Your Favourite Roxy Music Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, May 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matty

Matty Forum Resident

I presume that your spellcheck screwed up "New Romantic"...but I have to say that I find the idea of a "New Aromatic movement" very amusing. I'm imagining a synth player from Spandau Ballet or Duran Duran bragging, "Not only do we dress more stylishly than the Clash and the Sex Pistols, we smell better!"

2. I think
    yep. We have a new movement! They took showers and wore aftershave. ;)

3. lance b

lance b Forum Resident

Favourite is:
    Avalon on SACD
    Closely followed by:
    For Your Pleasure on HDCD

4. I thought that the HDCD was OK--I do wish that it was more dynamic. I would keep wondering with that Blu-ray/multi-track for the first album is....I used to have the SACD and it sounded great--my only complaint was that "Always Unknowing" was only playable on the SACD layer so when I would rip it to CD-R to listen to in the car, I had to use another source (a vintage 45 I had which sounded pretty good but it was hard to volume match back in those days).

When we moved the SACD disappeared. I'd love to see Audio Fidelity reissue that or Mobile Fidelity. A pity that the original masters are pretty much crap at this point.

I suspect that Avalon is the forum favorite because, simply, it's 1) the most commercial 2) most folks haven't heard the other albums.

I can't believe that people actually prefer Flesh + Blood to Manifesto. F+B is the only dog in their catalog (it's still pretty good but it's clear they were running on fumes and needed a break--they recorded two covers further blurring the line between solo Ferry and Roxy and showed a lack of inspiration--I do like the cover of "In The Midnight Hour" but it seems to fit a Ferry solo album more than Roxy. "Eight Miles High" is horrible IMHO.

5. lance b

lance b Forum Resident

I like Avalon due to it's sound quality, superbly recorded and still stands up today - Bob Clearmountain did a sensational job on that album and the SACD version is superb, especially on my equipment anyway. On another thread, "Roxy Music - Avalon....why no audiophile treatment" I wrote: "I have both the HDCD and the SACD version and they sound great, possibly my favourite album and also recording-wise. The SACD is a tad better than the HDCD but don't listen to the surround 5.1, just stereo. Such a beautifully crafted and recorded album, superb punchy bass lines, great stereo effect and wonderful clarity. My favourite song for the fantastic sound quality is "While my Heart is Still Beating", superb bass by Neil Jason, to the point that I can tell the difference on what tracks he played bass and what tracks Alan Spenner played bass."

I have also "Roxy Music", "Manifesto", "For Your Pleasure" and "Flesh and Blood" so am no stranger to Roxy Music, or Bryan Ferry for that matter as I am a big fan of him as well. "Flesh and Blood" is one of their weaker albums, but still has some good tracks but is blown out of the water by "Avalon". Would love to know how the SACD version of "For Your Pleasure" sounds. Anybody have it and can shed light?

6. Oh I wasn't pointing out that's why you listed it just that the majority in the poll picked it. I didn't even know they released an SACD for For Your Pleasure. Never saw it.

7. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

8. Wish they would expand it with other material from those tapes.

9. Oh that's right it was the SACD single layer boxed set.

lance b likes this.
  10. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

I voted for Avalon. To me it stands as one of the greatest make-out albums of all time.

The MEZ likes this.
  11. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Random comment. Just saw King Crimson last night and Bryan Ferry is coming up. Life is good.

strummer101 and lance b like this.
  12. Only just NOW, just barely dipping my toe in the pool on Roxy Music. I just bought Country Life this week, with plans to pick up Sirens very shortly.

But I suspect that may be it for me and Roxy Music (unless, perhaps, I go back even earlier). I've borrowed various Roxy Music comps over the years from folks, and I've never really connected with anything later by then (nor Brian Ferry's later output either).

Short and sweet, over the last couple years tracks from Country Life kept coming up on 2-3 different Pandora channels I listen to -- and I found myself noticing them every time. So I finally took the plunge last week and tossed a copy of the CD into an Amazon order. Hasn't even gotten here year, but I've listened to the album 2-3 times since (via YouTube), and digging it pretty hard. Sirens too, though it's a little less arresting.

Kinda nice, actually, to discover a 'new' band where I *DON'T* have to run out and buy everything they ever did, in order to have the great bulk of their output that I really like best.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    Rne and Grow Fins like this.
  13. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Glad to see my fave For Your Pleasure doing well. While the debut is great, it's a bit rough around the edges, which I think they smoothed out pretty well on the 2nd record.

After Eno left, I lose a fair amount of interest in them, though I do have Stranded (which is still quite good) and Country Life among my LP's along with FYP.

The MEZ likes this.
  14. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Discovering Roxy Music was a fascinating experience for me, I hope the same for you.
    I'm not what you could call an audiophile, but the '99 remasters are compressed and too bright for my taste. So if you can get the older ones, or, in case your interest grows, the 2012 box set, it's gonna be a far better sonic experience.
    (Personally, I fell in love with the band after getting the 1999 remaster of the debut album, so it's just a detail).

noahjld and Chrome_Head like this.
  15. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

First 5 albums are all great - not a bad little run!

The MEZ likes this.
  16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

By the way, does anybody here remember the 5.1 remix of the first LP...? :waiting::waiting::waiting::shrug:

17. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

It's still on the cards apparently... The deluxe reissue of the debut album has been ready, as far as I can tell, since the 40th anniversary back in 2012.

As with everything to do with Bryan Ferry these days, things happen, but slower than a snails pace...
    The webmaster at the Viva Roxy Music site seems convinced that we will get a Roxy Deluxe Edition at some point, and that it'll be well worth waiting for. He's not allowed to divulge what's on it though, and even he doesn't genuinely seem to know when we'll get it...

Rne likes this.
  18. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

The debut, For Your Pleasure and Stranded are about 1000x better and more interesting than the smooch of Avalon IMO but yes, Avalon is very nicely done.

Tim

19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

:realmad:

20. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Country Life is best
    Siren a close second
    First two occupy a fond joint third position

Can't decide after that - maybe Flesh & Blood, if only for 'Rain Rain Rain'?

Have never heard Avalon.

21. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I imagine a synth that plays a smell for each sound it makes.

Max Florian likes this.
  22. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Only 9 votes for "Manifesto"?????

karmaman likes this.
  23. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

i know! but although i like it i voted for Stranded... would be nice to think it's a lot of peoples second or third choice.

noahjld likes this.
  24. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

I voted for For Your Pleasure although Stranded wasn't far behind.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere a while ago that Bryan Ferry's favourite albums were For Your Pleasure and Avalon.

25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Sorry, but I have the older albums and it's BF's voice. None of the older ones suck, but his voice back then annoys the crap out of me. The band was just as tight as ever.
    I still prefer F&B to Manifesto, but in recent years I'm really starting to play Manifesto more. I always thought F&B and Manifesto were BF's reaction to disco. The glamour and façade of disco just fit his decadent lyrics well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.