My new car has no CD player :-(

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by kwadguy, Jun 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Wow, how much data do you go through each month?

2. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Ever since I got a car with an Aux in socket I have abandoned CD in the car. Haven't scratched a CD since. My current car has Bluetooth, USB in and iPod connectivity (if I want lossless in the car ALAC synced to the iPod OR FLAC played using Onkyo HF Player both work, but I cannot hear a benefit over 320K MP3). Having already ripped all of my music to FLAC, I just maintain a folder of MP3 versions of everything for the car. None of my last three cars have played gapless unless via an iPod / iPhone, but that appears to be the only downside.

3. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Better still, have your phone connect via Bluetooth and then just ask Siri to play whatever you want.

4. My 2006 Audi A3 also have a smaller spare. Luckily I never had to use it.

5. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Your car is obviously defective and needs to be returned.

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

No spare and no run-flat tires on mine! Even a simple flat requires a flat-bed tow truck :(

7. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Save your old phone to use as an iPod. If you always keep it plugged in, you won't have battery problems. It's a great way to repurpose an old phone.

8. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Seriously? That's terrible.

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Such are the compromises with a sports car :laugh:

It does a CD player, however :p

Patrick McGrath and chacha like this.
  10. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Ugh. I can understand the mentality ("Hey we have CarPlay blah blah") but that AUX port is the most flexible of all. Come to think of it, I'd be loath to get a car without it.

gillcup likes this.
  11. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

A friend bought a car that way (turned out it also deleted all noise suppression off the engine, which was problematic) and after spending one hell afternoon changing out a Mustang radio I ordered two with factory delete.
    But I highly doubt such an option exists (outside track special models) any more. Now, the speakers are sometimes supplied by the door/trim panel manufacturer, coming integrated as one piece. So it does not save any money to delete the radio, it is too built-in.

What bugs me more is the lack of large woofers. 5 or 6 inches is NOT a subwoofer!

12. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Not in the 3s I was looking at which is very strange. The 2017 lists no CD player and a search for the 2016 also lists no CD player

13. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

I've got the 3s GT.
    From Kelly Blue Book:
    Optional Equipment The higher-end Mazda3 s Touring and s Grand Touring models come with a more powerful engine, 18-inch wheels, power driver's seat, and premium interior material (Leatherette for s Touring, real leather for s Grand Touring). Other options include navigation system, 9-speaker Bose audio system with satellite radio and CD player, heated front seats and a moonroof.

14. Aristophanes

Aristophanes Well-Known Member

I've been replacing all the car radios in my family; kids, wife, girl friends, etc. with aftermarket single din radios that have USB and SD chips (the SDs don't stick out). No more of those ugly CDs laying around and distracting your driving; such a bother. Aftermarket radios have displays that show all the information. A 2GB or 4GB USB stick holds a ton of songs that can be arranged in folders. You can select by folder, genre, favorite, etc. I think the sound is every bit as good as CDs.

sublemon likes this.
  15. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

Hmm, you may have the wrong E-Class in mind...mine's an E550 Coupe. It's not only the sound system that plays rock-and-roll.

I do the driving--thank you very much. :)

cdash99 likes this.
  16. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

What I hated about CD drives and changers was their lack of speed. Getting the CD to load and play was slow and often a hit or miss if you were using a CDR that spent too much time in the car. Getting the changer to switch to another CD was often an exercise in frustration and I can remember the last car I had with a CD changer: It had front loading slots for 5 CD and one day I discovered that I managed to get 7 CDs in.

17. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

u old guys can keep schlepping discs to and from the car, scratching them up and leaving them in the sun if u really wanna. Bluetooth from a mobile device is about a million times better tho.

18. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Mobile devices is ********, bluetooth sq is terrible and young people should not complain when they are all sick from all the wireless waves in a closed space like a car !

Davidmk5 likes this.
  19. Claude Benshaul

Informative, courteous and knowledgeable, what's not to like in this post?

BT audio quality is nothing to write home about, even in the unlikely event that APTX is supported and enabled at both ends.

20. Sevoflurane

I'd love to have a car that was quiet enough, with a stereo good enough, to be able to stand a chance of distinguishing MP3 from lossless or Bluetooth from a wired connection, but I don't. MP3 from a USB stick or SD card or Bluetooth via the phone is fine for my automotive purposes.

Colin M likes this.
  21. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

You're lucky, the difference between Bluetooth and a wired connection is like night and day for me and I don't have a super duper fancy car stereo, although it is decent.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  22. Sevoflurane

It's probably moe to do with the background burble of a Honda diesel engine making any audio assessment impossible!

Drifter likes this.
  23. Claude Benshaul

Even in my case, and I'm one who had his audiophile membership cards revoked twice for failure to discern any audible difference between power cords or USB cables, I can hear the difference between BT audio and a wired or miracast connection playing the same FLAC. The BT sounds as if the car muffler became part of the audio chain.

Davidmk5 and Drifter like this.
  24. spridle

spridle Forum Resident

I don't get it - you'll buy a computer without an optical drive, but a car without a CD player is almost crossed off your list? I've got a CD player and a USB drive. The only time I use the CD player is if I buy a record at the store and it comes with a CD. I'll play it on the way home. So I've used it about five times in five years. I couldn't care less if a car had one or not.

25. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

Re: 2016 Maxima and a USB flash drive...

The 1.5-minute delay at power-on happens if the head unit is in shuffle/random mode. If it's in standard mode then it does start up quicker - maybe 10 seconds. Both modes do start up with the same track that was playing before the system was powered down (and at the same spot in the track). Seems that they should do that - which can obviously be done sorta-kinda quickly - and then complete the scan in the background (if needed). But the Nissan or Clarion engineers apparently couldn't be bothered to do that either - or more likely the bean counters told them to not put any development or testing effort ($) towards doing so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.