50th Anniversary: 1967 Monterey International Pop Festival: Performance-By-Performance

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WilliamWes, Jun 1, 2017.

1. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Some L.A. based groups that weren't involved which might have been nice to have had as part of the Monterey festival to me are: Love, The Peanut Butter Conspiracy/The Ashes, The Seeds, The Mojos/Mojo Men, The Sunshine Company, Taj Mahal, Captain Beefheart... and imagine The Golliwogs from the bay area!

fr in sc, J Vanarsdale and WilliamWes like this.
  2. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

Love, The Seeds and Captain Beefheart specially would have fit very well!

SG47, tedhead, ianuaditis and 2 others like this.
  3. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

My overall preferred performance of Monterey Pop is Section 43 by CJ&Fish.

I have this in the double CD Monterey International Pop Festival. Unlike other songs, it does not indicate that this was previously unreleased. Anybody knows where this extraordinary version has been released on CD?

phillyal1 and O Don Piano like this.
  4. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

Regarding BB&HC, I enjoy their performance of Ball and Chain more and more as time passes by. They are a visual joy of course and the band is very good. I have always liked them and never believed that Janis made a good move when she left.

The bands that played with her thereafter work more as backing musiciana and are not half as exciting. She became a soul singer in my opinion and I do not like this period much, except Bobby McGee which is a masterpiece.

Big Brother went on to record 2 albums with Gravenites which have their good moments. Gravenites is awesome. Gurley switched to bass, anyone knows why? Is this related with his legal hassles/death of Nancy?

fr in sc and WilliamWes like this.
  5. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Yeah, those quotes sound familiar. I think some of them, or ones like it, are on the DVD From Anthem To Beauty.

ianuaditis likes this.
  6. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I think Big Brother used to trade off who played bass around the time they recorded Cheap Thrills. But that would have been between Peter Albin and Sam Andrews. So yeah James Gurley later playing bass would have been a switch. By the time they were playing with Nick, I think both Albin and Andrews, who had both briefly left, had returned. But on How Hard It Is, which is a decent album btw, they had Gurley listed as only on bass. Hm. Not sure how accurate that is because Albin is also listed on bass. Did Gurley not play on every song?

7. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

I seem to recall having read that James switched to bass full time during this period. There is an additional member, Dave Shallock, who also plays guitar and does a great job on lead in Joseph's Coat - Getz informed me it is. Maybe during Gurley's obligatory absence they added Dave on guitar and there was no room for him as guitarist when he returned? I am intrigued.

Hardy Melville likes this.
  8. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

The second performance is iconic in a way the first can never be for the simple reason that it was immortalized on film.

But that aside, which take do you all think had the better performance from Janis, the one from the first night or the second (filmed) night?

beccabear67 likes this.
  9. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Thanks OP for this wonderful topic/thread!

I remember seeing the movie the first time on the ABC 3:30 PM movie back in probably 1975. In order to fully appreciate the film I had to be in an altered state...so that was the first time I...ahem.....inhaled. It was a trip ;).
    Tonight I'll celebrate with the Criterion collection and have been playing some of the music from the artist of the show.

GerryO, WilliamWes and beccabear67 like this.
  10. simond9x

simond9x Forum Resident

Just been watching the movie again for the first time in years. I'm sure that this has been discussed ad nauseam before (apologies) but, watching her singing 'Today', it had never struck me before how much Laura Nyro resembles Grace. Love both versions.

WilliamWes and beccabear67 like this.
  11. SGR

SGR Forum Resident

The movie lived up to everything I read about the Monterey Pop Festival as a young, impressionable fan. It is difficult to wrap my head around the fact that the people in the audience, who are forever young in the film, are now in their late 60's or early 70's. Even the babies and small children are now in their 50's. Yet the carefree innocence, joy, and hope expressed at that time shine through 50 years later.

Some thoughts on some of the artists at Monterey and their music:

The Association: Their performance was better than I expected. I know that some consider them to be an unhip Top 40 AM sort of group, but much to my surprise, Jon Anderson mentioned them as an influence on Yes.

Janis Joplin: Ball and Chain still amazes me after all these years. I prefer her with Big Brother, who I thought had the right sound for her.

Jimi Hendrix: I was mesmerized the first time I saw Wild Thing, from the feedback in the beginning, just from moving his guitar, to the end where he burns his guitar. The fact that he quotes Strangers In the Night went right by me for a long time, because I still needed to process what I was hearing and seeing.

Canned Heat: The other big celebration this summer is of course Sgt. Pepper, and the point has been made that here we are in 2017 listening to what the Beatles did 50 years ago, but back in 1967, no one was listening to music that was made decades ago, which shows just how special the Beatles are. While I love the Beatles, Canned Heat's performance of Rollin' and Tumblin', a song that dates back to 1929 when Hambone Willie Newbern did it, shows that this argument is not entirely accurate. Groups like Cream were looking back to old blues songs from people like Skip James, the Lovin Spoonful could be considered something of an electric jug band for the rock era, and the Rooftop Singers had a hit in 1963 with Walk Right In.

The Who: I love how John Entwistle carries on playing bass during the destruction all around him at the end of My Generation.

12. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

I prefer the first performance. Big Brother & The Holding were booked for one slot and Janis gave it all she could've. The Sunday performance (just two numbers) was an encore and thankfully the movie cameras captured Janis in her prime. Iconic, indeed, but an encore.

WilliamWes and beccabear67 like this.
  13. beccabear67

Big Brother seemed a little bit off on the filmed performance, though Sam Andrew seemed particularly good, very confident! Janis might have been a bit off on Combination Of The Two, but only slightly, thrown by something played wrong by one of the band, or equipment or just nerves.

I thought Laura Nyro was quite good with the Poverty Train number, I'm not sure why her set is described as being bad in any way. I think if I could to be there for just one number by anyone, I'd love to have heard Flute Thing by The Blues Project bouncing around in the air!

Candace Bergen was there (with Terry Melcher) apparently. Does anyone know if Greg Shaw or Suzy Shaw went? Maybe in the crafts area selling 'God's Eyes' and leather stuff?

Bruce and WilliamWes like this.
  14. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

15. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

Monterey Pop ... How 'bout that Lou Rawls !!
    But seriously -- whenever LR comes up I always get a good feeling. While I own none of his music, he's likely the first Black performer I ever saw on television. Shouldn't be a big deal, but in a way, it was.
    I remember hearing that deep, smooth voice for the first time and wondering, why don't I know more about this guy? I was only a kid, but he came off as a very charismatic professional with tremendous vocal talent. I've never researched his career, so on the one hand he seems to have been very popular, but at the same time, under-appreciated. Throw in the slowly changing era of segregation climate, and perhaps he and his agent's choices with fairly safe material, I don't know, but I always enjoy anytime Low Rawls pops up on the radar. He seems like a seriously cool dude.

phillyal1 and WilliamWes like this.
  16. jmcinnis

jmcinnis Forum Resident

David Shallock (formerly of Marin County band The Pullice - where he played bass) was also a long-time bassist for the Sons of Champlin. Along with drummer, the late Jim Preston, they made a great rhythm section. Dave 'retired' from the SOC several years ago.

GerryO and qm1ceveb like this.
  17. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means Thread Starter

Well I listened to the first night last night and I filled in the gaps with studio recordings for the first time to get a better sense of things on Friday. There was a lot of pop between Lou Rawls and Johnny Rivers going back to back but since I heard the studio recordings of some cause there's no Mont audio, one of the better moments was "Secret Agent Man" by Rivers. That memorable guitar riff really fits in with the rock of the festival. Good way to close his set. Also I didn't notice how "Benedictus" by S&G was a little psychedelic vocally and how the crowd gave a big ovation for it. The ovation goes on for some time.

Anyway it was fun replaying the audio and video last night, I'll continue today with the Saturday acts. Hope you guys enjoyed it if you watched the movie or heard the audio. There's still plenty of time anyway this weekend.

18. beccabear67

Simon (& Garfunkel) could be very progressive, maybe a bit reluctantly on the Sounds Of Silence remix Tom Wilson put together while Simon was in England absorbing Davy Graham and others there. You can hear how they've absorbed the later remake of Sounds Of Silence by how they approach it at Monterey. A lot of the American folk-based musicians liked rock but it took them time to find their way into combining the two as well as others showing them it could be done, but like Phillips, once they did there were some real fireworks. Younger English folkies had the experience by I guess with 1969's Liege & Lief (although there were things before this by Davy Graham, John Renbourn and Sandy Denny sometimes with Dave Cousins).

I think The Association was excellent live with Along Comes Mary at Monterey. I'm not sure why people knock them. In a way the Mamas & Papas were trying a little too hard to be with it, kind of like some of the Monkees and it shoes. The Association were being themselves and how is that bad? Same with Johnny Rivers (though I'd admit he and Lou Rawls seem a bit 'older crowd' or show-biz in some ways compared to others on the bill, not head music like Hugh Masakela, or the best without being too earnest Simon & Garfunkel.

:cool: Bonus Track: P.F. Sloan... doing one of his famous songs...

19. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

It's kind of neat that on the 50th anniversary the days of the week even match.

I'm not a mathematician or anything, but off the top of my head that seems like it only works with a turn of millennium leap day involved.

20. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

WilliamWes, which is the audio you are referring to? Is there audio available aside of the film and the standard Monterey releases?

21. WilliamWes

I thought I posted this earlier but if anyone is replaying the festival or wants to hear the stuff I reviewed, psych67 on YouTube has posted every single audio clip available for Monterey. So any tracks you see on this thread with a grade will be on those videos.

Complete Monterey Int'l Pop Festival Part 1 & 2 (9 parts total) (the other parts follow in the queue)

Listing for part 1 & 2 on this video...I'm not going to post the listing for all 4 videos but I posted one so you get the idea.

Monterey International Pop Festival, Monterey County Fairgrounds, CA, June 16 - 18 1967 (Disc's 1 & 2 Of 9)

("Hamsters Turn On Frequently". What a GAS!!!. - From "At The Zoo" (1967)

Friday Evening - June 16 1967.

01-Festival Introduction By John Phillips.
    02-The Association - The Machine.
    03-The Association - Along Comes Mary.
    04-The Association - Windy.
    05-Introduction By Chet Helms.
    06-Lou Rawls - Love Is A Hurtin' Thing.
    07-Lou Rawls - Dead End Street.
    08-Lou Rawls - Tobacco Road.
    09-Johnny Rivers - Memphis.
    10-Eric Burdon & The Animals - Paint It Black.
    11-Introduction By Chet Helms.
    12-Eric Burdon & The Animals - San Franciscan Nights.
    13-Eric Burdon & The Animals - Ginhouse Blues.
    14-Eric Burdon & The Animals - Hey Gyp.
    15-Introduction By John Phillips.
    16-Simon & Garfunkel - Homeward Bound.
    17-Simon & Garfunkel - At The Zoo.
    18-Simon & Garfunkel - The 59th Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy.)
    19-Simon & Garfunkel - For Emily.
    20-Simon & Garfunkel - Sound Of Silence.
    21-Simon & Garfunkel - Benedictus.
    22-Simon & Garfunkel - Punky's Dilemma.

Saturday Afternoon - June 17 1967.

23-Introduction By John Phillips.
    24-Canned Heat - Rollin' And Tumblin'
    25-Canned Heat - Dust My Broom.
    26-Canned Heat - Bullfrog Blues.
    27-Introduction By Chet Helms.
    28- Brother & The Holding Company - Down On Me.
    29-Big Brother & The Holding Company - Combination
    Of The Two.
    30-Big Brother & The Holding Company - Harry.
    31-Big Brother & The Holding Company - Road Block.
    32-Big Brother & The Holding Company - Ball & Chain.
    33-Country Joe & The Fish - Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine.
    34-Country Joe & The Fish - I Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die-Rag.
    35-Country Joe & The Fish - The Bomb Song.
    36-Country Joe & The Fish - Section 43.
    37-Al Kooper - (I Heard Her Say) Wake Me, Shake Me.

After these play, parts 3 & 4 in the queue come up next and play. You could just let the videos play themselves and sit back and not touch another button. He/she put up pics for each artist to look at as your listening or you can look at the pics on this thread. Whatever tickles your fancies. LOL

qm1ceveb likes this.
  22. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

I watched the movie last night, but this time with a better audio setup and took in some new observations after reading through the thread the past few days.
    The interspersed crowd scenes, some not related to the performances as they were occurring, were well edited. I really hadn't noticed it after all these years. The obvious one was the Mama Cass reaction to Janis Joplin's performance, which now kind of ruins it....but nevertheless....Janis did rock it.

The Byrds could have been better if McGuinn's guitar was tuned properly.

"Paint it Black" was interesting, but the violin could have been mixed down once the band kicked in.

I'm not a Jefferson Airplane fan at all, as I cannot stand Marty Balin's voice, but I was impressed with the Rickenbacker sound of Paul Kanter, and the guitar was tuned....McGuinn should have borrowed it.

The only section of Hugh Masakela's song that I really enjoyed was the blending of the three horns...it was a proper melody, but the interplay was good.

The blues bands that played were all good and would have been great to listen to during the afternoon. Especially with a platter full of vegan ribs and beer ;).

The Who....this is where it all..begins. Even though the sound of Townshend's guitar is not up to snuff, the band itself must have terrified those not aware of the shards of Stratocaster that would be flying into their stoned little heads. Along with Keith's sticks flying all over the place, their performance was a definite POW! WOW! Had they had "Sell Out" released before the concert, I wonder how those songs would have played to this audience....think "Relax", "Our Love Was/Is", "Rael"...and of course "I Can See for Miles"....it would have been difficult to pull off but those songs began a new chapter of the Who.

Hendrix's cable crackle really bums me out because what he does during that feedback opening sequence is simply amazing. I can only imagine someone on Owsley Acid watching this guy with a large head that's not proportional to his body, wielding a guitar around his body like a huge wand...oh the tracers...and the singing howling of it. Unfortunately the guitar went out of tune...and that woke me from my fascination of what he was doing. It's always a problem with these type of recorded events. Live at the moment it wouldn't have really mattered, but watching over and over again it becomes a bit of annoyance. Nevertheless, the band are amazing. Tonight I'll watch the Jimi plays Monterey disc in its entirety.

The Ravi Shankar performance is amazing, but I don't think I could have sat through 3 hours of that. I was totally mesmerized by the interplay between the tabla and sitar, but at one point, my bladder started sending signals to my brain, and ruining the buzz....I can only imagine the crowd at some point.

Also can't wait to watch Otis Redding's full performance....He was the MAN!.

23. WilliamWes

Ironically enough, I bumped into a street fair I didn't know about and took some pics as I walked through.

It looked so like the Monterey festival from '67 except for two items - the cell phone covers and sound activated light-up shirts for sale-otherwise they had records for sale with a 60's section (saw a stop sign shaped vinyl for an Eric Burdon album Stop from 1975) African rugs and masks and Asian rugs, pillows, clothing, beads, necklaces, purses, food, posters including one of Jimi Hendrix that was hanging, Pure Hemp Co. had various items, jewelry, artworks. As I was snapping photos with a cell phone (if you can snap them with that!), a Buddhist monk came up to me (yeah I'm serious), he thought I was an NYC tourist, and he put a bead wrist band / bracelet on me and gave me an amulet that says 'work smoothly', 'lifetime peace' on the back and 'Kai guang amulet' 'names Guanine Bodhisattva' on the front. I had to give him $2 dollars cause that helped transport me back. That was so cool to bump into that street fair. It was right in the street-about 9 streets long. Alright time to get back to the music!

24. Indeed.
    Be yourself, everyone else is taken. - Oscar Wilde

25. WilliamWes

Oh hilarious! He is top 5 quotable people who lived on this earth for me! He's so nasty but funny. :D

fr in sc likes this.