New Prince: 4Ever (2016) & Purple Rain Deluxe (2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BlueGangsta, Oct 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

Thing is, they put God (Love Theme from Purple Rain) on the singles/b-sides disk, which is where it belongs. But it does have the appeal of an outtake since it has never been released on CD before and never in the US at all.
    So, DVD notwithstanding, everyone needs the deluxe version. :D

2. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

The 3-CDs/DVD Deluxe Set is only $25. Except for the crappy packaging with CDs stuffed in cardboard slots, this is Deluxe Edition at that price($25) is a no brainer to me. I would rather pay an extra $5-$8 to have the CDs in snap cases and hardback book.

What I do not understand is why the Black Vinyl is being reissued(think ReMastered by BG), and while I know that BG Mastered the '1999' Reissue a few years back, KG did the Remaster for 'Purple Rain', so what is the need to have the Black Vinyl put out again? I guess the Picture Disc is more of a novelty(since from what I read on this Forum, most Picture Discs are bad for sound(except people, who bought the 2017 RSD CURE Greatest Hits & Acoustic GH on Picture Discs, mentioned those sounded pretty good).

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Because it's a new remaster by Prince

azjvm05 likes this.
  4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

This post makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Max Florian likes this.
  5. whatprogress

whatprogress Cowbell Enthusiast

Really a shame that the new remaster isn't being offered on purple vinyl.

There's still no word on which mastering the picture disc will use, only that is not the new remaster by Prince. For all appearances, it appears to be a straight repress of the 1984 Mexican picture disc.

Here's a thought: wouldn't it be a riot if the picture disc turns out to be sourced from a needledrop of the aforementioned 1984 Mexican picture disc?

6. zaza_3121

zaza_3121 Forum Resident

It leaked.

As expected, the sound has been compressed, but the material is oh so good!

Wonderfull Ass hi-hats are so trebly, it's really painful while listening with the headphones..

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  7. HanowarHAIL

HanowarHAIL Forum Resident

Can someone post DR numbers of the Purple Rain Deluxe set? My copy should arrive on Friday from Amazon.

8. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

9. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

10. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

It's got 2 sides and they both friends.

11. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident Thread Starter

If the leak is the final product, there's drop-outs and bad sounds everywhere. Erotic City, Dance Electric, Computer Blue... And holy noise reduction, Batman!

The album itself, while compressed, has a lot more clarity than previous versions.

EDIT: Oh FFS! Wonderful Ass is the 1986 version.

This is worse than even I predicted.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    CBackley likes this.
  12. DumbMagician

DumbMagician Forum Resident

@BlueGangsta Didn't the Prince collector guy you quoted a while ago say s/he preferred the 86 version of WA?

13. BlueGangsta

Yes.

14. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I'm glad I have Box o' Chocolates to supplement this. :)

john fisher likes this.
  15. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

It is better than anything before it, but it doesn't seem to be the best. Noise reduction seems a little more severe than I had expected.

Klen7000 likes this.
  16. Grant

Noise reduction? How do you figure that?

17. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Are you referring to the album proper?

I'm sure the leaked version is accurate, but maybe people should specify whether or not they are listening to the actual discs (and if not, MP3, flat, etc)

18. 007james

007james Forum Resident

My real interest is in the DVD concert, I hope that is watchable , find out Friday .......

19. BlueGangsta

From all reports I've heard, the sound is better (it was remixed...) but the video is no better than the bootlegs circulating.

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The Syracuse show always looked like crap. It's so dark - there's not much chicken salad to be made from that chicken sh-t! :D

bataclan2002 likes this.
  21. BlueGangsta

Thus why they should have used the Capitol Theatre show where the IWD4U/ BIAS videos came from. That looks glorious.

CBackley likes this.
  22. Kicker55

Kicker55 Forum Resident

I agree. We are only two days away from being able to evaluate sound based on the official, physical release. No reason to get too excited one way or another over leaked digital copy of unknown origin.

23. Grant

Remixed? Hmmmm...

24. zaza_3121

zaza_3121 Forum Resident

My TT DR Meter shows me that the album itself is mostly DR5 and DR6. Thankfully, the second disc with the outtakes is generally DR8 or DR9. The third disc DR8 and there are even some DR10's!
    Horribly overpeaked, though..

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    HanowarHAIL likes this.
  25. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Hi guys, since the release is about to happen, I started a new thread for the "Purple Rain" Deluxe Edition. I think it deserves its own thread to discuss the actual release.

Please post your thoughts here Prince - Purple Rain Deluxe Edition 2017, so those interested don't have to go through 66 pages of speculations and discussions of "4Ever".

Thanks.

rednax likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.