Artists for whom you have a firm "cut-off" album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Minstrel Boy, Jun 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spsesq

Spsesq Forum Resident

I agree with you. I am a huge Genesis fan. But I cut it off with "We can't dance" and "Calling all Stations" was not even a Genesis album (Congo was a single on the album). It was Rutherford, Banks and a substitute singer's attempt at one last shot that failed miserably. It proved you can only replace Peter Gabriel once and succeed. By the way, not many bands could replace their lead singer even once and succeed. (Notable deceptions, Van Halen and AC/DC had success after a switch. But there are a lot more that did not or are just out their playing oldies for the boomers.)
    Steve

AndoDoug likes this.
  2. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

1975, the Hank Williams Jr. "And Friends" album is my cut-off point for his output. While Merle Haggard was making all that great music during the 1980s, Hank Jr. was getting too rowdy and I have no use for his later career periods.

3. basie-fan

basie-fan Forum Resident

I tend to just cherry-pick from the albums after these

Rush - Signals
    Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
    Midnight Oil - Earth and Sun and Moon
    Skinny Puppy - Too Dark Park
    Pixies - Bossanova
    Throwing Muses - The Real Ramona
    U2 - Achtung Baby
    Sarah McLachlan - Fumbling Towards Ecstasy

4. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Not much after Bruce Springsteen's Tunnel of Love has resonated with me at all.

5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

From around that time I rarely like Bruce with bands, but I enjoy him solo acoustic.

6. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

All I know is that I have a problem with most funk made after 1975. That's when the disco influence moves in, and it softened many a hard-hitting funk band - the Commodores, Bar-Kays, ESPECIALLY Kool & the Gang.

In the case of EWF, their better albums were made between 1971-75 and that's all there is to it - for me. Yes, there was always a smoothness, but it went down better on the first seven albums. I'd take "Reasons" over "Fantasy" anyday, and they're both ballads.

7. U2: I ignore everything after Rattle and Hum
    REM: I stop after Out Of Time
    Sting: I ignore everything after Mercury Falling (even though I did enjoy the Police reunion)
    Moody Blues: For me their career ends after Long Distance Voyager

8. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

These are bands, I can think of, that I was really into at one time, but have mostly lost interest in since...

The Cure - Disintegration
    Depeche Mode - Music for the Masses
    Guns N' Roses - Lies
    James Taylor - New Moon Shine
    John Mellencamp - Mr. Happy Go Lucky
    Ozzy Osbourne - Bark at the Moon
    R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
    Sting - Ten Summoner's Tales
    U2 - Rattle and Hum

9. Granadaland

Granadaland Forum Resident

TV on the Radio - Dear Science

ELBEAVERINO likes this.
  10. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Ones that killed it and I never went back?

Grateful Dead. Wake of the Flood. Tops the list, big fan of the Dead before this, never bought this or anything after it. Major killer.

Others
    The Who. Squeezebox on The Who By Numbers raised a major red flag for me, but Who Are You was the one that killed it.
    Blondie. Eat to the Beat was the last one I loved, so Autoamerican was the killer. The Hunter was just beating a dead horse, for an encore.
    Ramones. End of the Century. Not a bad album, but I did not like the new direction with Spector, and I never went back (their first four by comparison are in the Pantheon).
    Ohio Players. Angel. Contradiction was a very good album, but not as great as the three before it, and so Angel was so underwhelming it killed it for me.
    The Clash. London Calling. I do not get the love for this mess.
    Bob Dylan. Self Portrait. I know Dylan is said to have had an agenda on this, but put me in the WTF? camp. Never got over it. Probably my loss. but it is what it is.
    Quicksilver Messenger Service. Just for Love. Dino Valenti's return killed it for me, and I don't care how popular this album was.
    Janis Joplin. Pearl. It has some moments, but the album has become unlistenable for me. (Of course if Janis had survived, she may have turned it around, can't rule that out, so perhaps this doesn't belong here.)
    Savoy Brown. Jack the Toad. WTF? A classic case of the killed it off album. Everything before was great, and then bam.
    Fleetwood Mac. Future Games was the turning point, away from their blues base, and Kirwan and even Spencer gone after Green left previously. Ftr I did not hate the later iteration with Nicks and Buckingham, but I didn't buy it, either.
    Rod Stewart. Smiler. It just got even worse after this, but this was so bad. I suppose it deserves some credit for my not even coming close to getting a travesty like Atlantic Crossing.
    Steve Miller. The Joker. Well at least it had a nice cover. But I never went back after hearing the new direction here, and like for Smiler and Rod that helped me avoid even worse efforts later.

Finally I wish I could say The Stones after Tattoo You, but I did buy later albums of theirs up to Steel Wheels. Some I wish I hadn't. but that's a different question.

DTK likes this.
  11. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Hootie and Blowfish: Cracked Rear View
    Metallica: ...And Justice For All

12. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

The Who - Quadrophenia

13. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Live - Secret Samahdi. Decent album but all down hill afterward (dolphins cry :shake:)

U2 - achtung baby. Great album. Steep drop-off afterwards.

Fountains of Wayne - welcome interstate managers. Classic album, but the band crossed into self parody on subsequent albums

14. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

Ryan Adams-Ashes and Fire...
    His last two lps reek of 80's schlock...

15. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Hardwired to Self Destruct is a fantastic album, strongly recommend you give it a listen if you haven't.

16. Paul R

Paul R Forum Resident

It was all downhill after The Castiles :D

daveidmarx likes this.
  17. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Even though Nebraska may be my favorite Springsteen album, much of his other solo work doesn't do anything for me. Lyrically, the Tom Joad album is perhaps some of his best work, but it's deadly dull musically. I never really connected to Devils and Dust either.

18. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Rob Zombie --- Nothing after White Zombie

19. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Lots of folks here really missed some good albums.

20. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon. When they changed their U.S. record label they started recycling sounds from their earlier catalog. Since they had a lot of new fans from DSOM that never heard their earlier works it was all new to them. For me it was MEH.

21. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Good question.

For me, most that come to mind are caused by significant changes in the lineup:

Black Sabbath - Ozzie years
    Chicago - Kath years
    Alice Cooper - original band
    The Who - Moon years
    Elton John - w/ his classic band lineup

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  22. iwokeinrelief

iwokeinrelief Forum Resident

I agree with this. I enjoyed Nine Types of Light on my first listen, but have never made it through a re-listen; and I enjoyed the first 1 1/2 songs off Seeds but give up around song 5.

The first EP, and the first two albums, are some of the best things to come out of the '00s though, and Dear Science is great as well.

23. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I find Genesis' s/t album from 1983 very spotty indeed but it has its moments - Mama, Home By The Sea, That's All is a decent-ish pop song.

But after that, I'm out. From what I've heard of the next two studio albums, they are unlistenable.

Don't know Calling All Stations.

Spsesq likes this.
  24. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Some of the cut off dates listed above are very harsh.

Quitting Genesis after Gabriel's departure is just plain wrong....they became somewhat more musical when he left (and that's no district to PG, whose work I love).

Spsesq likes this.
  25. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

"Now That's What I Call Music Vol 37"

Jarleboy, segue and danasgoodstuff like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.