MFSL now doing 7 Bob Dylan titles in mono (hybrid SACD)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by agentalbert, Sep 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Yes, just got my shipping notice. Huzzah!

ssmith3046 likes this.
  2. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

I have them all on order...so it's not a huge deal, but you think that they would have had a more coordinated release for these discs instead of just trickling them out little by little...

3. Link, I'm only seeing the stereo version for $19.99

4. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Just pulled the trigger on the 4 available SACDs. Just to be sure, so far we have

Bob Dylan
    TTTAAC
    BIABH
    JWH

Correct?

5. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I can't say that I know how to read mono mixes in the same way that @nikosvault, does above. My reasons for not being that impressed with it feel less elevated or nuanced than his. I'm just not as impressed by the BIABH mfsl mono in the same way I was with the stereo. It does nothing extra for me at this stage, but I'm not even sure I know how to appreciate the mono mix of the album.

I wanted to ask – which do you think is a good CD version of the mono that we could compared it with?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  6. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I personally find there is not a rhyme or reason to what mono or stereo Dylan I will like, I just know it I suppose, and I am one that has a few that would be considered wrong, for example I like Freewheelin' in stereo, and I have been liking JWH in stereo more these days, but BIABH is one that has to be mono for me as it just hits me better that way plus I think it is one of the better mono mixes of his. I would guess for me the stereo BIABH sounds a little busy/twee for me, and the mono simply more direct and impactful; in fact sticking with your description I like it because it is more grounded, less elevated-- where that music fits for me. This is not to say you are wrong in liking BIABH in stereo, I can enjoy the mofi stereo; but yet over time I ended up regularly reaching for the only mono of this album that I know of on CD, the mono box; but while the mono box and the mofi BIABH mono are not vastly different, the mofi ends up being a nicer presentation-- but I doubt the mono box cd is going to change your opinion of the mix. If you are so inclined I'd stick with this mono for a bit, it might be a grower.

mr.datsun and Rob Hughes like this.
  7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member Thread Starter

That's right.

Joey_Corleone likes this.
  8. Lonson

Yes.

9. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

It is:
    BD (or S/T)
    TTTAAC
    BIABH
    JWH

:D

hoover537 likes this.
  10. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Thanks for the advice. I guess I like the extra sense of space that a stereo mix can give. I like 'Another Side Of Bob Dylan' which works well in mono – I guess being a fairly simple arrangement helps that sense of directness. It feels to me that BIABH is more complex studio album and benefits from the use of stereo. But I won't give up on the mono, as you suggest.

What I did think is that the mfsl stereo was a big improvement over what I thought was a harsher Sony/CBS stereo remaster. I'm not getting the idea this MFSL is such equal an improvement over the mono CD box.

11. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Well you have the better one, and I would say the improvements grew for me, but yes my initial impression was it was not as big a gain as the stereo to the 2003 CD, but then they are different animals the mono and 2003 SACD. I started here, and then had two posts below that to show the change in my impressions Bob Dylan SACD on MFSL: What's Next?

12. Joey_Corleone

My 4 mono SACD's arrived today. Strangely, they all have booklets except JWH. Anybody else?

13. Lonson

That's my experience as well.

Got to listen to both the Stereo and the Mono The Times they are A-Changin' SACDs from MoFi today; both are excellent.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  14. Lonson

I'm listening again to the Mono SACD.

Both the stereo and mono SACDs are mastered by Shawn, which creates a more level playing field in comparisons than another. I've always enjoyed the stereo of this recording more than I have of the previous two, and the SACD sounds wonderful. The rhythmic wonder of "Ballad of Hollis Brown" is really well captured on this, creating a mysterious vibe. The mono mix of this track is also great but with a brighter direct atmosphere. This sort of contrast between the ambiance of the stereo and the immediacy of the mono seems to define the two mixes for me. And I can have either, and either is a great experience of the album.

Edit to add: Tom Wilson was a very interesting producer.

George P and Tom Campbell like this.
  15. Joey_Corleone

Playing the self titled mono SACD now. As expected, MoFi nailed this one. Awesome sounding and thoroughly enjoyable. Transparent, warm, and a real "in the room" sound on my system!

I hope the others are as good, and I will definitely look forward to the 45rpm vinyl of this one too

teag likes this.
  16. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Looking forward to the Times mono. I have it on order in the UK. Always loved the mono vinyl although the differences are not as great as say the Freewheelin' mono and stereo lps. I love this album (being a grumpy old person who knows the world is a bad place). I have the original Mobile Fidelity vinyl from the 1980s (I think) which always sounded super. I just find it a well recorded album with a feel that runs throughout. The mono Sony versions from 2010 both vinyl and cd were excellent.

CBackley and Tommyboy like this.
  17. Joe Z

Joe Z Forum Resident

Any word if "Another side of Bob" is going to be reissued as part of this series?

18. Lonson

Yes, the only one of the releases up through "Highway 61 Revisited" not mentioned as an upcoming mono SACD is "Blonde on Blonde." "Another Side of Bob Dylan" can be pre-ordered.

bmoregnr likes this.
  19. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member Thread Starter

See the first post of this thread. It lists the seven titles announced as mono SACD's.

20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

For me the rule with Dylan mono is:

Dylan- sparce accompaniment (vocal, harmonica and acoustic guitar as main instrument)=mono for me.

Dylan-full electric band=stereo.

Doesnt mean I dont like to hear B on B and Highway in mono as a novelty. But Dylan with mainly acoustic guitar? Mono all the way.

21. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

You betcha.

Bob Dylan
    Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
    The Times They Are A-Changin'
    Another Side Of Bob Dylan
    Bringing It All Back Home
    Highway 61 Revisited
    John Wesley Harding

22. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

Could I ask, is there any place recommended for Canadian members?
    I checked Music Direct, Acoustic Sounds and MOFI direct and they all charge over $30US for shipping alone.
    Which is more than the discs themselves, plus exchange is a real ouch.
    Amazon.ca is $50 and may be my best option.
    All suggestions appreciated.

23. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

It is tough here. You can try Import CD. They don't always have everything, but shipping charges more reasonable for Canada.

24. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

Thanks, shall do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.