My new car has no CD player :-(

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by kwadguy, Jun 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

Well, I guess it was inevitable. But that time is here...

I purchased a new 2017 Honda CR-V this weekend. It's the EX trim package, which has a ton of nice electronic goodies, including Android Auto / Apple Car (which allow you to use the maps on your phone, plus many music apps).

What it doesn't have is a CD player. Nope. Not even an option...Makes me sad.

Moreover, it doesn't even have a 1/8" aux input...So you can't even use a portable CD player (unless you want to buy a 1/8" -> Bluetooth adapter).

When I was discussing the car with my salesguy, I bemoaned the lack of CD player option. The salesguy, who was probably mid 20s replied "nope, and no cassette or 8-track options, either..."

Yup...time marches on...

CrewU, Murph, BDC and 16 others like this.
  2. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

I have a 2 year old Mazda with a CD player - never used it.

3. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

When I was looking for a new car last year, I made sure it offered a CD player. One reason why the CR-V and the Kia Soul were crossed off of my shopping list. I purchased a 2016 Subaru Crosstrek.

4. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I was going through a fast food drive through on my lunch break and I tossed some change into my cup holder.One quarter flew directly right into my cd player!:D

5. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

There is a car i really really like and is in my pricerange, when i askedthe dealer about a cd player option, he told me it doesn't exist...
    So i just did not buy it. What a shame they remove those in favor of google car, apple car and so on... Now we have cars with bugs and that are a pity to handle (radio speaking of course), all the more distracting you from the road !

6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

I seriously considered not getting the CR-V because of the lack of a CD player. But then I thought that was kind of crazy. But just kind of.

I may still get a Bluetooth adapter for a portable CD player. But it seems kind of pathetic to have all those cables and adapters littering the nice new car... Hmmm...

Shibadoc likes this.
  7. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

My 2016 BMW still came with a CD-players as standard and I'm glad it did. Although I'm only using it when returning from a used CD hunt. Once the CDs get home, I'll rip them and put them on my phone.

I use this simple but sturdy phone holder to mount the phone to a vent in the dashboard. Then one cable – ordered the right length and colour to match the dashboard construction – to the USB input.

Kristofa likes this.
  8. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

Put your music on a USB stick and away you go.

9. Tartifless

This requires so much more work !!! First you need a computer equipped with a cd-player (i do not have one), then you need a lot of time, then you need to do this all over again when buying new cds...
    Plus when you leave for a trip on a week-end youcan't just pick some cds randomly, you have to be sure you rip them in advance: where's the fun ?

10. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Just what we need... more drivers texting AND trying to find songs on their phones.

11. Tartifless

Whenever i give this argument, people argue that searching for the cd box, unboxing it and putting it in the cd drawer is the same in terms of attention on the road !

In my opinion it's less dangerous as i can reach for a cd, open it with one hand and put it in the player while keeping my eyes on the road, it all depends where you store the cd's in your car, i usually place them on the seat near to me.
    ==> What is you opinion, which is the less dangerous ?

frightwigwam, sgb, Bill Mac and 3 others like this.
  12. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Well texting is a road traffic offence in the UK.

Blank Frank, sgb, HiFi Guy and 4 others like this.
  13. Tartifless

Yes same here in France. But technically smoking and eating are as well, so is everything that needs one hand off the wheel, which would include switching a cd.

If you setup your phone / player for a random playlist before starting to drive you are set.
    Same for cd.
    ==> But a cd is limited to 74', meaning at one point for a long drive you will have to switch, while a playlist could be infinite.

14. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

The head unit in my car is 5 years old and has a detachable LCD panel. A few months ago I had to clean its contacts and you can imagine my amazement when I found a DVD/CD slot drive hiding behind the panel. I wasn't even aware it had this feature.

15. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

I bet it played Led Zeppelin's No Quarter! :D

16. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

If you plug a music player or USB stick in your car's USB input, most cars will let you search and select songs on their dashboard's build-in screen, using the same buttons and dials you would also use for controlling your car's radio, other in-car audio or navigation system. At least that's the case in most European cars for the last 10 years.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Three years ago, I bought a 2014 Honda Civic LX, and I was pleased it did have a CD player. This stuff about the using an USB stick . . . well, I educated myself about this by reading on the Internet, and even went and talked to my dealership about it. I read my car manual. I loaded up an USB stick with music, and there was no way to get it to work in the USB port.

However that may be, an EX is "top of the line" trim package, so the more expensive audio package may pave the way for "musical nirvana."

18. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

As long as it has USB input why care. I can now have a couple of hundred albums and no longer have to choose what I want to take that day. My car has both USB and SD Slots, I simply loaded an SD card with a couple of hundred albums and keep it installed

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    marcb, Kyhl, Taurus and 4 others like this.
  19. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

My new Ram doesn't have one. Don't miss it at all. Have a couple different USB sticks fir my mood.

20. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

A few months ago I got a new Chevy Impala, it does have a cd player but they are on the way out. I was looking at a Buick LaCrosse but no cd player and the stop/start engine caused me to go with the Impala. On the Cadillac CT6 you can get a cd player for and extra $125.00,...or is it $250.00?

(I go with GM because of my father's employee discount, I know American cars are total undriveable trash that have a lifespan of a mere months compared to Japanese and European cars that last forever and and gets hundreds of miles per gallon but I live in Michigan:D)

21. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

64gb usb in my car

22. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

What you could do perhaps is not buy any audio package at all. Honda used to offer the car for less money if you opted for no stereo. THEN you go to an audio retailer and buy for around the same money as the car dealer - a VASTLY superior stereo including their install. So rather than buy the $5 speakers Honda gives you and the lame 2 bit head unit you could go out and buy an Alpine or Nakamichi or even Denon car stereo head unit with Mordaunt Short.

Here is one example for $299 that does almost everything - CD, DVD, FLAC etc etc.

Amazon.com: Pioneer AVHX5800BHS 2-DIN Receiver with 7.0" Display/Built-In Bluetooth/Siri Eyes Free/AppRadio One/HD Radio: Car Electronics

I have generally always liked the sound of Pioneer CD players on the mass market end of things. Whether this is true today I can't say as I have not owned a vehicle for the last 6 years.

Anyway -

Then you get to go out and buy your own speakers. Many places (at least in Canada) include the installation or it's a fairly nominal fee like $50. There are a lot of good car speakers but do some deeper research because the stuff that comes up on google as best car speakers are limited. There are many other often much better brands out there not marketing as much like Nakamichi.

An example of speakers that probably sound better than any speaker in most any car outside the high end cars. Amazon.com: Focal PS 165 6.5" 160 Watts RMS 2-Way Performance Series Component Speakers System: Car Electronics

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  23. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

My 2016 Kia Sorento has a CD player, satellite radio, USB, Aux input and Bluetooth.

I've used them all.

Dark Mavis likes this.
  24. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

No surprise about the CD player, stranger that they took out the 1/8" AUX input!

25. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

What a smart alec. At least he wasn't ashamed to offer the 120-year-old technology of the internal combustion engine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.