The Beatles Past Masters- come up with a better name.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Jun 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Loose Ends

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  2. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I renamed all 27 non-LP tracks simply "The Beatles: Singles & EPs" I put all the Christmas stuff on it's own, I dislike hearing a Christmas thing in July (and after a certain point even in December).

Keith V likes this.
  3. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

4. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

The Beatles Thingles pt1 and Thingles PT2

5. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

I agree that "Off The Beatle Track" would have been a great title for these. Unfortunately, that title was already taken. Sound-wise these were among the better Beatle discs but I was always disappointed that they didn't come up with a better cover. Did they not even think of using one of the nice full color Hey Jude album covers, for example?

Alternate titles could be:
    The Beatles - All You Need is Cash Volumes 1 & 2
    The Beatles - Shut Up and Give Us Your Money
    The Beatles - Burps, Farts and B-Sides

andrewskyDE likes this.
  6. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Morton LaBongo likes this.
  7. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Liverpool Leftovers

8. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

There were a number of A-sides too, the singles were as or more important than albums in the earlier '60s. I'm confused, is this a U.S. phenomenon seeing Past Masters as just B-sides and leftovers?

It also might have been nice to have had the material as part of the 'At Abbey Road' series of EMI CDs.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  9. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

I know. It was supposed to be a joke.
    And what problems? It had previously unreleased YS mono mixes.

10. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

"Long Tall Sally and Magical Mystery Tour EPs (plus 34 bonus tracks)"

11. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

The Beatles - Songs Not Included On the UK Albums Because They Didn't Want to Force Fans to Buy Them Twice, Though Most Fans Have Ended Up Buying Them Over & Over Again On Various Releases & You're Buying Them Again Now! (Vol 1 & 2)

12. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

How about, the Formerly Uncollected Collection... the forum would have fun with the abbreviated initials no doubt...

:):)

13. Ivan

Ivan Forum Resident

Penny Lane wasn't on Past Masters due to being included on Magical Mystery Tour CD :)

nikh33 likes this.
  14. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

I've never read that in any article, EVER. The only place I've seen that *possibly* intimated in the case of one particular single (IIRC in the Sgt Pepper 20th Anniversary TV special) was GM saying that releasing SFF/PL was a mistake, but he didn't explain WHY it was a mistake.

It was implied (by the editing) that it was because 'Release Me" shut it out of becoming a UK #1 but GM never said that himself - plus that's just a question of timing, anyway - there was no way to know beforehand that it would be in direct competition with such a chart juggernaut.

I saw another reference to GM seeming to imply, but definitely not directly saying that SFF/PL was a mistake because putting two such strong songs back to back split the attention and that perhaps it would have stood a better chance as a normal A-side/B-side situation rather than a double A-side. But again he never directly said that but it seemed to be the implication.

He could have also meant through some of the other quotes I've seen (again referring to SFF/PL and ONLY referring to SFF/PL) that it would have been best to wait to see if something better may have come along that they could release as a single rather than just taking two of the first three songs recorded in the Pepper sessions.

Plus its not like it was HIS choice to not put singles on albums in the UK - it was EMI's choice. When they said we want a single, he gave them a single - and generally speaking the previously released singles were excluded from albums except in the case of soundtrack albums and the very rare case where they came up short of material by a deadline and needed to put singles on an album.

I've never -EVER - seen him mention how any single other than SFF/PL was "a mistake", and he's certainly never clarified in 100% no uncertain terms (not open to interpretation) exactly how he saw SFF/PL as being a mistake.

...and I'd bet my house that he never said as you claimed:

"George Martin said that his biggest regret was that the singles were not on the albums"

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Easy-E and varitone like this.
  15. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Rest of the Best (not Pete Best)

rxcory, andrewskyDE and Bingo Bongo like this.
  16. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I don't want to make you homeless so I'll not take that bet.

17. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Actually it wouldn't because if it were called "Singles" people would likely complain (and rightfully so) "Where's Please Please Me, and Something, and Come Together and Eleanor Rigby and Yellow Submarine etc..."

It was NOT a collection of singles - it was a collection of tracks that weren't on any of the proper UK albums - the majority of which just happened to be singles.

18. Hot hits & Cold Cuts?

kch27 and andrewskyDE like this.
  19. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

I don't know if that's the best title in this thread, but its definitely the most accurate!

majorlance and cublowell like this.
  20. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

"You Know My Name, Look Up The Number" And Other Hits

21. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

The thick red booklet for the 1 album showed up Past Masters for the piece of thoughtless crap it's always been, packaging-wise.

22. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Call it "Bits 'n' Pieces" and use the "butcher block" artwork for the cover.

Crimson Witch and Rob Hughes like this.
  23. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I've always wondered... what does "Past Masters" actually mean? Sure, it's from the past, but so is nearly ANY compilation. And Masters... well we're listening to a CD or an album - it's not really the same as a Master tape. I always thought it was a meaningless title. Although I like, and appreciate, the concept.

Crimson Witch, Blue Note and Keith V like this.
  24. Tom Perry

Tom Perry Senior Member

The Beatles - Meet The Red-Headed StepChildren!

Red-headed stepchild: A person or thing that is neglected, unwanted, or mistreated.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

But John, George, and Paul already met Ringo...

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.