New album from Sam Beam / Iron and Wine - Beast Epic - 25th August

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rich100, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Hmm. I've been with him since the beginning. His first two lps were strong, but the quality started lacking afterwards. I'd end up skipping half of the tracks. Judging by his choice for first single, I'm unfortunately going to pass.

Larry Loves LPs likes this.
  3. rich100

I'll check out those first two

4. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

I see there is deluxe double vinyl including five extra track , I think on colour vinyl

rich100 likes this.
  5. rich100

Sometimes though, I feel relieved to see a normal black vinyl record come out of the sleeve :)

lucan_g and Porkpie like this.
  6. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

That was just my opinion, of course.
    The first two are quite a bit more lo-fi (especially the first), and it's mostly voice and acoustic guitar. The imagery in his lyrics was always so poetic and damn beautiful, but I just haven't got that in the last few releases. I'm glad that you enjoy his music and I wish him continued success, though.

rich100 likes this.
  7. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Is this for all vinyl editions, like even from amazon, or just through specialty retailer/shops?

8. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

I'm going to guess that it's the Sub Pop "Loser Edition". I thought these were intended for the Sub Pop website and indie retailers but they do turn up on Amazon too.

9. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

10. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Beast Epic [VINYL]: Amazon.co.uk: Music

11. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Okay, so regardless of retailer, if it says 2LP, it's the deluxe version with the color vinyl and bonus tracks?

12. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I've got all his previous albums, so this will be a must-buy as well!

13. My favourites are the last 2-Kiss Each Other Clean and Ghost On Ghost .Probably shows there is good stuff right through his catalogue.If you like Love Letter For Fire I would definitely check out those last 2.

rich100 likes this.
  14. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

This comes out tomorrow - I'm surprised there's almost no discussion and/or reviews of the album out there yet.

15. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

Amazon UK has it listed for the 25th. Keen to hear it.

16. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Oops, not tomorrow, I meant a WEEK from tomorrow. Sorry!

17. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

The album is "out there". I've been listening to it for the past week or so and it's a lot more stripped down than the past 2 releases. I only started listening to him from the last 2 and then bought the two duet albums that he brought out last year. I like this one, going to take a few more listens to really get into it, but that's all part of the fun.

On a side note, has anyone here heard Sweetlights? It's one guy, who sadly now has packed it in, but his one sole album is fantastic and if you're a fan of Kiss Each Other Clean and Ghost On Ghost definitely try to give it a listen.

18. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Then you need Endless Summer Days. It takes the intimacy of Creek Drank and gives it production value. A truly beautiful late summer album.

AmosM likes this.
  19. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Thanks, I'll check it out, listening to Grizzly Bear's new one at the moment

20. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

DJWilbur shared tons of his music with me, and I tried to get into him, but I just find him dull as dirt. Even his duets project was less than I had hoped it would be.

Does this one have any more "spark" than his previous work, or is it similar to that?

21. setlistthief

setlistthief Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to this new one. Last year's collaboration with Jesca Hoop was excellent, both songwriting and performance-wise. Seems like Sam tweaks his style with each new release, sometimes successfully, other times less so. Kiss Each Other Clean was a disappointment (although the single Walking Far From Home was strong lyrically). I'll be seeing I&W perform this fall for the first time. Having heard several live performances over the years, Sam's real strengths lie in his gorgeous singing voice and (generally speaking) strong songwriting.

22. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Listening now to this really like it, are he other albums in this style of acoustic

23. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Feel like (so far) he peaked with Shepherd's Dog, but will certainly give this a listen.

24. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Anyone get this today? I should be able to pick it up on my way home later.

If anyone has it, how's the quality of the vinyl?

25. rich100

Seems like a good pressing, only got through side 1 so far. Nice lyric booklet included but the sleeve of the heavy card type, I dislike these as always too tight getting the LP in and out. I like what I've heard so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.