Five tries later, I have yet to finish "The Dark Knight"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Jun 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Haha that's how he's cast in the Lego movies. No one likes him, but can he redeem himself? Tune in and find out. Amazon.com: Lego Batman Movie, The (2017) BD [Blu-ray]: Will Arnett, Zach Galifianakis, Michael Cera, Rosario Dawson, Ralph Fiennes, Chris McKay, Matthew Ashton, Dan Lin, Phil Lord, Will Allegra, Christopher Miller, Brad Lewis, John Powers Middleton, Roy Lee, Zareh Nalbandian, Ryan Harris, Seth Grahame-Smith, Chris McKenna, Eric Sommers, Jared Stern, John Whittington: Movies & TV

Hmmm...I think the Nolans made the opposite statement. That it's necessary, that true heroes can't shy away from their dark side to really lead. I also don't understand how that's unrealistic for Lucius to take the opposite position and get on his high horse about the immorality of it. His character had been developed for a long time as being both ethical and judgmental about others' lack of ethics. I agree, he came across as overreacting and overbearing about it, but that was rather the point of turning him into a drama queen. Nolan got to have it both ways, which he always does so well. And I don't think the politics of it are cheap. Movies can't shy away from dealing with the times when they're created.

2. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

If you can't sit still for this movie, then you have an attention span problem.

3. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

P.T. Anderson is legit though, right? I mean, he is a great director! Wes Anderson. Again. Great!

DrewHarris and Mr. Grieves like this.
  4. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

I strongly dislike both.

GregM likes this.
  5. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I am surprised it is possible but I dislike both's films more than Nolan's. I think the only way Wes Anderson could get anymore pretentious if Sonic Youth reformed and did soundtracks for his films.

GregM likes this.
  6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

After reading hundreds of thousands of posts about movies with people defending films like "Pacific Rim," I'm now of the opinion that with potato chips to shove into their mouths and a handy Barcalounger, the American public would watch five seasons of "America's Paint Drying" and be convinced it was time well spent.

The Hermit likes this.
  7. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Wes & Paul Anderson are great directors imo. Nolan is too, though I find him a bit overrated personally. The Grand Budapest is fantastic, I just watched it again the other day, & There Will Be Blood is still one of the greatest films I've ever seen. And The Master?? Come on, fantastic film! Whatever, I like them(& Kubrick too of course).

Oh, Dark Knight is a great movie. Rises, I think, is flawed

FVDnz and Standoffish like this.
  8. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Uh.... giant robots punching monsters in the face... May not be great cinema, but c'mon. What more could you want from a "popcorn" flick?

agentalbert likes this.
  9. Half of being smart is knowing what you are dumb at doing. If this movie does not work for you...so be it. There is no prize for watching and no penalty for not watching.
    At least you have well thought out and valid points for not enjoying the movie all the way through. It is much harder to understand when the person simply says, "It sucks".

10. Rushmore is a masterpiece as far as I'm concerned, but almost everything he's done since then have been precious, affected li'l dioramas for antique-shopping NPR listeners to get all tingly over.

GentleSenator likes this.
  11. GregM

GregM The expanding man

This says it all.

12. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I think Heath Ledger saved the movie.

13. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

I saw Batman Begins 1.5 times and that was more than enough. I know many people love these films, and that's fine, but they aren't for me.

14. DrewHarris

DrewHarris Forum Resident

Sorry you feel that way. Then again, superhero movies are an acquired taste. What pulled me into The Dark Knight and the other Nolan Batman movies is how they do pay respect to the comics yet they have their own feel. I would say they act as very thrilling crime dramas since the characters are there, the drama is there, and the action is of course there. I don't think I can add anything more to Heath Ledger's take on the Joker. Given that he was known as a pretty boy type of actor, seeing such a dark side of him was quite a surprise and the fact that this was his final performance while he was still alive makes it a little more eerie for me. While The Dark Knight Rises wasn't as strong as the rest of Nolan's trilogy, I still enjoy them and I'm not one to judge those that dislike certain movies and call them an "idiot". I can't stand people like that and it's kinda sad to see such behavior in this thread.

15. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I'm on board with the tepid response to the Nolan Batman films. They're bloated, take themselves too seriously, and are just too long. However, Heath Ledger's performance in TDK is so well done it saves the entire picture.

Ghostworld likes this.
  16. Drew

Drew Senior Member

'Know how I got these scars?

Watching Christopher Nolan' s Batman movies.

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

Don't get me wrong. I love Nolan. I love "Interstellar" and think its a sci-fi classic.

18. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I love Nolan, Wes Anderson and most recently the films of Denis Villeneuve. Love Anderson's quirky style of filmmaking and The Grand Budapest Hotel is no exception. One of these days, I must also remind myself to pick up Fantastic Mr. Fox on Bluray too. Another director I haven't heard from much lately is Michel Gondry. What was that movie again with Jack Black where they were re-enacting movies in a video store?

Also love the work of Frank Darabont too. I thought The Majestic was an underrated gem of a film. Anyhoo, as far as trying to watch a movie to the end multiple times thus ultimately failing to do so - the Matt Damon Bourne Trilogy puts me to sleep every time.

19. DrewHarris

DrewHarris Forum Resident

You're looking for Be Kind Rewind where he and Mos Def have to shoot their own "sweded" versions of all the movies in their video store that have been erased (how they were erased in the first place is pretty funny). It's one of the better JB roles. No Kung Fu Panda or School of Rock but still funny.

20. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I'd differ, as my 80" HDTV and 5.1 surround, does not need me missing the Theatre. But sayin' that, I'm not much of a Batman connoisseur.
    007 on the other hand....... :edthumbs:

21. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

You strongly dislike PT Anderson's films? Boogie Nights, Magnolia, Punch-Drunk Love, The Master, etc.

Do you and others who feel similarly have a strong dislike of 90s - present film in general?

22. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

His movies pre-There Will Be Blood are okay. I just think that movie was horribly overrated. Very muddled thematically. Evil vs. evil as a story construct? Not sure how that really worked out. But Day Lewis gave a very flamboyant performance.
    I do think that music and movies follow the same trajectory from the mid-90s onward. That is, not very good.

23. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Let me turn that question around. Do you feel Anderson's films are representative of 90s - present?

24. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

I haven't read the entire thread, but really, if you've tried five times and not made it all the way through...it's time to cut your losses.

Wish I'd followed my own advice for Suicide Squad....

25. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Watching films over and over you don't like (but only the first hour of them).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.