Finally got a plasma tv.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Jun 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

My ego isn't big enough to have the inability to admit when I'm wrong and I clearly did in this thread.

The fact that you keep harping on it and wish to throw it back in my face while repeatedly making fun of me speaks volumes.

I envy you since, from your tone, it appears you've never been wrong about anything. Must be nice to never fail at anything... but I bet if you did, most people, including myself, wouldn't hold it against you and mock you for it. But that's most people and clearly not you.

2. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Plasmas were pretty solid for their time and the whole burn-in paranoia was overblown. I used to game on mine daily without issue.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Exactly. You get to make the decisions about the picture on the set -- not the set itself.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Naaa, I can see the pixel vibration mode on my plasma. I turn that off, too. If necessary, after X hours of viewing, I run a neutral gray image for about 10 minutes, and there's also a "sweep" mode that drives a bright bar horizontally across the screen to rid it of any burn-ins.

About to switch to an LG OLED after nearly 5 years with the BT300 plasma, so we'll see how that goes.

alexpop likes this.
  5. Again I LOVE
    I guess I should look into this. I do have a CNN LOGO and red bar from CNN that I see during light screen moments because of all the political BS I've watched over the past year..... Still I love the Panny.

Old Mac likes this.
  6. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Unless you have your plasma screen set on torch mode, pretty much any quality plasma built since the mid-2000s were less prone to burn-in. All have some degree of image retention, but that is not a permanent issue. I have two Panasonics, one 42" circa 2009, and a 55" bought in 2012. The 42 gets used for serious gaming by my kids. I make sure they have it at a reasonable setting and so far no burn-in at all.

I would love to try an OLED set, but since my plasmas are still running strong I can't justify the cost.

John K.

7. It does happen. My 2013,Panny shows that I watch a ton if MSNBC and CNN when the bottom corner is light. .

[​IMG]

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  8. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

I had one and viewing in the day was terrible. Glass reflects everything in the room, especially windows almost unwatchable. If put in dark room with few windows or watch a lot at night it would be ok. I hear are very popular with Movie enthusiasts. If you watch a lot of sports and news stations and 4:3 content and general sitcoms your better off with a LCD/LED.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Onwards and upwards.

Vidiot likes this.
  10. alexpop

Aren't LCD/Led not also glass screens?

11. alexpop

Bottom ( looks like a bottom ) right,
    big thumb mark.

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

I ordered one of those Disney WOW: World of Wonder calibration discs to see what they come up with. :p

arley likes this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

[​IMG]

The Hole Got Fixed likes this.
  14. alexpop

Signature?

15. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

My Sony has no glass on its surface so the reflection is minimal.

16. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Will be curious to hear how that is for you. I saw a top tier LG OLED at a Best Buy recently and the picture looked spectacular out of the box. Like film. Must look incredible when set up properly.
    As far as the BT, 5 years seems like a short time for that panels life. Do you see it diminishing already?

17. alexpop

Glad I got my plasma in 2013,
    3-D option was a necessity.

Ghostworld likes this.
  18. My Plasma has 3d option and glasses. Never used it. Doesn't appeal to me.

19. alexpop

More 3D BD titles on the shelve for me.:laugh:

Ghostworld and Mazzy like this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There have been weeks when I've used it close to 80-90 hours, so I think it's about time for a replacement. Hey, it lasted a lot longer than the CRT monitors I've used over the years --we were lucky to get 2 years out of those.

chacha likes this.
  21. alexpop

My Sony Wega was still going strong after ten years, but space permitting the guys that delivered the 55" Panasonic, took away the silver Sony ( all 70 kilos of it).

22. Ghostworld

What the heck is not to like about 3D? What are these guys going to do when augment reality rolls around? They'll be lost.

23. Ghostworld

Yeah, both on HDMI 1. I stream Netflix through my PS3!

24. Ghostworld

Black and white movies just pop! I was watching the Criterion Collection's "The Seventh Seal" and the GRAIN! Ha!

mikeyt likes this.
  25. alexpop

A lot of 3D haters here.
    Love to dampen 3D enthusiasts mojo.
    Such is human beings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.