Kraftwerk More Influential Than the Beatles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jamo spingal, Jun 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

Kraftwerk were pioneers of electronic music. They were influential to the genre as a whole. Their influence may thus have extended to bands who didn't specifically admire their music but still embraced electronic music.

DTK likes this.
  2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It gives me chills too; the vocoder vocals are awful, really really awful. Yes I know the backstory, and it doesn't help making it a listenable record.

3. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Totally disagree, it's the non-vocoder non-electronic songs that are the problem. Neil should have gone full-on Kraftwerk for the whole album.

strummer101 likes this.
  4. drasil

drasil Former Resident

SHTV: -728

jon9091 likes this.
  5. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Influence need not involve sounding like the artist in question.

Say that someone loves the Beatles, and they love the opening chord to "Hard Day's Night". They learn that it's a Isus9/V chord. So they decide that they want to incorporate that in their own music somehow, but they don't want it to be just the same. So they make is a Isus9/IV chord used in a different context. That could very well sound nothing like the Beatles, but it's influenced by the Beatles.

Purple and theMess like this.
  6. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Ha! :D

I must say, you got me! :laugh:

DTK likes this.
  7. Terrapin Station

No. It doesn't work that way. First off, no one is the first at anything. That's tokenist bs. Every single artist ever is a combination of various influences, where they're combining a bit of this and a bit of that into something a bit different. Everything evolves gradually in the arts.

Secondly, you can only influence individuals. You can't influence a "genre as a whole" in some abstract way.

And individuals can't be influenced by something they're not familiar with.

Purple, Hardy Melville and gotblues like this.
  8. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Logically, someone must be first.

9. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I certainly have! I have all of their albums and watch their live performances on Youtube almost every day, especially this:

Interestingly, Tame Impala successfully merge 60's psych sounds with 70's and 80's electronic synths and dance rhythms, so in a way, they are like a child of both the Beatles and Kraftwerk.

Jim B., bopdd and gotblues like this.
  10. Terrapin Station

It may very well have started with a combination of nature imitation (animal sounds, bird calls, etc.), rhythms that weren't meant musically but that were the result of doing work--making spearheads, etc. So then it did start with taking a bit of this and a bit of that after all.

gotblues likes this.
  11. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

It's more likely than not that EDM will eventually shrivel up and die a natural death.

12. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

It will be interesting to see what happens to both rock and EDM over the next several decades; I am hopeful that both will continue.

Even just with the basic chords, there are so many millions of possible combinations that haven't been used yet, so as long as talented musicians become inspired by something, I think that the genres will exist. Whether they stay popular or not, I don't know.

13. Terrapin Station

And speaking of combining nature and work sounds, here's a temporary detour of some great music:

gotblues likes this.
  14. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Given EDM, probably not a natural death.

theMess likes this.
  15. Ninja Bomber

Ninja Bomber Forum Resident

When you consider the fact that EDM is actually an umbrella-term that covers a whole load of different genres and styles of electronic music, I'd say it has a pretty decent chance of sticking around for a good while yet. Even as the genres and styles currently covered by the term fade away, new ones will come along to replace them.

16. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

baloney.

the beatles hatred is strong on this thread.

I've heard tame impala, they're OK.

gotblues likes this.
  17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

If you read my post that you quoted I stated "I'm not even a fan of the Beatles". So how you thought that in my opinion that The Beatles are "responsible for everything" is beyond me. I have absolutely zero interest in electronica, techno or ambient music. If Kraftwerk as a group was very influential to artists in those genres then I have no doubt but to believe that fact.

But can you honestly say that Kraftwerk's music influenced more musicians than The Beatles music did over the last 50+ years?

18. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Forum Resident Thread Starter

Interesting point. James Joyce introduced a new style of writing and it appealed to a bunch of other writers, budding and established. JK Rowling is massively popular but how many other writers has she influenced apart from copycat writers jumping on her bandwagon ?

e.s. likes this.
  19. jamo spingal

BTW the Beatles were amazing.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  20. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Interestingly, a few years ago Bruno Mars has also cited the Beatles as an influence when he was growing up, and said that you can hear their influence and the influence of other classic rock acts like Led Zeppelin in his work.

21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Really? Not this American. What a ridiculous statement/post :rolleyes:.

starduster likes this.
  22. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

Noted: your emphasis on 'were' :hide:

andrewskyDE and The_Windmill like this.
  23. jamo spingal

Still are ....

andrewskyDE likes this.
  24. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

If you are going that far then Kraftwerk's influence is even greater.

Maurice likes this.
  25. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

For dance music....yeah. Probably even more these days.
    For anything involving a guitar...Nein! Nein! Nein!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.