"Dig It" (on Let it Be)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waterface

waterface Forum Resident

Track list please?

noahjld likes this.
  2. Astralweeks

Astralweeks Diamond Dog

I totally dig it. I actually dig the longer one more, I think it reveals more

3. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Time to play semantic games again;). If Dig It and Across The Universe (not to mention I Me Mine) were included on the LP because performances were shown in the film, where's Suzy Parker, Paul and Ringo's Piano Duet (surely better musically than Dig It), the oldies medley, etc. For that matter, why is Maggie Mae on the album but not seen nor heard in the film? My opinion - I think Across The Universe was included because the album was John-lite and he, perhaps with Allen Klein's omnipresent voice in his ear, thought the album needed a good and proper John song. I also think the Threetles reconvened to record I Me Mine to give George his two songs per. Nothing more than that. The film version being too short and sparse sounding to use. Hey, has anyone ever tried looping the film version creating two bridges like Spector's edit??

Which brings us to the most obvious omission. The rooftop performance (s) of Don't Let me Down. Not including it was shortsighted and silly. Was it not included because a studio version was released on the US Hey Jude album? Really? That makes no sense at all. Including the roof top version (or creating a mix using both versions) would have given John a hefty presence AND it's really a joyous recording (personally, I'd leave in the gibberish line from take 1). I mean, Get Back was included on the LP and Phil made sure the take SOUNDED different than the single, why not do the exact same thing with Don't Let Me Down? Ah, the mysteries of life. Ron

Re Dig It. I would have used a shorter version of Glyn's edit. Maybe 2:45 or thereabouts. And I would mix Paul's piano back in too. Bad boy Phil saw keen to remove most of it from the mix.

PS To our noted film scholars. Was Maggie Mae or the earlier Maggie Mae/Fancy Me Chances medley captured on film?

Lostchord likes this.
  4. Yobbles

Yobbles Forum Resident

I would rate "Dig It" slightly higher than John's "Nutopian International Anthem".

But only slightly.

5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

But have you heard the extended, remixed version of "Nutopian International Anthem"? If you have, then you might rate it higher than "Dig It"... ;)

Lostchord and PhoffiFozz like this.
  6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Here you go. I made some edits, so I include the time of each track. Almost all the tracks are in chronological order, but the I Told You Before jams are all placed together at the end.

9.77-78 Commonwealth (3:44)
    9.79 Get Off (2:20)
    9.80 Get Off (2:52)
    10.17-18 At the Casa del Sol (2:59)
    24.59 There You Are Eddie (3:49)
    24.82 Can You Dig It (1:55)
    24.83 Can You Dig It :)13)
    24.84 Can You Dig It (4:04)
    24.85 Can You Dig It (5:14)
    24.98 Can You Dig It :)26)
    25.18 I Lost My Little Girl (7:05)
    26.53 Like a Rolling Stone (1:25)
    26.55a Dig It :)26)
    26.55b Dig It (8:11)
    26.55c Dig It coda :)11)
    27.21 Little Demon (1:14)
    28.07 I've Got a Feeling (1:04)
    28.13 Rainy Day Women :)43)
    28.20 Dig It :)59)
    29.39 Dig It (6:42)
    26.77 I Told You Before (6:06)
    26.79 I Told You Before (4:26)
    27.04 I Told You Before (3:55)
    27.33 I Told You Before (5:19)
    27.34 I Told You Before (1:45)
    29.33 I Had a Dream (2:16)

(For some reason smiley faces appeared wherever the were no minutes before the colon, and I can't delete them)

applejam101 and Yosi like this.
  7. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

There was also a harder edged very long jam recorded at Twickenham called "Get Off"- lead by John..............

8. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I thought you were just happy the performances weren't any longer!

Rfreeman likes this.
  9. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I always thought Spector included that snippet of Dig It because of the reference to Doris Day, and the line at the intro to Two of Us, "...phase one in which Doris gets her oats"

10. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Never noticed that before. Makes sense.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  11. Radardog

Radardog Forum Resident

I dig it the most. Even the full length. Would love to see a Compleat Let It Be box set, with all sessions.

12. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Everything on "Let It Be" is essential to me (including the "Dig It" edit), although "Don't Let Me Down" should have been added as the 2nd track of Side 2, which is several minutes shorter than Side 1. Fits perfectly after "I've Got A Feeling".

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  13. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Yes the full length is for completeists only. However I'd love a remixed 2-3 minute version, a real song instead of just a 50 second link track.

14. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I think one of the things Spector wisely considered were the keys of the songs when sequencing. "Dig It" nicely sets up Lennon's "Hark the Angels..." comment and in turn the title song. Of course, I'm accustomed to hearing it that way. And generally I like hearing bands mess around a bit in the studio. For me, Harrison's songs and "One After 909"are the only weaknesses on LIB.

15. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

"Get Off!" is hilarious, especially once you read @RayS and @Doug Sulpy's Get Back! book and find out the context behind the jam: George was trying to get the band to start rehearsing "For You Blue" and John and Paul weren't having any of it; they simply went off on their own six minute tangent through their own subconscious (they name drop a lot of their old classmates in the latter half of the song). As the book says, "Other than his instrumental contribution, George doesn't participate in this jam at all" (if he is indeed participating at all) and I'd imagine George was probably cheesed off that once again serious rehearsal of one of his songs was ignored in favour of simply farting around some more. The day after the "Get Off!" jam, of course, is when George told the boys they could see him 'round the clubs...
    Well, in a manner of speaking, such a thing already exists: the massive 83 disc A/B Road set (b--tleg), which consists of damn near all the Nagra reels recorded between January 2 and 31st 1969. Aside from cherry picking some of the best officially unreleased stuff with the help of Ray's book (since Ray's book was the guide as far as track-by-track breakdown goes), as far as listening all the way through I couldn't even make it to the end of January 2nd...

applejam101 and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  16. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

I really just think the "filler" is to set the tone for the album, that it's more "off the cuff" rather than actually trying to be a serious follow up Abbey Road.
    It almost comes off as a live album and in doing so, is much more forgivable for not being as polished as Abbey Road.

17. AudioLoup

AudioLoup Forum Resident

I don't really 'dig it'. In my view, the greatest improvement on LIB.N was scrapping this tomfoolery, along with Maggie Mae, which annoys me cause it has good song potential and is cut off at the very moment it starts to get interesting.

The only thing more silly than adding these loose ends to an otherwise proper album is taking them off the original release and then put a way longer bunch of these loose ends on a complementary bonus disc.

18. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

i like dig it......it's perfect.....we never really heard them before like that..loose.....except for some white album stuff.....it reminded us that..yeah..lennon was there too....anyway...it was the let it be album..and that's how it was.......and as a fan...i dug it....

19. Tero

Tero Forum Resident

I have my own Let It Be version. It takes some improved Naked tracks and throws out the two worst orchestrated pieces. I put it all in the Spector order, leaving in the short Dig IT, even though I have two longer versions. Get back was one song that was vastly better on Naked, though on a car stereo most Get Backs sound fairly good. I also added the roof top Get Back at the end. I put Don't Let Me Down and You Know My name between the two Get backs.

DK Pete likes this.
  20. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

That's the best LIB track list I've ever seen. Well done.

21. Tero

Tero Forum Resident

Thanks. it preserves " 'ark the angels come" before Let It Be.

22. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

I still dig it.

waterface and applejam101 like this.
  23. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Maggie Mae & Dig It are must have tracks for Let it be.

The decision to omit them from LIB Naked is incomprehensible, imo.

Why ? It's a short album ! Thank God they put Don't Let Me Down back in ! But then shoot themselves in the foot & leave off Dig It ! It was the perfect opportunity to create a 2-3 minute version & put it in there.

Dave Gilmour's Cat and waterface like this.
  24. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

spector might've been crazier than a s***house rat but I still think he did a great job on let it be. sneaking dig it in there like that, brilliant.

agree.

25. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

whats the name of the book? thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.