Who else dislikes iTunes?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by vinyl13, Oct 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet

This is pretty much all I like iTunes for. It is great for organizing music and making playlists, but I can't stand the constant software updates. It got to the point where I couldn't access the iTunes Store because my OS was too out of date, so I updated for the next OS, making my laptop slower and some features on my computer no longer worked after that.

I guess my biggest complaint isn't against iTunes specifically, but more against the Apple name brand. The only product of theirs I could have ever seen myself purchasing again would have been the classic iPod (because of the amount of music I have), but they no longer make that. So, here's hoping my current iPod doesn't die anytime soon.

Wombat Reynolds likes this.
  2. CirculationUnderflow

CirculationUnderflow Well-Known Member

mm just slap a 128g SD card in those overpriced Iphones and play what you want independently .. oh wait lol

I should be a zillionaire. I bought the blue IMac in 98 thought it was a cool idea. I used SOUND JAM that became Itunes but it was good before it became Itunes. Saw one person on page 2 mention sound jam. My wife goes we should invest in apple (keep in mind it was $28 a share and really was just starting to be apple again) and I go nah, apple probably wont be around for much longer. OMG ZOMG SUPER ZOMG. Wish id of sold everyting i owned then and invested but anyways

I have used Itunes for labeling but I havent used it in ages.

I just hate everything being so internet oriented. What happens when the government takes all this connectivity away from us

3. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

4. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

This post was on page 1. Why are we on page 19? This is it. Game over. The end.

iTunes is a turd, but it’s the least stinky turd. Despite it being bad, there is literally nothing better. The answer to the OP’s question is no more or less complicated than that.

5. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

They're only going to take away your own personal library, and then make you pay through the nose to rent it.

snowman872 and Crimson jon like this.
  6. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

What are you talking about ? even Windows media player is better.

7. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

Yes, though it P*****s me off that they took away the ability to play a DVD with the "upgrade" to W10.

8. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

You’re kidding me, right? WMP’s cataloging capabilities aren’t even in the same universe as iTunes. You’re comparing apples to trucks.

OobuJoobu and TheLastVoice like this.
  9. spacer

spacer Forum Resident

I don't use iTunes. Their files won't play on my Walkman.

10. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

It is just a way to buy and store compressed music files on the computation machine....I am indifferent to its existence. I started using it in my early twenties so I'm used to it but prefer CD player and physical media.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  11. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

maybe / maybe not. However, itunes is a sluggish program, that eats up far too many resources for what it needs to do and constantly wants to update.

12. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

If they are unprotected AAC files they should play on your Walkman (they play on mine). The ones that won't play on a Walkman are protected AAC files (with DRM), but DRM has been dropped for music files purchased through iTunes.

13. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

I want absolutely nothing to do with iTUNES. never will.

snowman872 and klockwerk like this.
  14. Old Fart Rant #452:
    I don't like iTunes, iPhones, or iPods, although iHop has pretty good pancakes. The concept of people watching movies and listening to music on their phones does not compute with me. Not long ago, there was a post in the Visual Arts forum, where somebody was complaining that the TV series "Better Call Saul" was filmed too dark. Not dark subject matter, literally too dark. It's hard to see when he watches it on his phone. Well, no s***, Sherlock!

Ed Hughes likes this.
  15. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Better media players? JRiver for one. I have iTunes because I have a iPhone. I use it to transfer music to my iPhone. End of. All my home based computer music is played through JRiver which is light years ahead of what iTunes can do, and sounds fantastic doing it.

RolandG, Roberto899 and AlanDistro like this.
  16. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

the interface is pure garbage. When they somehow lost two files I had purchased, that was the last straw, I un-installed and never went back.

Its a shame because their soundfiles are really good, but its not worth it. I buy hi rez mp3s from amazon, so much easier and quality is good enough for most things.

17. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

For those like me who missed being able to open playlists in a new window, that's back in the latest version. Sure makes creating playlists a lot easier! Can just drag tracks into place in the playlist window.

18. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

This is timely for me because I've been trying to set up a 512 GB flash drive modified iPod with Rockbox (the iPod firmware can only handle a finite amount of songs, regardless of storage capacity). It's been infuriating trying to manage my iTunes library. I've decided to sell the iPod on eBay and move forward with a FiiO purchase, which has been long overdue.

The folks behind iTunes are notorious for never doing any user research or testing. They just do whatever they want, which is complete poison for customers. They basically live in their own castle on the Apple campus, and they even have a private stage behind their building for artist performances exclusive to their team that no other organizations can attend. Arrogance is rampant.

The interface is awful. Things I used to be able to do ten years ago are either impossible to initiate, or the features have been completely removed.

Hidden purchases? WTF is up with that? I've never purposely hidden any purchases, yet I seem to find myself at least once a year "un-hiding" purchases from 6-7 years ago.

Apple giveth and Apple taketh away.

snowman872 and klockwerk like this.
  19. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

It's amazing to me that people can become so emotionally turbulent about this thing that's nothing more than a database with a UI on top.

ricks likes this.
  20. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

Another vote for JRiver, use it every day, does everything iTunes could and much more.

RolandG likes this.
  21. ricks

ricks Senior Member

DBA's are the real villains.. "It's not the database" "It's not the database" "It's not the database" - LIARS ALL!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Blue Gecko and Stone Turntable like this.
  22. Isn't that an oxymoron? How can MP3 files be hi-res?

AlanDistro likes this.
  23. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

as opposed to lower rez mp3 files

24. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

One can also store and rip lossless music files using iTunes. Lossless files purcahsed elsewhere can be imported to iTunes too.

Crimson jon likes this.
  25. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Please name you favourite JRiver features that leave iTunes behind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.