too Fast for Love
    21. Metallica – …And Justice for All
    20. Anthrax – Among the Living
    19. Megadeth – Rust in Peace
    18. Tool – Ænima
    17. Mercyful Fate – Melissa
    16. Dio – Holy Diver
    15. Ozzy Osbourne – Diary of a Madman
    14. Black Sabbath – Vol. 4
    13. Iron Maiden – Iron Maiden
    12. Judas Priest – Screaming for Vengeance
    11. Metallica – Ride the Lightning
    10. Pantera – Vulgar Display of Power
    09. Ozzy Osbourne – Blizzard of Ozz
    08. Megadeth – Peace Sells… But Who’s Buying?
    07. Motörhead – No Remorse
    06. Slayer – Reign in Blood
    05. Black Sabbath – Black Sabbath
    04. Iron Maiden – The Number of the Beast
    03. Judas Priest – British Steel
    02. Metallica – Master of Puppets
    01. Black Sabbath – Paranoid

laf848, Matthew Tate and weekendtoy like this.
  23. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Just skimmed it and saw at least half of them aren't metal bands.

Northwind likes this.
  24. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Half??

25. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

It took me long enough, but in the last couple months I finally got copies of "Somewhere In Time" and "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son".

I like "Somewhere In Time" but I love "Seventh Son".

Wish I hadn't waited sooo long. I was a huge Maiden head from 1982 through about 1985.

UP THE IRONS!

kyouki, Northwind and Deuce66 like this.