Kraftwerk More Influential Than the Beatles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jamo spingal, Jun 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

King Tubby never smoked a joint in his life, by the way, wouldn't allow anyone else to do so in his studio either, so I'll disregard this opinion.

2. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

When asked to comment on the Beatles, artists will comment on the Beatles.

Hard to know the context in such a post as to whether they voluntarily offered that or whether they were providing a response when prompted.

Response bias: Response bias (also called survey bias) is the tendency of a person to answer questions on a survey untruthfully or misleadingly. For example, they may feel pressure to give answers that are socially acceptable.

Response bias is a general term for a wide range of cognitive biases that influence the responses of participants away from an accurate or truthful response. These biases are most prevalent in the types of studies and research that involve participant self-report, such as structured interviews or surveys. Response biases can have a large impact on the validity of questionnaires or surveys.

Response bias can be induced or caused by a number of factors, all relating to the idea that human subjects do not respond passively to stimuli, but rather actively integrate multiple sources of information to generate a response in a given situation. Because of this, almost any aspect of an experimental condition may potentially bias a respondent.

3. uncle

uncle Senior Member

I am 45, listen to rock with some pop and mostly old school hip hop mixed in. 95% of my active listening is to live recordings of my favorite artists. I am not big on studio albums if there is a good live recording alternative.

Aside from perusing this site for the past 17 years or so, i really don't get into minutiae or history of music and the artists I like. For the most part I really don't care about who influenced a band or artist and would not seek that information out so unless I was exposed to them directly and liked what I heard, then there is no way for me to know who they are.
    I did go to YouTube after this thread and check out some of their stuff. Not for me and I know why I never heard of them. That style of music and performance does not appeal to me although I can appreciate that people may love it. Just doesn't connect with me.

4. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I assume that this comment was in response to my posts? Either way, the same applies to Kraftwerk; if asked about them, people will respond.

All of the quotes I posted were from acts speaking about their influences.

gotblues and Dennis0675 like this.
  5. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

You've been perusing this site for 17 years and never once saw a mention of Kraftwerk until this thread?

Blank Frank and e.s. like this.
  6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

[​IMG]

7. Why would that surprise you? Kraftwerk is not the subject of multiple threads after threads and can you honestly say you are aware of all the bands from the 70s that are mentioned from time to time in this forum? I know I can't, and I have been active here for 11 years.

uncle likes this.
  8. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

9. gotblues

gotblues Forum Resident

:):D I love this quote. Love all of both your posts, great research job. Thanks for taking the time to put it together - a most nifty read.

ianuaditis, Dennis0675 and theMess like this.
  10. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

11. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

12. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

13. uncle

uncle Senior Member

I can honestly say this is the first thread I can recall seeing regarding Kraftwerk. It is very possible I have "seen" the name in passing while scrolling or whatever but since they are not on my radar it didn't register with me. I don't read every single word posted on this site.

Honestly if I hadn't been interested in the recent Sgt Pepper Beatles talks I probably wouldn't have even noticed this one. I generally don't go into Beatles threads either, it is only due to my renewed interest from the reissue that I have been checking out the Beatles threads.

In another week or so I won't even be reading those as my interest will have been sated for the time being.

14. gotblues

gotblues Forum Resident

I was already aware of it, thanks.

I've stated clearly upthread that I have no personal dog in this fight. I read and follow the thread because I'm interested in the general theme of influences, not because I am "for" or "against" either band or anything else for that matter. Nobody "wins". There is room for both bands, their respective impacts and influences, and for those who in turn influenced these bands. The pissing-match aspects here are a result of the way the original post and its cited article set up a pitting of one band (and their adherents) against another. Your link is of course also interesting but doesn't change the fact that the two posts put up by TheMess are good enjoyable reading and took some time to assemble, which I appreciated.

While Kraftwerk is not my own cup of tea that doesn't mean I can't recognize their influences.

While I cherish what is (relative to their huge catalogue) a handful of work from the Beatles, that doesn't mean I can't recognize their influences.

theMess likes this.
  15. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

All of you are confusing popularity and expose, with influence. There is a huge difference.
    Being an influential act and setting a new direction in music is not necessarily the same as being all over the place, like The Beatles were and selling millions of records. If in doubt, then ask the millions of musicians who was directly or indirectly influenced by The Velvet Underground. While they were active, they were regarded by many as a novelty act and something Andy Warhol put together. Yet, the 4 groundbreaking records inspired millions of musicians, though they didn't sell anything.
    The same can be said of Kraftwerk, though they were actually more commercial. They created a whole new scene based on electronical concepts and sounds. Ask any electronica / techno and ambient-act who the godfathers are...

It's about time people here should come out of their nutshell and accept the fact that The Beatles was not responsible everything.

Time is running out and the rope are slippering. Beatle-maniacs are obviously very desperate that the art of their generation are vanishing over time, togrther with themselves. Therefore the 'Beatles-Are-Everything' attitude...

16. Kraftwerk are now the godfathers of ambient too? Wow!

Not that it really matters, but both Kraftwerk and The Beatles are Baby Boomer bands (along with most of their fans), so I fail to see this difference of opinion as an indicator of a generation failing to come to grips with the changin' times and tastes.

Purple, theMess and gotblues like this.
  17. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

It matters when it comes to someone's popularity among musicians. You can't be influenced by an artist you're not familiar with first off. And you're going to be influenced by the music you spend a lot of time listening to.

18. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

The Beatles aren't everything. Plenty of other musicians have made excellent music.

But there's going to be disagreement when the Beatles are put out there...in comparison to Kraftwerk.

But we don't have to try to make points by putting forth that the Beatles enthusiasts are saying that the Beatles were Everything.

And that no other group makes excellent and influential music.

This thread put forth the questionable proposition that Kraftwerk were MORE influential than the Beatles.

So naturally, people are going to respond.

On BOTH sides.

gotblues likes this.
  19. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Yes, that was an excellent quote from Bowie; he described what it is that I love about psychedelia and John's work so well, the 'strangeness' as he put it.

Also, thanks for the kind words; it did take a while, but as you say, it is an enjoyable read, and it was fun to put together. There were already so many similar posts regarding Kraftwerk, so I thought that I should balance things out a bit.

I am a huge fan of both groups, and listen to both regularly. I already tried to explain my views in a previous comment in this thread, so I won't bore anyone by repeating them, but in summary basically both groups are very influential on todays pop music, just for different reasons.

wayneklein and gotblues like this.
  20. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

You can disregard the part about Dub as it relates to Tubby specifically, but the rest of the comment still stands.

21. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I would take your post more seriously.

If you were more specific.

Give it a shot...

:shrug:

22. I agree with you, but the title of the tread was designed to put these two bands head to head (as wrong a thread as you could ask for IMO). A thread that focused on the huge influence Kraftwerk had/has on modern music need not bring The Beatles into the equation.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    theMess, Chuckee, notesfrom and 2 others like this.
  23. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

If we're talking about current filmmakers, the ones who answer George Lucas are getting it right, and most would probably answer George Lucas.

It's a common misconception that artists typically have something like an obsessive, nerdy fan's focus on the history of the artform they're working in. The majority of artists do not. Those of us who are obsessive, nerdy fans AND artists are in the minority--we fit in with most artists just the way that nerds fit in culturally in general.

24. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

The press is comparing these to Vaporware and Portishead.

mfp likes this.
  25. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Yes. the title did bring up the Beatles.

Out of necessity.

Otherwise, if the title was: "There's nobody more influential EVER in the world of music compared to Kraftwerk"...there would be a tidal wave of responses bringing up the Beatles.

Now, if the title would have stated: "Kraftwerk was VERY influential and REMAINS cutting edge."...the Beatles enthusiasts would have reacted differently. Or just stayed away...

theMess likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.