McCartney, Wings & "WILD LIFE" POLL:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Jun 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Right, Abbey Road..."Man We Was Lonely" wasn't a home recording? What about "Junk"/"Singalong Junk"- "Singalong" sounds a little too 'slick' (for lack of a better term) to be a home recording...

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  2. oh1

oh1 Forum Resident

Adore the album. Certainly my favourite McCartney post Beatles album and a absolute vocal peak.
    Some People Never Know , Mumbo with Tomorrow, Dear friend and the title track making up the five I voted for. That's probably 75% of it's running time. I would take that success rate with any album.

3. slane

slane Forum Resident

Home recordings, overdubbed at Morgan.

Apart from the three EMI tracks, Hot As Sun and Kreen Akrore are the only other tracks done completely at a proper studio (Morgan for those).

4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Along with Band On The Run my favourite Fab Macca albums.

Mazzy and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

It's kind of pleasant and nostalgic; it doesn't sound as bad as it did when originally released. It helps that you don't have to hear it as Paul's entry in a field with albums like Exile on Main Street, Imagine, The Concert for Bangla Desh, Who's Next, Paul Simon's debut, Layla and so forth. Obviously, it doesn't stand a chance.

But even listened to on a standalone basis, it seems extremely weak. Most of the songs (other than "Love is Strange") are somewhat tuneless and go on for way too long, and I don't think there's anything deep hidden in the lyrics. I mean, maybe "Dear Friend" is about John, but other than the title, I don't find anything particularly moving about it. The non-album singles from the era (Mary and Give Ireland Back) tell the story - he had a major case of writer's block. It took him a year or so (the Hi Hi Hi/C Moon single) to finally break out of it. Anyway, I voted for "Tomorrow", which I think is OK.

6. ohnothimagen

Cool. "Kreen Akrore" was studio, eh? Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who actually likes that song, I like Paul's guitar playing on it. Actually, now that I think about it, his guitar playing on "Mumbo" is sort of reminiscent of "Kreen Akrore", double tracking and all...

7. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

Good point. I think Paul wasn't looking to out do any other artist album. He already did that as a fab. McCartney 1 through Wild Life Paulie was looking to get his feet wet in the solo artist arena.

His competitive juices would flow more competitively on his BOTR album and through out super 70's.

Love all first 3 McCartney albums.

8. Psychedelic Good Trip

There now is for (# 9 NONE OF THE ABOVE) choice. :edthumbs:

alexpop likes this.
  9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I think that whereas Wild Life still sounds weak, McCartney I and Ram (although similarly low key affairs) have aged well, primarily because the songwriting is better.

10. Psychedelic Good Trip

Agreed. They have aged well. The first three McCartney albums are almost always after thoughts compared to his later Wings material. Shows you how Paul was clicking away on creativity throughout the 1970's.

11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Always prepared just in case. :)

12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Can we get an "all of the above" too?

13. Psychedelic Good Trip

Didn't think of that. We'll I guess everyone will have to work hard and manually check their selections. ;)

14. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Doesn't make the same statement. The none-of-the-abovers could have just not voted if they didn't care to make a statement.

15. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

A nice Wings live 1972 pic....RIP Henry!!!

[​IMG]

16. Psychedelic Good Trip

Thanks for sharing.:righton:

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  17. ohnothimagen

What song are they playing, anybody know? I didn't think Paul played electric guitar onstage at point in his solo career...

18. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

It looks like he's playing an E chord if that helps narrow it down a bit :)

19. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I choose "Some People..", 'coz, I think it's about John!

20. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

If my source is correct, this picture is from the show In Arles. Since Paul and Henry look like they're playing E's and Paul is up at the mic, then we can assume the following songs...

Bip Bop
    Smile Away
    Blue Moon of Kentucky
    Best Friend
    I Am Your Singer
    Hi Hi Hi

But wait, if it's an Em they're playing then it could be the following songs...

The Mess
    I Would Only Smile

So we've narrowed it down a little bit more now :)

21. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

:D That's awesome!!! :)

22. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

My suspicion - and this is just a guess - is that it's "Bip Bop." Paul plays electric guitar on the studio recording, and that's definitely one of those little licks that comes easily to him but can be a bit of a challenge to play just like him. I could see him switching up with Denny on that one.

23. I wouldn't ever call it one of his best albums but it has its moments. I always think of this kind of like Paul's primal scream album because the emotions in Wild Life, Dear Friend and Tomorrow are pretty direct.

24. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

Came across this. Good fun!

25. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Now that's a clip guaranteed to put a smile on your face. Fab!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.