Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Flowers In The Dirt*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Murdock, Sep 18, 2015.

1. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Only songs from after he started going grey qualify. But also only before he started dyeing it. Exceptions made for songs he wrote on days when he had enough grey hair showing to cause a new thread on his hair to be started.

2. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

And now I've listened to the demos as well (the duo ones, that is). They're charming and fun, but I've already heard them on boots. I generally think that more produced tracks are better to listen to, so I'm hoping the band demos will be even better.

Some general thoughts: I don't like Paul's shrieking on "Lovers that Never Were". The two unreleased tracks are good. I do think I liked "That Day is Done" better in this more unassuming format. "Don't Be Careless Love" was better with Elvis's vocal contribution.

3. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

I finally had a chance to watch the bonus DVD start to finish and other than the videos not being in 5.1 it was a very enjoyable viewing with the full version of "Put It There" being a joy to watch!

Mr. Explorer, lukatherfan and theMess like this.
  4. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

That, and it forces Paul to show some love to his earlier solo material. Yes, there are a handful of hit songs in concerts and compilations from time to time, but the idea of going back and showing us what was going on at the time, what other ideas were being considered, and just how much thought and care went into the final project makes each Archive worth releasing. Paul is an artisan more than just a pop star, and it's about time to recognize the genius didn't plummet as badly as critics thought after Let It Be.

Mr. Explorer, Paul H, theMess and 4 others like this.
  5. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

There is now a 6CD set available which appears to contain everything - which is exactly what we should have been given in the "deluxe" box. As per the rules I'm afraid no details can be given but this is worth seeking out.

6. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Can you explain, please? Is there a different FITD set out now?

7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

It's a bootleg or other illegal item.

theMess and A well respected man like this.
  8. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

It is an "unofficial" release. However if PM had seen fit to include everything the fans had a right to expect - the ones who paid £130+, then there would be no need for others to do the job properly.

A well respected man likes this.
  9. I only listen to the Flowers hi-res files and no limiting was involved in their remastering.

10. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

6-CDs seems like one too many discs. I can name those tunes in five!

11. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Thought I was getting the DVD part of a package. It wasn't until Best Buy sent the WRONG replacement TWICE that they finally admitted they were selling a *phantom* item. And of course, they tried to spin it as my fault! :realmad:

12. Wingsfan2012

The CD's sounds wonderful and not "LOUD" like many have complained about "Pepper 50"!

13. Wingsfan2012

I just started 2 new Archive Collection polls, gentlemen enjoy and let your votes be heard!

:righton:

14. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Picked up the super deluxe off Amazon UK for £95 last night. Now I'm listening to the album for the first time

Mr. Explorer, Frank and Oyster Boy like this.
  15. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I just realized after all these years that Macca did Flowers and Elvis did MIGHTY LIKE A ROSE. I wonder if this was intentional (the flower theme)?

16. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

If Elvis had entitled his album MIGHTY LIKE A RED ROSE SPEEDWAY, I would say "yes". But he didn't, so I was say it NOT intentional. Just a (slight) coincidence.

17. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Yes...that vocal on "Lovers" has been a point of contention on this thread. Some think it's a great vocal performance, but to my ears, there's too much straining for the notes.

gottafeelin likes this.
  18. BrucePadgett

BrucePadgett Forum Resident

Anyone else having trouble redeeming the code for the Best Buy single? The url leads me to a page which only states "Access denied by intermediary. Domain not recognized."

Thanks.

19. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I just received the Flowers deluxe set. Overall, I'm quite pleased. However, I truly hope the next release includes all songs on CD. After burning the download tracks to CD-r, it kind of cheapens the look of the set. You spend all this money for the music and presentation, and here you are with a beautiful set of CDs, books and a homemade CD-r. Just my two cents.

Mr. Explorer and aoxomoxoa like this.
  20. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Saw this at my local record shop today. Not exactly earth-shaking, but interesting enough to take a pic of - I'd never seen this sticker...
    [​IMG]

21. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Hope I can get tickets!!!

22. Wingsfan2012

It was the concert opening song and the new single right when that leg of the tour started so the hype sticker makes sense!

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  23. Joao Carlos

Joao Carlos Forum Resident

Best DVD of the Macca deluxes so far

Ken.e. and Paul H like this.
  24. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

So after some time, here are my thoughts (this covers both the 2 cd and the 3 cd 1 DVD deluxe edition):

This is a long post, grab your favorite beverage.

1.) Good to have Put It There officially released onto DVD here in the US. The performances do hold up well.

2.) Seeing the behind the scenes bonus footage of Elvis and Paul is amazing.

Some more random thoughts/review below:

I like that on the DVD (Creating Flowers In The Dirt) [about 21 minutes long] the My Brave Face run through is rougher from this 1987/1988 period. It would have been great on something like Elvis Costello's albums blood and chocolate, spike,etc.

Also nice to see more of Paul's studio in this footage.

On the same section of the DVD, the box drum version of 25 Fingers sounds great. Also great to see the rickenbacker bass again.

Also on the DVD, under Buds In The Studio (about 7 minutes long).

Good to see Trevor Horn. Also interesting that with this footage we don't see the whole band yet (the 1989/1990 touring band), but Hamish, Paul, Elvis, Chris Whitten, and someone else I can't remember right now.

From the DVD Making of This One Dean Chamberlain (about 7 minutes and 35 seconds long).

His directing of the This One Video is very Sgt Pepper in its look.

As far as the videos contained on the DVD, some thoughts:

We Got Married - I don't ever remember seeing this video being played a lot in the US. The video reminds me of the old VISA commercials with Paul from the 1989/1990 tour.

This One- I prefer the Dean Chamberlain version. I know the Indian version was good but the eyes always creep me out (yes, I get its part of the culture on their paintings of the various deities, but still creepy with the big eyes painted on their eyelids).

My Brave Face- The right version was used as the video for this single (with the collector obtaining Paul's items- the more famous version).

Ou Est Le Soleil- Ok, as a generation X, I love the super Mario video game vibe of this. With that said, what was Paul thinking with the sombrero?!?!?!? WTF?!?!?Thank goodness this video didn't get much us airplay. I probably didn't see it until this release, don't remember it played at the time of the release.

The books and thoughts on them:

Purple book- This book is the most essential. There is a nice photograph of Paul and Elvis in 1995 contained in the book. There are even a few photos of David Foster and Paul from 1984 which illustrates how far back some of the material was started. Also some nice Paul and George Martin photos. Great to see them especially now.

Black book- This has the handwritten lyrics and trinkets. I'd say that this is the second most essential book in the deluxe set.

Red Book- This has photos from the This One video (both versions). Nice, but not essential.

Yellow book- Alternate shots of the cover art. Least essential on this set.

Some more final thoughts:

It would have been nice to have the downloads on a physical cd. Let's just say my never to be named contact came through with burned cd of these songs. I should not have to worry about downloading a file (all showed as really small on my iPad) and convert from a flac to wav file (which I could not do at all).

Next time Paul should put the all material on the physical set.

Don't make us work and worry about a flack to fleek to fluke to wav file and carry the 1 just to burn it to a cd-r.

It's like only giving someone 70% of a pizza and making them pay for a whole one without a refund.

Overall I am glad to have the set. I know I am a completist. The DVD is the most generous as others have noted.

I hope the series does continue with generous physical cds, a plethora of material on DVD, and informative notes and essays about the album and time period.

Paul, his management, and Capitol records should keep all this in mind.

Now bring on the following: Flaming Pie, Give My Regards To Broad Street, Press To Play, London Town, Back To The Egg, and Wild Life to the archive series!

Thanks to the 4 people still on this forum for reading all of this.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    RubenH, Bemagnus, gja586 and 15 others like this.
  25. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

I finally got around to purchasing the FITD set, but before going through it decided to go through all my deluxe archive sets again (it's been forever since I had, so everything was like new again!) Anyways, I finished the FITD set today and am just now sitting down and going through the DVD. I have to agree with everyone, this footage is amazing!! I've always been interested in behind the scenes footage (be it for movies, music, etc.) but THIS is something else. Seeing Macca and Costello working in the studio is absolutely incredible. I love it.