Pre-Dwight Twilley Band: Oister

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kentb47, Jun 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kentb47

kentb47 Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    OiSTER: 1973-74 Pre-Dwight Twilley Band archival 2LP set HZR-190 HoZac Archival #22
    The legendary 1973-74 ‘Teac Tapes’ from deep inside the Dwight Twilley Band vault have been unleashed, never before available in any format, OISTER was the primary name of the Dwight Twilley and Phil Seymour duo from the time they met in 1967 until the release of their Top 20 debut “hit” single for “I’m On Fire” in 1975. The two “halves” of the Oister formed a whole, and a tight friendship and performing partnership took flight, and with Dwight’s incredible songs in hand, the two were off an running. Recording at home with one of the first (commercially-available to the public) multi-track Teac home tape machines, the Oister DIY ethic was locked in early, and just exploded with an endless stream of ethereal pop magic, most of which has never been re-recorded by the Dwight Twilley Band, remaining frozen in time. The pair were cranking out an impressive amount of original material and pressing small batches of their own acetate LPs locally in Tulsa to sell to their friends at school, of which, this 2LP collection rounds up 20 of their finest tracks, finally available to the public after over 40 years.

The early, primal years of the Twilley/Seymour Oister-era are sadly undocumented until now, with this 20-track collection, freshly remastered from the original tape for vinyl for the first time anywhere, now on HoZac Archival. These songs seamlessly bridge those heavenly Everly Brothers harmonies with their beloved Anglo Pop bravado, yet keeping the sound undeniably definitive of early American Power Pop. Ghostly echoes slip through some of the delicate tracks like spirits in the night, while others crank up the juice and just ooze out that real, uncut rock’n roll, framing up their successful next incarnation as the Dwight Twilley Band. Featuring liner notes from their friend and biographer, Kent Benjamin, and a crisp mastering job, the Oister collection is the impossible missing link between the Sun Records snarl and the melodic prowess of the British Invasion’s finest songsmiths, and now it can finally be yours.

Recommended If You Like: Everly Brothers, Colin Blunstone/Zombies, Big Star, Hollies, Badfinger, Richard Twice, Nick Drake, Raspberries, Emmit Rhodes, Todd Rundgren

OFFICIAL Limited edition of 500 copies
    COMES WITH FREE DOWNLOAD

First 100 orders come WITH FREE PROMO POSTER (still a few left!)
    [​IMG]

Just a heads-up that this is out now. Sourced and mastered from Dwight Twilley's masters. First-time ever release, vinyl only with download cards. Package art by Zox (who once did most of the Shelter stuff). Liners by me with much help from Dwight and from the late, great Bill Pitcock IV. -- Kent

2. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

I've taken the plunge.

3. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Wow, thanks Kent. I never knew about this. Cool stuff!

4. CirculationUnderflow

CirculationUnderflow Well-Known Member

its a travesty this guy is virtually unknown, while Tom Petty is still selling out arenas.

ok maybe too harsh

DWight is the man with the best unheard of catalog ever

5. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

6. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

One wrote a bunch of hit songs, the other did not.

melstapler likes this.
  7. stephenlee

stephenlee Forum Resident

Very cool release! I just downloaded the album from Amazon and am listening to it as I type. I've had a bootleg tape copy for years -- many generations from the master, I'm sure; it's great to have it now in excellent quality!

8. SkeletonPete

SkeletonPete Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads-up. One of my all time favorite bands. I just had to grab the vinyl.

I was fortune enough to see them w/ Bill and Phil at the Bottom Line in NYC back in the mid-70's, and have burned holes through several copies of Sincerely, Twilley Don't Mind and Phil's solo LP's.

9. kentb47

Talked to Dwight this am and it looks like he will get ownership back of two of his albums (one unreleased) this year. Too early to discuss, but we hope to load them with bonus tracks if they can be found. Might be months before he gets the tapes back. Can't say more now.

I would hope you'll see both in 2018 at the latest.

10. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

Good news ,thanks for the information Kent. New Dwight and anything Twilley & Seymour is a good thing.

fr in sc likes this.
  11. badfingerjoe

Just checked Amazon...nothing listed under Dwight or Oister....has it been removed since stephenlee downloaded it?

12. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

I want this! How do I get it?

13. mrbobdobalina

Just ordered one off of Discogs -- there was one other copy available. Also seems to be available directly from Hozac Records

14. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Oooo, ordered! and I'll be all over any other new (old) releases.

Man, the samples sound even more fantastic than I expected. Can't wait for the album to arrive! Those Twilley and Phil photos are a trip, too.

15. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

16. mrbobdobalina

17. badfingerjoe

Could someone tell me if the intro is clipped on their version of "Sky Blue"? One of my favorites and all versions I've heard of this demo has the intro clipped. Thanks

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

There's only one review at Amazon that states:

This is an unsanctioned criminal release that should be taken down.​

Huh? Is this a bootleg or authorized by Twilley?

19. mrbobdobalina

I'm guessing that if the album is sourced and mastered from Twilley's tapes and that DT himself helped with the liner notes, it's probably legit.

20. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Since it was booted in the past, that person is probably just unaware that this one is an official release.

21. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

I saw Dwight when he played Detroit a couple of months back and I don't remember him or his wife saying any thing about this and they were selling hard.

22. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

Thanks for the tip! I'm in.

23. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Well, he's obviously going to market the merch that's on the table at a gig, but there's a link to the Oister pre-order on his Facebook page from April, so he's clearly in the loop. Sorry I missed that Detroit show; wish I could hit the Illinois one in August, but alas.

24. kentb47

Years ago there were a couple of CD boots made from mediocre cassette copies. This Hozac vinyl is a fully licensed, sanctioned release, I can assure you. Newly mastered (first time EVER to be mastered) from Dwight's orginals. That poster on Amazon is just misguided. Reckon he's (mistakenly) trying to protect Dwight. I can assure you that it sounds vastly better than the cassette Dwight send me long ago and that itself is very superior to the boots.

Yes, order direct from Hozac and you got a shot at the free poster. There's nothing on Amazon but an mp.3 download of the Hozac vinyl.

Joe, I just a/b'd the copies of Sky Blue (I have it from 3 Dwight sources) and all are just like that, not a pressing defect. I have a 2nd earlier demo of it that opens that way too. Maybe someday we can release the Shelter Robin Cable/England version It opens with a chord held for a bar then the intro you know. Got tons of Spectorish overdubs, too. Dwight doesn't have rights to everything cut for Shelter.

There's a super Sky Blue on the unrel. '79 Arista Blueprint LP, too. I know of I think six versions of Sky Blue (the Cable one is my favorite; wasn't on Sincerely purely bec. Dwight and Denny Cordell both preferred the Oister-produced demos in feel). In a perfect world, Shark would've been the follow-up to I'm on Fire (and a hit!) and the third single would have been Sky Blue. But that never happened, and would've been 3 Dwight lead vocals instead of one Dwight and two Phils that Shelter actually released (2nd You Were So Warm, 3rd was Could Be Love).

Oh, and the version of Sky Blue that our fine host Steve Hoffman perfected on The Great Lost Dwight Twilley Album? That is the 'final' mix that Dwight was at last happy with and would've been found on Blueprint.

25. badfingerjoe

Thanks for that information Kent...once again. I checked a few of the versions I have and they all have that clipped intro...."Sky Blue" is one of those great unknown tracks, I never tire of hearing it. I hope someday we can get the material as intended
    for the Arista Blueprint LP. I know some of the tracks have found their way onto different Cd's over the years but some are still unreleased IIRC.

Steve did a great job on those Dwight Twilley Cd's along with some informative liner notes on The Great Lost Twilley Album. Don't forget the alternate version of "Shark" issued on the Del Rack CD "Rock Yourself"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.