Kraftwerk More Influential Than the Beatles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jamo spingal, Jun 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

if you are talking about developing a style that reverberated musically maybe there is a point. they innovated electronic machine music.
    but influence on music not even close.
    when you look at the music scene with the bobby vee's and fabian's prepackaged corporate pop
    and then see how it dramatically changed after the beatles where every kid picked up a guitar and wanted to do the same it is not even close.
    the beatles were good at hybridding things but they changed the landscape musically and culturally and kraftwerk or electronica never did.

2. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Who? never heard of either them until I saw this thread.

3. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I'll put this way:

Ask ANY, I mean, ANY musician/band about The Beatles. Immediatly they'd say something about the fab four. Some songs, stories, memories, etc

Ask any musician/band about Kraftwerk. Many of them would answer: Who the hell are them?

4. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Kraftwerk is and has been influential, but to say they were on par with the Beatles is a bit of a stretch.

5. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

6. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

The pertinent question is who might have more impact over today's music scene. Diversity of thought is never a bad thing, and this forum is far from representative of the majority of popular thought.

Steve M., klockwerk, Brudy and 11 others like this.
  7. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Wow, that's really cool.

8. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

9. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

How many EDM, hip-hop, pop etc. artists are actually big fans of Kraftwerk though?

10. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Different eras, plus there is something like twice as many people on Earth now as there was when The Beatles played Ed Sullivan. So there are now fewer people alive who remember The Beatles first-hand and many more who are around today with Kraftwerk still being active. If The Beatles had hypothetically survived to the present day like The Stones have, maybe things would be different. I could just as easily say that Kraftwerk doesn't now and never will yield the kind of massive socio-cultural impact that The Beatles did in their era. A third of all televisions in one nation will never tune in to see Kraftwerk on a variety show, although I'm not knocking Kraftwerk by any means.

Guy E, Classicolin and ajsmith like this.
  11. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think you mean ask any band you know. This post was on the last page :

"Autobahn" was on the radio a couple of weeks ago while I was in the car with my 19 year old daughter.

She reeled off a list of various favourite bands of hers (all current) who she said it reminded her of.

Definitely influential, no doubt about that.

Vinyl Addict, dadonred and e.s. like this.
  12. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Roger Waters was more influential than Kraftwerk. Just ask him.

13. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Because the Beatles music has been around for so long, it is easy to take their all-pervasive influence for granted. In the 60s, it seems that there was no genre of music that wasn't influenced in some fashion by the Beatles. Soul? Country? Jazz? Yep, yep and yep. There influence is so vast that it would be truly difficult to envision a musical landscape had they never been part of the equation. They came at a time when there wasn't nearly as many sub-genres of music, nor were there as many options for listening to music. It was radio or buying records. To a much smaller degree, there was television, with shows like American Bandstand and the Ed Sullivan Show, but the main way by far that people listened to music was radio and records. No YouTube, no streaming, no downloading, and no MTV. The fewer options to listen to music meant that the Beatles music was being absorbed by a much higher percentage of the population. And thanks to their vast popularity, their music was also heard in cover versions of their songs by a dizzying array of artists in several genres. Is it even possible to imagine a world where none of this ever happened? And due to this pervasive influence, I would say it is far more likely than not that you could count the members of Kraftwerk themselves as being influenced on some level by the Beatles. This would then render this comparison a moot point as no Beatles might also mean no Kraftwerk, so one would have to take all of the Kraftwerk-influenced artists and say that they are influenced by The Beatles, if only on a DNA-level.

One other thing to consider is the fact that Kraftwerk wasn't particularly a popular band, even in their heyday. Their records didn't sell in massive numbers and their obviously was never anything approaching a "Kraftwerk-mania". To suggest that now they have a greater influence than the Beatles would mean that over the past 40 years they have found an incredible surge in popularity. I understand that they were pioneers in electronic music, but to say that EVERY artist who now does electronic music is "influenced" by Kraftwerk is like saying that everyone who ever used an electric guitar is "influenced" by Les Paul.

14. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

15. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

its a junk thread people! Nothin' to see here!

[​IMG]

Tedham, Sean, vitorbastos123 and 6 others like this.
  16. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Willful ignorance?

Blank Frank and Billy Infinity like this.
  17. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Influenced by Kraftwerk:

18. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

That tongue doesn't look too healthy...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  19. Jason Michael

Jason Michael Senior Member

This convinced me: New Order is the most influential band ever.

Poison_Flour and DRM like this.
  20. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

What about Joy Division?

Thatfabulousalien likes this.
  21. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Velvet Underground didn't sell in huge numbers but have been massively influential.

Vinyl Addict, Brudy, DTK and 7 others like this.
  22. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Please!

23. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

No, I mean ANY band. Known and unknown. Every of them have heard about The Beatles, while many (if not most) haven't even heard the name "Kraftwerk". Let alone know a single song by them

Morton LaBongo likes this.
  24. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I'm going to try this, and put The Shaggs in the centre! Betcha I can make it look the same...

Kraftwerk is cool. Second most influential? Phhhht.

Morton LaBongo and theMess like this.
  25. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

Really??? Who came first? Kraftwerk or Giorgio Moroder (writer & producer of "I Feel Love') who was also producing synthesizer music from the mid 70s?...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.