Finally got a plasma tv.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Jun 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Severe compromises with the technology as implemented in TVs.

Embrace it, coz it will be a far superior experience with none of the problems of 3d tvs.

mikeyt likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Even if quality control was better, folks would still adamantly dislike.

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Why would they? There's a reason why it hasn't caught on.

mikeyt likes this.
  4. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

Any suggestions on finding a good Panasonic plasma these days? I'd love to have a good and proper 1080p display and something that is more like my cherished xbr960 rather than the dull and lifeless LED panels I see everywhere.
    Sadly I don't quite have the budget for oled yet. So I'm stuck with searching for a late model good condition Panasonic since people ask crazy money for the earlier Pioneer Kuros.

5. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Hey I'm still Standard Def.

Want to hold out another year - 18 months if I can.

6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I would save up for a OLED.
    I have a Pioneer Kuro 50". Curious what you're seeing people ask for them these days.

mikeyt likes this.
  7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

My guess is, it's going to look a lot like 3D tv with the accompanying headaches for some. Virtual reality hasn't taken off, either, despite a flurry of manufacturers making stuff. It probably all boils down to what your eyeballs can handle without freaking out. I have zero problems with 3D technology now at the movies. The only downside is I honestly forget I'm watching in 3D most of the time, I find the technology that accomplished now. The first time I saw "Bolt" in 3D I came out of the theater raving how good it was now. Goodbye red and blue glasses! Watching The Two Towers" now. I'd kill to be watching it in 3D.

8. Where are you Simon

Where are you Simon Well-Known Member

I paid around £2,000 for my 42" Hitachi plasma when the BBC HD channel first started broadcasting on satellite around 10 years ago
    It still has brilliant picture quality and wont give up.
    I don't use it during the summer much because its like having a heater on the wall.

9. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Whenever I read about plasmas being these huge heat bombs I admit to shaking my head in wonder. At it's worst, my old 50" plasma threw off a heat wave that was felt, at worst, ONLY within 2-3 inches off the top/rear of the set. Hardly capable of effecting room temperature. Guess I was lucky!

10. I agree my 60" is very warm when I'm an inch or two away. It certainly doesn't heat the room.

11. monte4

monte4 Senior Member

I own 2 plasma's. First one a 42 inch LG 720p I bought new 6 years ago for $500. The second is a 60 inch 1080 LG from the last run of plasmas in 2014. Paid just under $700 Can. when Future Shop was getting rid of them. Both have terrific picture quality (maybe not as good as the top of line Panasonic's) but at a third of the price.

12. John Schofield

John Schofield There is no replacement for displacement

All I can say is I've always loved my 65" Panny plasma purchased about 7 years ago.... too lazy to get out of my hammock for the model number. Very film like, rich color and depth. Love watching BR concerts on it. Then again, my priority has been the audio.

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I got one of the last Panny plasmas too - we probably have the same 60" model and have been very happy with it.

Which makes me feel stupid for buying an LG OLED to replace it, but dammit, I want my 4K TV to offer 3D, so it was now or never!

Haven't had a chance to hook up the OLED yet - gonna be very curious to see how it compares to the Panny...

14. Oatsdad

Send 'em to me - I'll take 'em! :wave:

15. Oatsdad

When I watch TV series on Blu-ray, I tend to do so in "fast mode" on my Panny BD player - it moves things a little faster but not crazy fast, so it's still easy to understand the sound and follow the shows.

Anyway, WB BDs run a timing bar at the bottom in "fast mode" and after I went through 4 seasons of various WB superhero shows in a 2-week span last year, I saw the timing bar burn-in. Freaked me out for a day or 2 but went away!

Vidiot likes this.
  16. By panny had 3D just never used it. TC P60ZT60

17. Oatsdad

I can't remember my model #. I like the 3D but still eager to see how the LG OLED does it - I've heard it's the best home 3D presentation out there...

18. Oatsdad

Since I just announced that I bought a new TV solely to make sure I got one with 3D, that should be a sign I like it! :D

The quality of the 3D depends on the movie. Some 3D BDs look awesome, some are glorified 2D.

Same as in the movies - I've seen some great 3D films on the big screen and some that made me wonder why they bothered...

19. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

I have my first Plasma the Pioneer Kuro 50" next to my treadmill now, still going strong.
    I have the 65" Panasonic ST60 bought 3 years ago in the family room working very nicely.
    Finally I have the 50" Panasonic S50 in the bedroom also working just fine.

4xoddic, chacha and Mazzy like this.
  20. alexpop

:)

21. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Your LG OLED should look fabulous.

22. alexpop

Any good TVs coming out 2018?

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

CES is happening in just about 2 weeks, so no doubt there'll be a lot of announcements about new sets soon.

alexpop likes this.
  24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Nope, there will be no plasma tvs released in 2018.

25. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

A roundup of some informed speculation:

With HDMI 2.1 just being finalized, which includes support for 8k, expect to see some 8k panel prototypes. Sony has filed for an ’8K HDR’ logo and trademark for use with TVs, which hints that Sony is planning to launch its first 8K TV at CES. Samsung will likely 'introduce' one as well.

Samsung may show off its new display technology based on microLEDs. It's somewhat similar to OLED (self-emissive) , but it's inorganic in nature. The pixels really are tiny rgb LEDs. This construction makes it much easier to manufacture in huge form factors and also has even better display characteristics than OLEDs. A demo unit might show up, but the tech itself won't be commercially available next year.

LG will show more Wallpaper models, at smaller sizes and possibly larger. They are also showing off speakerless panels using '’Crystal Sound' technology, where the whole display panel is vibrated to produce sound. No, the vibrations won't affect the picture quality of be visible in any way. Apparently, the technology produces excellent sound, including good bass and is able to focus the sound to make it come from any part of the screen. So you could have a few people talking on-screen and their voices would appear to come from that part of the screen.

aarsonbet and Vidiot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.