OLED TV/Monitor Owner Thread ver. Dolby Vision is neat

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by White_Noise, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I seen a 75" tv ( huge)the other day think it was a Samsung. Most of the tv brands were switched on Sony etc ..cept LG.

2. Wow, you have issues. I said, a color generator and technician would calibrate it better than the eye could. There is no arguement.

You want to talk about facts... You said I was wrong about the wider gamut (BT2020) offering billion + colors, which you were wrong about. You said there was no content beyond 8bit, then why is HDR10, DV, UHD content and 4K Blurays a thing? You said the tech on these new OLEDs are false advertising, but the technology is built into them.

Everything I say you are looking to find fault, even when I agreed with you. Frankly, you are being an ass. I don't come on here telling people what to do and I didn't tell people not to "give a damn about what they see". I'm not talking down to strangers on here, you are. Furthermore, you twist my words to fit your narrative.

Even if the TV is perfectly calibrated I would make adjustments to suit my tastes. I do it with music and video regardless of how the engineer intends the media to be. There is no right and wrong about it, its called preference.

I don't want to fight with you Vidiot. I'm walking away from this toxic thread.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There is a sad trend in the world for average people to accept mediocrity and just live with it as being OK. To me, when you're buying a TV set that costs $2000-$4000, not having an expert set it up is just sad. It's like driving a Ferrari with regular gas and crappy tires. C'mon.

Gary7704, Gardo and GLUDFSSR like this.
  4. What is sad, is an old man who feels the need to put themselves on a pedestal and cast judgments about people whom they never met. You want to make this personal and it shows your lack of character. Have a great day.

[​IMG]

For anyone wanting to calibrate their OLEDs by themselves there is some good info here:
    Calibration tips for OLED TV

for 3D LUT use from a PC you need madvr and mpchc (Free)
    for 3D LUT use with a blu ray player you need the eecolor 3D LUT box (700$)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

This debate about TV settings is ridiculous!

Everyone knows you push your brightness and sharpness settings as high as they can go and activate as much motion blur reduction as you can get!!!

Vidiot likes this.
  6. Then you run the risk of being "mediocore and average". /s

7. alexpop

What happened to Pioneer,that was a major brand at one time ?

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's a sad story. Sales went down, Pioneer had to close their various factories, workers were laid off. We knew the head exec for years, Ken Kai, and he was a huge champion for picture quality and I believe he was behind the first mass-market plasma TV set. For about 10 years, Pioneer plasma sets -- particularly their legendary "Kuro" line -- were about as good as it got. But: you still had to calibrate those sets.

alexpop likes this.
  9. alexpop

Thanks for the info..
    Yeah, Pioneer were the best for plasmas , then Panasonic took over. Now it's ( I believe ) Sony and LG ( who'd have believed it) in the top tier in 2017.

10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

No, not really, because no one makes plasma displays anymore (for some years now). I think Samsung had the last 'new-gen' plasma (which I still have) before they finally dropped it.

11. alexpop

Was referring to OLED/4K.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

In that case, if you look at total market share (of LCD/LED tvs), we have:
    1. Samsung 21.6%
    2. LG 11.9
    3. TCL 9
    4. Hisense 6.1
    5. Sony 5.6

As far as OLEDs are concerned, there is only one manufacturer & supplier - LG, so it wins! :)

alexpop likes this.
  13. Don't forget when you update that firmware or do any resets, you'd have to recalibrate those brightness and sharpness settings. Or you could strap that 65" to your Ferrari and drop it off on your way to work.

14. alexpop

Best I've seen ( is there anything better?). Signature
    LG Oled 65W7V-Z !!!!!

15. alexpop

Another one impressed was el grande Samsung UE82S9WAQXZG.

16. alexpop

3D fading fast "
    The big TV/audio department I looked in at the weekend didn't have one.
    "3D TV",
    so 2012 i guess.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  17. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident Thread Starter

In terms of design and overall package, no. If I made $200,000+ per year and price was not an issue then I would go with the W7 77inch.

The 2017 Sony OLED matches the panel quality and has what seems to be better software/CPU to handle black crush. But if I could afford the Sony I would opt for a W7 for the superior design anyway.

alexpop likes this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I have no idea what "black crush" is. If the set is correctly calibrated from top to bottom, nothing will be crushed or clipped. There is a tendency to bring OLED blacks up to .03 nits during setup in order to provide a closer match to the rest of the world watching LCDs or (god forbid) CRTs.

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

This particular problem goes beyond calibration. It's a design limitation of the panels themselves and internal processing to a degree. Professionally calibrated screens still had vignetting/banding issues in the just above absolute black regions of the picture. No amount of calibration could remove this artifact.

Of course, most people would never even notice anything or would recognize it as a problem even if they did see something 'strange'.

But this issue has mostly been fixed in the latest gen OLED TVs, so if people still bring it up, they're probably talking about older generation sets.

20. Oatsdad

So I went ahead about purchased an LG OLED C65.

Initial impressions based on a very limited sample (ie, 2 movies):

1) The curve appears to be a total non-factor. I can barely detect it from my "viewing position", and I see no indications of screen distortions. Perhaps If I wasn't watching from a head-on POV I'd see something, but from my viewing spot, the curve is nearly unnoticeable and it's not a distraction at all.

2) I set the picture to "ISF Professional - Dark Room" and made the minor modifications in the link posted earlier. Overall it looks good but I have to admit the image seems more "aggressive" than what I was used to on my Panny plasma - the image just seems a little "jacked up".

This means brighter colors and tighter sharpness, both of which sound good on paper but just feel a little unnatural here. Grain also seems more evident. Maybe the pic on my Panny was too muted/soft and this one's more accurate - dunno.

I do know this has been my only real concern with the new set, as I worry it'll never look as "film-like" as my plasma. This is all watching standard Blu-ray, BTW - I haven't gotten a UHD 4K BD player yet.

3) The passive 3D blows away the active on my Panny. I enjoyed the 3D on that set but the LG's 3D feels much, much more organic. I only watched one 3D movie - "Men in Black 3" - but was delighted at how good the 3D looked. There was none of the ghosting or other interference I occasionally got on the Panny.

Anyway, that's what I have right now. I'm gonna get the set professionally calibrated in 2-4 weeks - I still need to get that 4K UHD BD player, and I'd also like to add speakers for Atmos before the calibrator comes.

Any thoughts about/reactions to my impressions - especially my concerns about the image seeming "jacked up"?

White_Noise likes this.
  21. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but my decision has been pretty resolute for the past 8 months and still holds firm. I've read the specs and reviews of a lot of OLED panels, read discussions and conducted brief auditions, but there has always been one issue or another that threw cold water on my interest in the tech.

To put this in perspective, here are my expectations for a new TV (no particular order):

1. 4K
    2. 3D (a fair number of 3D Blu-rays in my collection)
    3. Negligible burn-in risks (okay, I'll admit to a modicum of OLED paranoia here) :sigh:
    4. Bright picture (nit-picker on this) :winkgrin:
    5. Excellent contrast (black levels, doesn't have to be absolute, but close)
    6. DV or at least the promise of DV as an update (less critical, but desirable)
    7. Flat panel (not curved)
    8. Wall mountable

After following owner's threads criticism and reviews (pro & con) and briefly auditioning this panel my eyeballs are still enamored of the SONY 65Z9D. This isn't a panacea-panel by any means (to my knowledge there is no such display device, now or on the horizon), but based on what I'm seeing, it gets closer than the competition. What I'm waiting for is another price drop or two and the promised DV app. Since this is a flagship model, prices have held firmer than most SONY panels.

Since this will be a long term investment ...and far from a cheap product..., I tried to keep my options open to other panels and technologies (OLED, QLED, etc.). While I see a lot of potential in OLED and the costs keep coming down, there are just too many caveats with the current displays. I suspect that the hamster-wheel gurus developing new tech will "perfect" OLED just about the same time a new display tech replaces it (as LED did to Plasma).

Alas, I'm not thrilled about waiting for another panel technology reset (life is too short for that). There isn't a lot of 4K currently available, but it is coming and I have a lot of DVDs and BDs that can be upconverted. IOW, this 4K delivery system should satisfy my requirements for years. As always, this is just one man's informed opinion; OMMV.

:cheers:
    Cat

PS: Sincere apologies, ...just re-read the thread title.
    Didn't realize this was an OLED owner's thread. My bad (sorry). :angel:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  22. nopedals

nopedals Forum Resident

Man, I hate it when folks take shots at vidiot. If he stopped posting this section of the site would be worthless. Fortunately he seems to have thick skin.

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

This is almost certainly the case. Plasmas tend to have more subdued colors and often aren't recommended for bright daylight environments. I'd say your viewing habits were acclimatized to the plasma (whose colors and brightness levels also fade quite a bit over time) and seeing the new OLED would definitely make you notice a big difference.

24. Oatsdad

Could be. I kept my plasma in a dark room- basement with blacked-out (small) windows and just a 60-watt light on behind the TV - so I never dealt with a bright environment.

The plasma wasn't old - 3.5 years - so I don't think any fading occurred.

Anyway, you're probably correct and I'm just overly sensitive to the changes. I've had plasmas since early 2008 so I suspect there's some time needed to get accustomed to the "look" of OLED.

And to be fair, it's not like the OLED looks super-jacked-up - I'm sure it would if I went with factory settings (hyped colors, motion blur turned on, high sharpness, etc.) but the settings are meant for a more "cinematic" experience, so the set doesn't look "in your face" or anything.

It also might simply have a sharper picture and I'm seeing that.

Well, whatever adjustment I need for 2D viewing, I don't require that for 3D - like I said in my post, the 3D looks awesome so far. I've saved a lot of 3D titles for the day I got my OLED, so I'm excited to run them finally!

White_Noise likes this.
  25. htom

htom Senior Member

If this was an incandescent bulb, or even a standard CFL it is likely the color temperature would be very much into the red (2700K) rather than reference/daylight (6500K). I think this means that you would perceive calibrated content on your screen as being overly blue as a result. However, you only changed displays, so something else is at play here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.