Bob Dylan "The Bootleg Series" – overview and possible future projects

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by My Echo My Shadow And Me, Jun 24, 2017.

1. My Echo My Shadow And Me

My Echo My Shadow And Me Forum Resident Thread Starter

"The Bootleg Series" and additional retrospective releases - overview and possible future projects

I. already released

Bootleg Series:
    1991 - The Bootleg Series Volumes 1–3 (Rare & Unreleased) 1961–1991
    1998 - The Bootleg Series Vol. 4: Bob Dylan Live 1966, The "Royal Albert Hall" Concert (Manchester 1966)
    2002 - The Bootleg Series Vol. 5: Bob Dylan Live 1975, The Rolling Thunder Revue
    2004 - The Bootleg Series Vol. 6: Bob Dylan Live 1964, Concert at Philharmonic Hall
    2005 - The Bootleg Series Vol. 7: No Direction Home - The Soundtrack
    2008 - The Bootleg Series Vol. 8: Tell Tale Signs - Rare and Unreleased 1989–2006
    2010 - The Bootleg Series Vol. 9: The Witmark Demos - 1962–1964
    2013 - The Bootleg Series Vol. 10: Another Self Portrait 1969–1971 (including Isle Of Wight 1969)
    2014 - The Bootleg Series Vol. 11: The Basement Tapes
    2015 - The Bootleg Series Vol. 12: The Cutting Edge 1965-1966

no official announcement yet, but confirmed by several sources:
    2017 - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13: 1979-1981 (exact title unknown)

additional retrospective releases:
    2005 - Live At The Gaslight 1962
    2005 - Live At Carnegie Hall 1963
    2010 - In Concert: Brandeis University 1963
    2012 - The 50th Anniversary Collection 1962 (CD-R set)
    2013 - The 50th Anniversary Collection 1963 (LPs)
    2014 - The 50th Anniversary Collection 1964 (LPs)
    2015 - The Basement Tape (original mono mix of 1968 publishing demo) (LP)
    2015 - The 50th Anniversary Collection 1965 (download)
    2016 - The 1966 Live Recordings (+ separate releases of London May 26 and Sydney)

films:
    2005 - No Direction Home (covering 1941-1966)
    2007 - The Other Side Of The Mirror - Live At The Newport Folk Festival 1963-1965
    2007 - Don’t Look Back (covering UK Tour 1965)

---

II. possible future projects

mentioned by "a source" (Jeff Rosen?) in interviews with "Rolling Stone" magazine:
    - Blood On The Tracks sessions
    - Rolling Thunder Review documentary
    - 1978 tour
    - pre-Columbia coffeehouse tapes
    - Infidels sessions
    - Sydney 1986 ("Hard To Handle" concerts)
    - Oh Mercy sessions (this could include the very early "Emlah Court" demo sessions)

---

III. my personal suggestions

audio - studio/demo tapes:
    1956 The Jokers acetate (early Dylan band)
    1950s rehearsal tapes of Dylan’s early bands recorded at the garage of the Zimmerman home at 2425 Seventh Avenue East, Hibbing, MN
    1958 John Bucklen tape
    1959 Dick Kangas tape
    1960 Karen Wallace tape (the original tape has very good sound and over twenty songs, incl. early Dylan original "One-Eyed Jacks")
    1977 "I'm Cold" demos (if extant – 10–12 songs were written in 1977, one song supposedly called "I'm Cold")
    1978 Street Legal piano demos (if extant)
    1982–1986 Infidels/Empire Burlesque/Knocked Out Loaded/Hearts Of Fire sessions
    1987 Down In The Groove/"Self Portrait II" sessions
    1990 Under The Red Sky (rough mix version: no "superstar" overdubs, diff. vocals/lyrics)
    1992 unreleased album (recorded in Chicago, produced by David Bromberg)
    2008 My Own Love Song soundtrack (18 instrumentals)
    2009 Vigilante Man (The People Speak outtake)

audio - reconstruction of "lost" albums:
    1963 The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan (original version)
    1964 In Concert (cancelled album)
    1974 Blood On The Tracks (original version)
    1987 Down In The Groove (original version)
    [These are finished albums that at one point were due for release, but either got cancelled or were replaced by reworked versions. They could be released on vinyl, recreating the original artwork.]

audio - in concert:
    1976-05-16 Fort Worth
    1976-05-23 Fort Collins
    1978-07-15 Blackbushe (or one of the Paris shows or one of the late 1978 US shows)
    1979-11-16 San Francisco
    1980-04-20 Toronto (there are better shows from that era, but this show was taped and filmed)
    1981-11-10 New Orleans
    1984-07-07 London [or Brussels 06/07 (incl. Tangled Up In Blue – "forbidden zone"-version), Rome 06/21, Barcelona 06/28]
    1987 entire tour with the Grateful Dead (12 CDs) [Mixed to match the sound as heard in the stadiums. The circulating, unmixed soundboard tapes (most of which also run too fast) are a gross misrepresentation of the shows.]
    1987 entire "Temples In Flames" tour (33 CDs)
    1988–present – one release to document each phase of the so-called "Never-Ending Tour“

video:
    1956 The Jokers (early Dylan band) live on a talent show on KEYD-TV – Channel 9 – Minneapolis-St. Paul (broadcast live, probably not recorded) [Info comes from Howard Rutman.]
    1958 The Golden Chords (early Dylan band) live on WDSM-TV – Channel 6 – Superior/Duluth (broadcast live, probably not recorded) [Info comes from Monte Edwardson.]
    1958 The Satin Tones (early Dylan band) live on WDSM-TV – Channel 6 – Superior/Duluth (broadcast live, probably not recorded) [Info about this comes from Shelton. It is unclear if this might actually be The Golden Chords TV appearance.]
    1959 Elston Gunn & The Rock Boppers (another of Dylan’s Hibbing era bands) live on WTCN-TV – Channel 11 – Minneapolis-St. Paul (broadcast live, probably not recorded) [Info comes from John Bucklen.]
    1965–present – official promo films
    1962–present – TV appearances
    1966 Eat The Document (+ alternative D.A. Pennebaker cut)
    1974 (were any shows filmed professionally?)
    1976 Hard Rain (Clearwater and Fort Collins versions)
    1978 Renaldo And Clara (filmed in 1975) (they should include a documentary that outlines how this movie was based on 1945 French movie "The Children Of Paradise“)
    1980-04-20 Toronto (there are better shows from that era, but this show was taped and filmed)
    1994-08-14 Saugerties, NY ("Woodstock '94")
    2002-07-18 concert for the film Masked & Anonymous, Stage 6, Ray-Art Studios, Canoga Park, CA

2. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

The Supper Club (1993)?!
    They've been mentioned more than once as a possible future release..
    I want an audio and video release of all four shows so much I can taste it...

3. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

4. My Echo My Shadow And Me

The only stuff from my list that probably is not available are the 1977 "I'm Cold" demos (since they were never taped in the first place?), the 1978 Street Legal piano demos (though Heylin claims to have heard them) and the TV appearances from the 1950s (because they went out live and were not archived). Everything else does exist and now probably sits in the archive in Tulsa.

CBackley, Sean, theMess and 3 others like this.
  5. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

That's the stuff I was referring to in terms of not existing. There are no "Street Legal Piano Demos", as I've pointed out many times. This is an Internet myth that has continued to be repeated since about 2000. There is a known Rundown Rehearsal tape with some Street Legal songs ('known' meaning it was provided to somebody with a batch of other Rundown tapes - the others 'came out', against the wishes of the supplier, this one was 'held back'), and possibly (or probably) other Rundown tapes from the same time with other Street Legal songs that hasn't been heard.

6. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Good List!

Thanks for doing the heavy lifting.

joebacons, Sean, theMess and 3 others like this.
  7. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

What about the 1969 stuff with Johnny Cash? How much of that survives? Is there enough content for a Bootleg series release?

Reader likes this.
  8. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Also, the goofy 2005 release "Live At Carnegie Hall 1963" only contained a few songs instead of the full concert. Why? Will that show be released in its entirety?

Sean, theMess, warewolf95 and 2 others like this.
  9. Just perusing the original post - it's really mind-boggling isn't it? Even if this was the extent of it and Dylan actually hadn't released any of his original studio albums, this by itself would be enough to establish him as a titan of his era. Simply unbelievable.

#1 on my list would be Eat the Document plus a complete as possible and logically organized filmography of the '66 tour. Long overdue (even though Scorcese's documentary does to some degree compensate...)

CBackley, warewolf95, davenav and 7 others like this.
  10. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Good reminder why I sold off 95% of my cd collection. As a Dylan fan, I usually listen to some Bob every day and I actively need to take in everything on that ridiculous list. There's just no time in my existence to listen to many other artists.

11. bobc

bobc Bluesman

I can't see the Dave Bromberg sessions in there. Have I missed something? Those are the sessions I want to hear.

12. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

How about a "Odds And Sods" collection. You know the one offs for movie soundtracks, TV Shows, live and Studio guest appearances on other artists albums.

warewolf95, phillyal1, Sean and 5 others like this.
  13. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

I'd really at this point just love to hear a demo of his "love is just a four letter word" that Baez made famous.

14. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I'm hopeful that we get something analogous to the terrific Japanese SIDETRACKS release, which thoughtfully rounded up all the anthology-exclusive tracks. Something that would round up all the charity/tribute/soundtrack/collaboration cuts.

15. Afaninfull

Afaninfull Forum Resident

Very high on my priority list would be a Bootleg Series based around the Time Out Of Mind album.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn its genesis wasn't after Dylan filmed his performance at The Supper Club. The timeless themes of ghosts, lost love, regret, murder, and the search for something higher than oneself are certainly found in these songs.

I also think Dylan was exposed to the Genuine Bootleg series at this time. He began his 1995 tour with Crash On The Levee (a live version with the Band being featured) and most importantly a version of Caribbean Wind that would see some of its lyrics built into Mississippi.

This version may come from the sessions at Oxnard along with the stunning version of Can't Wait. It also seems Jim Dickinson has a cut of this album which resides in Tulsa. It would be interesting if this might tie together songs like Mississippi, Red River Shore, Standing in the Doorway, Marching to the City, Trying To Get To Heaven and Not Dark Yet. It's Dylan's great civil war record!

We know a staggering alternate version of Not Dark Yet exists as well as a version of Standing In The Doorway that almost made the record. Sessions were also filmed by Lanois' brother. Apparently a ton of material was recorded including cover versions. This is an essential album and it's deconstruction would make a phenomenal Bootleg Series. Maybe in 2022 for its 25th anniversary?

16. INSW

INSW Senior Member

You're saying Dylan played Caribbean Wind on the 95 tour? I don't have any recollection of that.

warewolf95 likes this.
  17. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Toronto 1980, please!

Sean likes this.
  18. JMGuerr

JMGuerr Forum Resident

For me, I'd like to see the release of:

(Multi disc box sets)

Rolling Thunder Review. Box set of 1975-76 live recordings, including DVDs of "Hard Rain" TV Special, the Clearwater footage, footage from Renaldo & Clara or the complete film.

1960-61. Recordings made before the contract with Columbia.

Live 1963
    . The complete Town Hall & Carnegie Hall concerts under one cover.

The Freewheelin' Sessions. The complete sessions, including previously released tracks.

The Supper Club. All the shows, including DVDs.

NET Box Set. Multi disc set of the best of the NET concerts.

Collected Tracks. Officially released recordings (singles, promos, various artists, other artists, soundtracks, etc.) that are unavailable on a US Bob Dylan album. Including DVD of music videos, film (song) promos, TV appearances).

Dylan 1969. Including the Cash sessions.

19. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

The BOTT set has been teased for so long, they just need to put it out! I'm looking forward to the "Gospel" set that's supposedly next. I was never too crazy about the Supper Club shows, I've always thought any other '93-'94 show can blow those away.

I feel like some sort of "Never Ending Tour" compilation should be released, but I'm not quite sure how something like that could possibly please anyone. So many years, so many shows, different lineups, nothing short of a 2 billion disc box would suffice!

Sean and Mr. Explorer like this.
  20. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I'm sure whatever archive project is released next by Dylan, it will be top notch and will be well received.

As fans of his work, we have been "spoiled" by him over the past few years. It's amazing what he has in the vaults.

21. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Since no one saw the "After The Empire" material coming, I suspect/hope that there's more to be heard that we can't even begin to guess at.

warewolf95, Sean, keef285 and 2 others like this.
  22. Afaninfull

Afaninfull Forum Resident

No, Dylan didn't play Caribbean Wind in 1995. It was in late 1994 that the rattlesnake version of this song came into general circulation. I thought it was fascinating that on the third disc of Tell Tale Signs, that version of Mississippi includes the lyrics of "...days turn to minutes and the minutes turn back into hours" which were found in an earlier version of Caribbean Wind. Is Mississippi an update of this song?

warewolf95 and Mr. Explorer like this.
  23. My Echo My Shadow And Me

The Carnegie Hall 1963 concert has been released in its entirety, but unfortunately the tracks were spread over the following releases:
    The Bootleg Series Vols. 1-3
    The Bootleg Series Vol. 7 - No Direction Home: The Soundtrack
    Bob Dylan Live At Carnegie Hall 1963

The 50th Anniversary Collection 1963

24. My Echo My Shadow And Me

Since it is circulating among collectors they will have to deal with it once the 50 years EU copyright window closes.

25. My Echo My Shadow And Me

They are on my list see "1992 unreleased album (recorded in Chicago, produced by David Bromberg)."