Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

So if 8 discs is correct, with probably video it could be:
    2×dvd Live (possibly Buffalo 1980 as was stated up-thread ).
    2×CD Live audio same show
    4xCD studio outtakes 79-81.

Carserguev, Sean and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  2. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I'm in for the deluxe set if there is indeed one. I can't imagine that there will be another mammoth set like the Cutting Edge blue box, which was basically a copyright extension set, since none of the Gospel Era recordings are in danger of falling out of copyright anytime soon.

3. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Don't see why a DVD of a concert would need to be on 2 discs??

4. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

Occasionally they will include a DVD and a Blu-ray of mostly the same content.

5. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I wouldn't mind the live CDs being from a different show. After all, it would be easy to rip the audio from the DVD.

I think it's possible that we could get some stray live cuts too.

Meanwhile, some artists make separate sets with EITHER a DVD or BD. And some still just stick to DVD.

6. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Did Dylan shoot any of his 79-81 concerts on film? That's a reason why there might be a Blu-ray disc.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  7. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

In a just world that would be the subtitle of this collection.

8. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I would hope that the live audio would not be limited to a single show. An extended 2-3 CD live album would be great.

9. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Would love to have more, but just being greedy. I suspect The Retrospective Tour (1980), which has its own distinct flavour, and some unique performances, will get pushed out of this particular package by the more "gospelly" tours.

10. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

You may be right. Assuming they don't include Blu-ray, it could rather be:

1xdvd Live Buffalo 1980
    2xCD Live gospel tour different show (Toronto 1980 or preferably SF Warfield 1979).
    2xCD Live 1981 (what shows exist as multitracks?)
    3xCD studio outtakes (+ stray live tracks)

Think I'd prefer this as I feel the live stuff is where this period really gets its due.

Sean, matt79rome89 and windfall like this.
  11. It has long been my understanding that ALL 1981 shows were recorded by Columbia on multi-track, including of course the outstanding London Earls Court shows.

12. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

I have been slightly out of the loop with this, but this appears to correspond with the proposal for this set that I was made aware of some time ago.

If the tracks are the same, then it includes the live version of 'Carribean Wind' from the soundboard. It is correct that a lot of the studio stuff is previously unheard.

13. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Please share whatever you can. At this point, 8 discs sounds perfect and while they will always leave off something that we really want the number of discs this time around seems like it will satisfy most.

Personally, I need a few versions of Caribbean wind, yonder comes sin, studio versions of live songs we know, and trouble in mind. The latter is released on the excellent pure Dylan release but it needs a proper home on bs 13. If they satisfy this short list of tracks, I'm extremely satisfied.

Sean Murdock and DeeThomaz like this.
  14. Tim Müller

Tim Müller Forum Resident

Hello,

may I kindly ask, where it was discussed?

Thank you!

15. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

My thoughts exactly. I'm open to a few different overall approaches, but the material you outline is essential.

Compelling alternates of "Groom Still Waiting At The Altar, "Angelina," and "Every Grain Of Sand" would also be very welcome.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  16. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

'Ain't No Man Righteous (No Not One)' :righton:

DeeThomaz likes this.
  17. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

This is something the reports so far have promised. Aside from "Ain't No Man Righteous (No Not One)", are there any other documented studio renditions of familiar live songs from the period? No others come to mind but I haven't double checked Krogsgaard yet. Not that I have anything against happy surprises. And as I recall, the studio records are incomplete for this era.

EDIT: Well, there is a rehearsal of "Let's Keep It Between Us." Warrants inclusion, I think.

Rickchick likes this.
  18. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Hoping, as has been the case thus far, that there is a nice 2 or 3 disc distillation. I've rarely got the budget for the pricey super deluxe boxes, nor am I that huge of a Dylanologist. I did, of course, make an exception for the Complete Basement Tapes box.

bobcat, George P and DeeThomaz like this.
  19. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

This has the opportunity, for me, to be the most monumental Dylan archival release in ages.

Let's compare:
    10. Witmark demos (rel. 2010): Just not that great sonically (which is no surprise and not the fault of Dylan's people, considering the source material), and much of it already circulating. A few otherwise-unreleased songs, but they're pretty slight.
    00. Copyright Extension 1962 (rel. 2012): Freewheelin' Outtakes are awesome, but I believe there are a few things missing, including radio performances etc. (Plus, I'd love a Copyright Extension 1959-1961, so the whole story could be told in best-possible sound quality.)
    11. ASP (rel. 2013): Really good, but it was murky conceptually. Self Portrait material, yes, but also material from sessions for Basement Tapes, Nashville Skyline, New Morning, GHv2, Live at Isle of Wight (but nothing from "Dylan '73," which is obviously the more direct sibling of Self Portrait). Personally, I think they screwed up this release and could have taken better approaches.
    00. Copyright Extension 1963 (rel. 2013): Only included previously circulating material, so we really don't hear the whole story with this year yet.
    12. Basement Tapes (rel. 2014): Probably my all-time favorite Bootleg Series, but most of this material was already circulating. Still, for me, this is the gold standard for Dylan archival material.
    00. Copyright Extension 1964 (rel. 2014): Really good, and some nice uncirculating material, but obviously some of those tapes can only sound so good.
    13. Cutting Edge (rel. 2015): My biggest complaint is that they screwed up the pricing structure with this. But even if the complete set had been more ready available, the sessions didn't reveal any previously unheard songs, and only a few drastic re-writes or re-arrangements. I love it, and I thank our stars it exists, but artistically it doesn't add much to the canon in total.
    13a. Copyright Extension 1965 (rel. 2015): MP3 only? curse them. Really good and generous though.
    13b. Live '66 (rel. 2016): Again, I love it, but there are only minor differences night to night, on a tour that already had much material in circulation.

Contrast:
    14. Gospel Years (slated for 2017): Possibly 2-3 discs chock full of studio material, much of it unheard? The possibility of Dylan compositions that we've never even heard of? New, professional, modern mixes of previously circulating live material? (for the record, I really trust the people working on mixing/mastering Dylan's archival material these days and respect their ears). And add to it that Dylan was on fire as a performer during the era -- an era that continues to see historical reassessment. Conclusion: This could really be something.

bobcat, Sean, stewedandkeefed and 6 others like this.
  20. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

It's funny, Another Self Portrait was so exciting upon release, as it ushered in a new age of the Bootleg Series. And yet now, compared to subsequent releases, it pales. If they were to make a set based on the same era today, I'm sure it would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 discs (and a remaster of Self Portrait wouldn't be one of those discs!)

SteveM likes this.
  21. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

I still find "Another Self Portrait" to be a really high quality, awesome release. I really enjoy it every time I pull it out. I am always particularly stunned by Bob's unreleased versions of "Thirsty Boots" and "Spanish is a Loving Tongue", just WOW

JL6161, Sean, hbbfam and 7 others like this.
  22. Frank205

Frank205 Forum Resident

I would rather see 74 to 76 planet Waves blood on the tracks and desire .and blood on the tracks . And material from blood on the tapes.

23. Frank205

Frank205 Forum Resident

I know some of this Era had some outtakes on the first bootleg series 1-3.

24. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

I'm curious -- why do you say it ushered in a new era of Bootleg series? In my opinion, it's very much in the spirit of Tell Tale Signs. (I do prefer TTS though).

Carserguev and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  25. Interesting analysis...a few comments. I agree that ASP - for all its obvious attractions, could have been better conceived conceptually. Personally, I would have liked to see a "sessions-type" approach in chronologically recorded order, beginning with Nashville Skyline and collecting all the disparate 1971 material. With the success of the more recent large '66 boxes, maybe in retrospect a larger, more expansive set would have been warranted.

Personally, I love the '62 copyright extension set, but find '63 and '64 a bit superfluous.

Regarding the Basements, even with much of it already circulating, the fact that most of that material appears here in vastly improved fidelity justifies the set on its own. And the inclusion of much excellent previously uncirculating material from the 'post-Levon rejoining the band' period is a real boon. However, even with the improved fidelity, I feel that more work could have been done to make the sonics even better. For the most part, it feels like they simply folded the two 'wide' tracks together to different degrees and left it at that. Some tonal adjustments would have helped bring further clarity and improved the overall listening experience (Garth's subsequently released mono 'acetate' version remains the gold standard for how the audio should sound for the tracks that it includes).

No complaints at all about Cutting Edge or Live '66 - sonically and conceptually practically faultless.