Kraftwerk More Influential Than the Beatles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jamo spingal, Jun 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

2. I do think (again this is an outsiders opinion) that the U.K. And Europe seem to embrace different movements more quickly and discard them more rapidly as well. At least for the U.K., it seems more registered male than for the U.S. Where it takes longer for a movement to,penetrate the market but, once it does, it can resonate for a longer time. Having said that, the sales of the Sgr. pepper deluxe indicates that there is still popularity. I'd also point out that when I used to his the club circuit, I would listen to and enjoy music there that I probably wouldn't as readily at home. That dent mean it didn't influence me for example. There were various musical tricks I learned from Electronic music that I funneled into my more American styled music when I performed, wrote and played.

theMess likes this.
  3. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Well, obviously NYC has always been hip, it didn't need the Beatles, or a Beatle, for that. I suspect the masses Johnny Boy saw walking around with crewcuts were not in New York City.

4. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Oh, really? Have YOU ever been to a club called "Dance Your A** Off"? - Bet you wouldn't see that in Texas... :laugh:

5. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

any kid in his basement with a laptop & a sequencer can sound like Kraftwerk

perhaps that is why they are now being heralded as influencial?

6. "Great minds think alike" (althoughin this case I'm not going to claim to have a great mind...just a very active one ;) )

dadonred likes this.
  7. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Obviously the Beatles were the biggest band of the 60s in the UK too - though the Stones and the Beach Boys edged them out on occasion.

wayneklein likes this.
  8. Chris Schoen

Yeah, and that's great too.

Bolero likes this.
  9. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Like anyone can play 12 bar?

drasil and Bolero like this.
  10. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

And there are no kids learning to strum and sing in their basements, right? Is that how it is in Ontario these days?

Bolero likes this.
  11. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

ps I should have stated this was somewhat tongue-in-cheek

wayneklein likes this.
  12. dadonred

drasil likes this.
  13. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

All change since Neil Young's day then... now did Neil Young ever make a Kraftwerk influenced album, I wonder :whistle:

14. Indeed. They also reach a different audience in many cases but not all. I appreciate both.

theMess likes this.
  15. Chris Schoen

dadonred likes this.
  16. dadonred

Who would ever introduce a value judgment into a thread about influence (and frequent attempts to thread cr@p it into popularity)? :rolleyes:

The_Windmill and Chris Schoen like this.
  17. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

Beatles=analog world
    Kraftwerk=digital world
    Humans>robots
    World=change
    History=rewritten

18. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Well, Drake is very influenced by the work of Kanye West, especially from a production point of view, and Drake's more recent work shows the influence of Kanye's '808s and Heartbreak', which itself was inspired by 80's synth pop, from Phil Collins to Gary Numan. Numan was of course influenced by Kraftwerk, so there is a direct chain of influence from Kraftwerk through to Drake.

Kanye is also very influenced by the Beatles, and said this about McCartney:

"Meeting Paul McCartney was like meeting Ralph Lauren," he states. "[They are] the greatest of their fields. Period. Of all time."

Working with McCartney was a great learning experience for West, musically. "The types of chord changes that Paul does...I don't even understand them," he said. West continued "To be able to be involved with writing a song like that is way next [level].''

This is what he said about the Beatles :

"That's why whenever bands come out and say, 'This album is better than the Beatles,' it is impossible to make an album better than the Beatles unless you've got 30 years," he explained. "Beatles records — people have known them their whole lives ...''

When Kanye produced 'Encore' for Jay-Z, he famously sampled a cover of the Beatles 'I Will'.

So I would say that through Kanye's influence, Drake has a connection to both groups.

DRM likes this.
  19. dadonred

Stone Turntable likes this.
  20. dadonred

Digital world????

The_Windmill likes this.
  21. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Cliches of European Masses notwithstanding, yearning to breathe free, come visit the place that brought the world Jazz and so much more.

Travel: It's not Just for The Rich and Famous.

22. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Ha ha

[​IMG]

23. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Your mention of The Beatles and Japan has got me thinking about the influence of the YMO; they were huge Beatles fans, and they famously covered 'Day Tripper', and they went on to be very influential over acts in the 80's and 90's thanks to their own groundbreaking works with synths. People like Eric Clapton and Michael Jackson covered them, and they became huge in Japan.

Uther likes this.
  24. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Austin has a lot of scenes.

Does Austin City Limits represent Austin anymore?

25. dadonred

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.