Gene Clark SACD of unreleased recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PeteH, Apr 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dok

Dok Senior Member

I also ordered during that time with the intent of getting the sampler. No email in my inbox like the above so far. :shake:

2. E.Jonker

E.Jonker Well-Known Member

Eighteen months on...no vinyl, no DVD, no emails and no response to my email :-(
    It's good to see Indigo received hers, maybe it's a sign of things to come!

indigo_m likes this.
  3. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

No vinyl or DVD here in the UK either - I've not given up hope though, I got both my CDs ok.

I NEED that Hinshaw mix of my favourite GC song ever - In A Misty Morning....

picassoson, E.Jonker and indigo_m like this.
  4. kyodo_dom

kyodo_dom Forum Resident

If it's any consolation, I'm in the same boat. The weird thing about the emails is that some I get, and some I don't, and I check all my junk/spam mailboxes, too. I did write to John a week or so ago, and got a reply several days later. Given how long I've waited I don't mind waiting some more, but I just wanted to check I was actually on the mailing list...turned out I was.

Still, it's great to hear that some folk have finally started to get their packages and that the DVD sounds boss.

indigo_m and E.Jonker like this.
  5. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I received notification that I should be getting a shipping notification soon.

indigo_m, E.Jonker and nancybrooke like this.
  6. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I learned the hard way as a commercial artist always to quote a timeline about twice what you think something should take to get done. Also in retail if a shipment is expected you tell people a day past then, any customer that has asked about any part of it you put some of it aside for one day just in case.

Hopefully in time all that remains is the beauty of the items and not the hard feelings or stress.

7. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Vinyl arrived today with the certificate. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. I don't have a turntable and had planned to keep the vinyl sealed for posterity or as a gift down the road. Problem is, and I'm guessing since I haven't opened it, that the DVD interview disc is inside! Can anyone confirm that this is indeed the case? I thought it would be outside the wrapped LPs in the box by itself but it's not there. Now, if I want to watch the DVD I have to open the LPs. :mad:

8. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Look on the bright side, you ordered vinyl and it finally arrived!

indigo_m likes this.
  9. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

The copy I received had the DVD in a pocket adhered to the inside gatefold on the right side.

10. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Yes, I ordered the deluxe set, what, a year and a half ago?

Thanks for confirming that. Looks like that was the intention from the beginning then, to have be a part of the set vs. being by itself. I guess the shrink wrap will be coming off then!

indigo_m likes this.
  11. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

maybe just cut one side of it? I dunno...:shrug:

12. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

My vinyl/booklet/dvd/download card arrived today.

indigo_m likes this.
  13. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Has anyone in Canada received the LP DVD yet?:cheers:

14. AppleCorpse

AppleCorpse Forum Resident

Not yet......unfortunately

15. Gez

Gez Forum Resident

No, not yet - patience slowly running out...

16. S Bindra

S Bindra Well-Known Member

Still waiting for mine in NYC.

This is probably the longest I've waited for a single release but doesn't come close to the wait for the Travels In Constants EP subscription from Temporary Residence. First set was only 2 years for a dozen eps. Second set took 15 years.

17. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

My LP (#61) and DVD landed on my desk today. Now I just need to carve out some time to spend with them.

indigo_m likes this.
  18. E.Jonker

E.Jonker Well-Known Member

It's good to see more people are receiving their Vinyl + DVDs etc. Did you get a notifying email beforehand?
    I also wonder if anyone here in Australia has received theirs.

19. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I got the email that said that shipping notices would go out soon, but I never got an actual shipping notice.

E.Jonker likes this.
  20. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I did not receive a shipping notice.

E.Jonker likes this.
  21. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

Already ready for set two! Just finished reading the Einarson bio and it's definitely whetted my appetite for anything else lying around in the vaults from 1967-1977. Bring on the rest of the pre-Dillard tracks! White Light studio outtakes! Roadmaster Hinshaw mixes! The Farmer OST! Silverado sessions! Two Sides To Every Story outtakes! I want it all... :agree:

That said, I've been doing a lot of re-listening to some of the earlier albums - and I'm kind of baffled by all the excuses people make for the lack of commercial success of Gene Clark w/ The Gosdin Brothers. "It was released the same week as Younger Than Yesterday!" "Columbia didn't promote it!" "It was too Dylanesque!" "Gene Clark wouldn't tour!" "The lyrics were too poetic for his teen fanbase!"

But what no one ever seems to mention is that the album really had no strong singles, and the selection of "Echoes" is a completely baffling choice for the lead single. For chrissakes it has no hook or chorus! I love the song, but how could they have possibly thought it had any chance of being a hit? WTF? Even Dylan bothered to write hooks and choruses for his singles.

That said, I love the album - but anyone sensible steering Gene's career (*cough *cough Jim Dickson) should've seen that the album just didn't have a strong commercial single, and a new artist without one in 1967 wasn't going to get very far...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    wayne66, PhilBorder and indigo_m like this.
  22. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Any reviews of the DVD?

indigo_m likes this.
  23. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

I sort of agree about Echoes as a choice for a single - but the second single, So You Say You Lost Your Baby, was really good, hook and all, and light years ahead of anyone else. It still sounds fresh even today. Have you heard Paul Weller's cover of it? Adding the "And the Gosdin Brothers" to the album title only confused Gene Clark/Byrds fans - so that was not a good decision. All the Gosdins did was add backing vocals And it's true that Columbia didn't promote it. It's a fine album and should have done better than it did IMO. Gene needed stronger management behind him to take him from Byrd to his solo career. He already had a fan base, he just needed to keep the momentum up. Plus the album really should have been released in '66 instead of February '67.

davenav, zobalob and picassoson like this.
  24. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

a mini review will be in the next issue of Echoes, the Gene-Clark.com newsletter coming out next week. :winkgrin:

25. nancybrooke

nancybrooke Not quite Senior Member

I really like the 45 mix of So You Say You Lost Your Baby. This is going in the jukebox! (does anyone know if there was a non-promo issue in the US?)[​IMG]

picassoson and indigo_m like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.