Roger Waters 'Us + Them' Tour 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. floyd

floyd Senior Member

I got tickets for my wife and I to one of the Chicago way back when they went on sale last October I think it was. Some time later a Milwaukee show (closer to my location) was added I tried to get some to see that show but was not happy with what was coming up in my price range even buying right as they went on sale so I decided one show was fine.

I talked to some of my sons last week about possibly going and they wanted to go so I decided to try for another 4 seats, me and 3 sons. I had to go for some cheaper seats (putting kids through college isn't cheap) and found 4 of the $72 tickets (with TicketMaster charges $90) third row of the upper ring on the side. The next morning I was showing one of the boys where the seats are and see that 4 seats opened up two sections closer to the stage that were the night before "silver-package seats" selling at $199(+ charges) now they were $72 (+ charges) same price as I just bought. A bit frustrating but we will still have a good time I am sure.

Mr. E. Tramp and rontoon like this.
  2. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

Going to Tacoma this Saturday and Portland on Sunday. Will be the 5th and 6th time seeing Rog, and am glad to get a couple more (last?) chances. Most stoked for the new stuff and the Animals material.

Also, hoping to hear Jonathan Wilson rip some solos since he didn't get to let loose on the new album. He's got a cool style that reminds me of Gilmour at times (and Jerry Garcia). Is it mostly Kilminster that takes the solos, or do they switch it up?

Joey Waronker on drums is a great choice too; he was always stellar with Beck live and gives a great performance on the new record.

Was really hoping for "Fearless" after seeing that was on the Desert Trip setlists, that alone would've been worth the price. But I'll be happy with whatever "bones" Roger throws my way.

3. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Exactly. I saw him 4 times. Unfortunately, never with The Floyd.

If this happens again, maybe he will dance a jig.

Aggie87 likes this.
  4. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

I haven't bought tickets yet and am leaning towards not doing so. I love Waters, love Floyd (especially Animals and The Wall), agree with his politics, love ATD, love In The Flesh DVD, and have seen him live 3 times (once during The Dark Side OF The Moon Live Tour and twice during The Wall tour) and loved the shows but I have to admit, knowing now about the lip-synching is bothering me a bit. Plus, so far, I'm not a big fan of the new album and even though he may not be playing much of it live anyway, I've seen him play most of the standard Pink Floyd and ATD stuff live (or on DVD) so I'm still leaning towards not going. Had I not seen him in 2007 (or have the In The Flesh DVD) though, I'd go in a heartbeat.

tumbledweeb likes this.
  5. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Umm, that same thing happened to me once and Ticketmaster were more than happy to change the seats for no added cost... Why don't you give them a call?

6. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Has anyone done any comprehensive research into the lip-synching issue, e.g. comparing vocals from different nights? Or is the "Another Brick in the Wall" mishap the only evidence we have?

7. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Ah. Thanks for the advice. I looked on line and now the 4 seats that flipped from "sliver package" to normal are gone. I will keep my eye open though.

8. mr._mojo_filter

mr._mojo_filter Forum Resident

[​IMG][​IMG]

I just got home from Roger's second show in L.A. It's a sonic treat and a visual stunner, but my only complaint was the use of the Battersea Power Station prop and lowering it in the middle of the arena.

Sure, it looked cool, but, from my vantage point, it partially blocked the view of the stage.

I purposefully got a seat far back to see the visuals of Roger's show (since I had seen him at Desert Trip).

Maybe there was a staging issue with putting this prop on the main stage that I'm not privy to, but that's the only flaw in an otherwise awesome show.

9. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

Just got back from the second show in LA! This was my first time seeing Roger and It was just amazing! @mr._mojo_filter I can see your complaint. But during that I noticed the the big screen in the back was split so you could see the visuals. I was in the 3rd level stage right and I had a massive speaker in my way blocking the middle of the screen behind the band. I don't think Stapels Center was built for such a massive show that it Roger waters. Would have rather been at The Rose Bowl or Dodger Stadium but oh well.

Hot Ptah and azjvm05 like this.
  10. tumbledweeb

tumbledweeb Forum Resident

Wow that's pretty embarrassing! Why would he even put himself in that position, I mean is his voice really that shot? I remember a few years back I saw Ray Davies and throughly enjoyed it even though his voice had obviously seen better days but I knew that going in and I saw and heard the real deal. I'm surprised he'd put himself up there like that.

11. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Some of us think it's a reasonably in sync Roger chewing gum onstage most of the show.

Max Florian likes this.
  12. SoundAdvice

Shows are long with many back to back nights he wouldn't otherwise be able to do.

Plus if the tone-deaf claims are true you might end up with something otherwise sounding like a bad Ozzy Osbourne gig.

13. They Call Me M

They Call Me M Wall History Nerd

Seeing him in Dallas in a week or so. I love the new album and can't wait for this show!

Zeki likes this.
  14. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

Tonight in Tacoma, pigs will fly!

So many tickets still left for Portland tomorrow, they really biffed it by announcing that show months after the initial dates. Most of the Portland fans blew their wads on the Tacoma gig. I bet they were considering a second US leg like he's done in the past, and then bailed on the idea adding secondary markets on this go round. They'll need good "day of" sales to sell out the Moda Center.

15. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

I saw the show in Tacoma and it was better than I expected. I didn't know that Lucius were doing vocals at the show til I got there. They put their own unexpected spin on Great Gig...
    Probably not to the taste of most Floyd fans, but here's a clip of Lucius:

PS: I didn't notice Rog lipsyncing, but I wasn't looking too hard. Ace band for sure!

Hot Ptah, Zeki and Rekkerds like this.
  16. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Saw Portland last night. It's true he didn't play on Comfortably Numb ~ he made it the occasion to go into the audience and shake farewell hands (I was indeed hoping he'd strap on for the final jam) ~ but it was one of the only songs where that happened. He was indisputably the bass player throughout the night, moreso than I'd dared to hope, and his playing was showcased on several occasions. Those classic high bass notes at the beginning of Pigs, whose finale he totally rocked out on. And what a thrill to see him manually play the tick-tock through the whole intro of Time ~ given that trick goes all the way back to Interstellar Overdrive. For me, his bass owned Money and One of These Days. I had no qualms with his musical presence, and he even sang a few Gilmour slots -- very emotional to hear his rendition of Wish You Were Here. I do wish he'd sung Us and Them, but once again his bass underpinning is classic. The nerd in me when back to 1970 and The Violent Sequence.

I know what you mean about the "cover band" thing, which is kind of unavoidable. But for the majority of the show, his presence elevated it to something deeper. I'll be posting more of my thoughts, I'm pretty blown away the next day. Can't believe I got to see him sing those lines in Dogs and Pigs ~ as poignant as just about any concert moments I've experienced.

Hot Ptah, Jack_Straw and Zeki like this.
  17. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I get why people would be upset about lip syncing, and pre-recorded music in general , being used at a live rock concert. Is anyone else bothered by how much pre-recorded music is used, and has been used, at U2 shows for years? Or Coldplay? Or Muse?
    My point being this has been going on for a long time. In the pop world, especially with the lip syncing, they get called out on it regularly. The fans don't seem to care. Same here. But when you're shelling out mucho denero to see these guys, it just leaves a bitter taste. And I've seen Roger live, before he was resorting to backing tracks (...as far as I can tell). The music seems to override everything, the spectacle of it all, and that's why I go (although not this time-too broke).

Hot Ptah likes this.
  18. SoundAdvice

I'm only aware of Roger and Def Leppard regularly using pre-recorded LEAD vocal on multiple songs at each show when it comes to rock shows at an arena level.

keyXVII likes this.
  19. anth67

I can't agree in this case. "Pigs (Three Different Ones)" was always directly political, and if Trump doesn't embody exactly what Waters is railing against in that song and "Dogs" I don't know who does. I think it's perfectly appropriate for him to resurrect these songs for this moment. Even if you don't agree with his politics, they should be no surprise.

I remember reading all the negative responses to the politics on CSNY's Y2K tour. Really? Whose concert did they think they were seeing? What did they think "Almost Cut My Hair" and "Immigration Man" and "Chicago" and "Ohio" and "Military Madness" were about?

For many artists (including actors), I'd agree with you. But not Waters, not while he's singing Animals.

20. Splungeworthy

My point wasn't that those other bands are augmenting vocals (maybe some background vocals...), just the plethora of other sounds you're hearing.

21. SoundAdvice

I probably agree with Roger's US politics, but find the VISUALS incredibly juvenile and also very poorly articulated.

You are probably thinking of the 2006 CSNY tour where Neil was in his "let's impeach the president" phase. Much different that isolated incidents in the early 70's.

22. SoundAdvice

Miming lead vocals is a far greater sin that backing tracks with secondary instruments.

Plus Roger is pretending to do something he is not, where U2 and Muse have you hear what the 3-4 members are doing. U2 has Terry Lawless under the stage doing most of the extra stuff live.

Stormrider77 and tumbledweeb like this.
  23. Splungeworthy

Clearly, because you never hear about it. Bands and artists of this stature are always going to get a pass on this. It's just my particular bugaboo.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  24. anth67

Fair enough. I thought they were fun, but point taken.

Probably is the 2006 I was thinking of. But I stand by my point, that this is who these guys are. I'd respect them less (Roger, too) if they simply made sentimental sing-alongs of their protest songs.

Zeki likes this.
  25. anth67

I was totally imagining last night how much I'd lose it if he went into "Free Four." Then again, I couldn't have lost it any more than I did for the "Dogs" finale : )

mr._mojo_filter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.