Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Flowers In The Dirt*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Murdock, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Heck I am already looking forward to hopefully the next Archives of "Wild Life"/"Red Rose Speedway"!

[​IMG]

2. Wingsfan2012

What a great spring/summer it has been.............very expensive too..........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TheMovieRad, theMess, Eska68 and 8 others like this.
  3. supermd

supermd Senior Member

That would be my #1 choice for the next release (specifically Red Rose Speedway).

4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

If Paul opens up the concerts of his upcoming USA tour with "Big Barn Bed" or "Mumbo", then I'd say it's a done deal. Otherwise, I'm not betting on it. ;)

5. Wingsfan2012

It is sad that "Big Barn Bed" was a popular sound check song a few years ago and even made "Pure McCartney" but that is as far as it got......

6. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Not too many options for uke songs for soundcheck - "Ram On", "Big Barn Bed", repeat "Something" ... or?

theMess and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  7. Wingsfan2012

"Dance Tonight"-10 years old this year!

8. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

"Dance Tonight" is a mandolin song, though, not a uke song.

9. Wingsfan2012

In 75 years, Macca has learned to adapt and be quite a musical chap.........:righton:

10. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Saw Henry McCullough do it a couple of times live and it was brilliant. What a nice guy he was, always hoped that Macca would reissue RRS while HM was still around and ill so he potentially got some income from it.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  11. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

He used to do Leaning on a Lamppost on uke during soundcheck too

Wingsfan2012 and SixOClockBoos like this.
  12. Joao Carlos

Joao Carlos Forum Resident

Still waiting for my Super Deluxe boxset. Can't wait

13. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Another "Sticking Out Of My Bakc Pocket". This time it is on "That Day Is Done". I would have rather have it be a track from the album that wasn't-write with Elvis, but that seems like the main driving pointind sales of this Archive Collection. Hope there are one or two mofrom tracks on this album that aren't co-writes (but knowing them, there will be one next week on "You Want Her Too").

Also, apparently the song has been compared to "Let Me Roll It" although the two sound nothing alike... what this comparision might be or has the writer of this smoked some 'English Tea' before writing...

Sticking Out Of My Back Pocket: ‘That Day Is Done'

14. Wingsfan2012

I would think maybe a small "sales" push by MPL/Capitol as a Father's Day gift idea for those who already have the new "Sgt Pepper" box......:righton:

15. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

So I just received the 2CD edition - the deluxe will wait a little bit longer to appear in my mailbox - and listened to the main album for the first time in quite a long time (I've listened to several of the individual tracks but not to the full album). My takeaways:

My Brave Face - listening to it now it doesn't really scream single material, it's awfully wordy (very similar in that respect to another Costello co-write, "Back on My Feet"). Good song though.
    Rough Ride - it is. Meh.
    You Want Her Too - the jazzy bits seem like a different track altogether. Good track, but the album isn't off to a real kickstart.
    Distractions - finally. This has always been one of my favourite tracks, and it really elevates an album that's been puttering along thus far. Obviously the best track so far (and I hope you don't mind me spoiling the surprise, none of the tracks hereafter will take over that title). Really wonderful lyrics as well.
    We Got Married - another great track. The Gilmour guitar workout is easy to spot. I think this might be the only track in McCartney's oeuvre with this structure - the slow boil building and building towards the end with an instrumental "crescendo", as it were. Reminds me of Dire Straits' "On Every Street" and Zep's "Stairway to Heaven" in that respect.
    Put It There - continuing the magic streak here with a lovely acoustic tune.
    Figure of Eight - hasn't aged all that well, unfortunately. I like how it ends though. :) We'll see what I think when I listen to the re-recorded single version some time in the future.
    This One - a big single track that is just a little bit too over-cooked. Still a highlight.
    Don't Be Careless Love - a good pot-boiler to keep the album stewing along. A keeper.
    That Day Is Done - possible unpopular view coming now, sorry. The song is quite excellent, the recording is crap. It really plods along in the verses. I'm looking forward to hearing the different demo versions to see if they work better.
    How Many People - possible unpopular view coming now, sorry, part II. I actually had fun listening to this song. It may be that most people's dislike of this song stems from the lyrics, and if so, I wouldn't know. I don't really care about those. This might be the best reggae attempt Paul has made.
    Motor of Love - this is the nadir of the record (in competition with "Rough Ride"). The chorus melody could have worked with another song, but everything else lets it down: the verses, the production, the arrangement. And no, I definitely can't see what's so good about the middle eight. Well, possibly that it's really short, as opposed to the song itself.
    Ou Est Le Soleil - fun! A needed pick-me-up after the lengthy dross. Not a song to be taken seriously, of course, but good for what it is.

Rob Hughes, Oyster Boy and OobuJoobu like this.
  16. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I can tick off 9 out of 13 descriptions as pretty much matching my own, not a bad percentage!

The songs where I would think differently are My Brave Face (Classic Macca single!), Rough Ride (a nice groove), Figure Of Eight (always been a favourite), Don't Be Careless Love (The first 45 seconds ruins it for me, irrepairable damage done).

:righton:

cmi and Oyster Boy like this.
  17. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Agree, I am virtually on the same page, apart from I really like DBCL. TDID I also really like and don't have issues with the recording (maybe I just get caught up in the emotional side too much). Still having a Macca dominated summer myself, FITD still exciting me more than anything else. On my ongoing quest to collect the Macca CD singles (since download gate) I was waiting for a pristine OUALA on eBay, Amazon or Discogs at a reasonable price. Anyhow bagged a mint copy from Amazon market place a couple of weeks ago for about £20. It even has the original inner sleeve in as new condition which I swapped for a Japanese inner to keep it pristine. It was from Unknown Pleasures in Edinburgh.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    OobuJoobu likes this.
  18. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

"C'Mon People" comes to mind. It's got a very big build as well, which may be why Paul wanted it in the set list for 1993.
    "Peace In The Neighbourhood" falls absolutely flat trying to reach that as well.

theMess likes this.
  19. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Uh, Hey Jude?

No More Lonely Nights
    However Absurd

20. christian42

Might be, I haven't listened to either of those tracks in quite a long time, none are particular favourites (the latter is one of my least favourite songs of Paul's overall). We'll see once there is a deluxe edition of OTG. :)

Hey Jude is a Beatles track, so gets disqualified on account of that. (Beatles also had "I Want You" as another example of this structure.)

NMLN does qualify. I haven't actually paid much attention to the structure of that song, but thinking back on it now I'd agree.

However Absurd probably qualifies as well. I can't quite hear it in my head right now, but I have a vague feeling that it should be similar in structure.

Frank likes this.
  21. christian42

Well, we can probably form a support group then, being the only two to not completely :love: "That Day is Done".

22. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Same guy LOL.

23. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

What seems to be the less expensive option for the Super Deluxe edition?

24. Wingsfan2012

It is funny but with the "Flowers" remastering, no complaints on here about brickwalling or "loudness"......not unlike the "Pepper 50" remix...

I know "Flowers" wasn't remixed but to me the remastering makes the album a little louder and "brighter" and I am fine with that.

All of the Archive collection remasters have IMHO improved my enjoyment of each album! I think this is part of the reason so many of us want it to continue!

25. Wingsfan2012

Get the 2 CD sets of each if the boxes are too much $$$

Even though recently Amazon US had the uber expensive RAM and Wings Over America boxes both for below $100.00 now.....

A well respected man likes this.