Hired Gun (2016) - Netflix doc about touring sidemen

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dadonred, Jun 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song Thread Starter

Just read about this. It looks great. Out tomorrow.

Hired Gun – The Untold Stories Behind Your Favorite Musicians

Synopsis:
    The feature-length documentary, which has been screened to both critic and audience acclaim at SXSW Festival, Glastonbury Festival, MIFF, Calgary International and Noise Pop, introduces music fans to some of the world’s unsung heroes of the music industry through exclusive interviews and performances. These artists have played with musical legends such as Alice Cooper, Rob Zombie, Billy Joel, P!NK, Ozzy Osbourne, Michael Jackson, Metallica, Bon Jovi and many more.

“Hired Gun” is the story of the musical talent responsible for the most famous instrumental solos in the world, who have toured with the musical legends who hired them. The hired gun community lives and breathes music, and, for the first time, its members share their incredible stories and exclusive musical performances with the world in this inspiring new documentary.

They are recognized as some of the best musicians in the world, and include Jason Hook (Five Finger Death Punch), Liberty DeVitto (Billy Joel), Kenny Aronoff (John Mellencamp), Rudy Sarzo (Ozzy Osbourne), Phil X (Bon Jovi), Justin Derrico, Mark Schulman (P!NK), Ray Parker Jr. (Ghostbusters), Jason Newsted (Metallica), Eric Singer (KISS), John 5 (Rob Zombie), Glen Sobel, Nita Strauss (Alice Cooper), Steve Lukather (Michael Jackson, Toto), Steve Vai (David Lee Roth), Paul Bushnell (Katy Perry), Jay Graydon (Steely Dan), Derek St. Holmes (Ted Nugent), Chris Johnson (Rihanna), music producer David Foster, and featuring Alice Cooper and Rob Zombie, and more. These “hired guns” have mastered their craft and performed on the greatest stages and in high-intensity recording sessions, yet rarely receive credit for their work. In the vein of the 2014 Academy Award©-winning doc “20 Feet from Stardom,” “Hired Gun” details the highs and lows of touring life, the demands of session schedules, and the dedication required to play backseat to some of rock’s most iconic musicians.

2. dadonred

Kind of like a bunch of Behind the Musics rolled into one.

Isamet likes this.
  3. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Might be interesting... however, I imagine many, if not most, of these names are familiar to lots of people on these forums and many music fans everywhere.

Then there are lots of people who love music but don't get into it in the same way... don't read credits on albums, etc.

Nothing wrong with that of course, but they would also be hard pressed to name any non-front person in any band, save for those rarest of bands who are pretty well known, even by first names... ;)

4. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Man, there are a lot of trailers out there

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  5. segue

6. segue

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    Szeppelin75 and Zeki like this.
  7. segue

Liberty DeVitto and Kenny Aronoff throwing shade at Billy Joel makes it sound interesting!
    Music Soundtrack by The Crystal Method

Tree of Life, krock2009 and Duke Fame like this.
  8. BradaTaylor

BradaTaylor Forum Resident

Love the idea of this doc. It's a discussion I've had with friends many times over the years. I know it's all been done and said before, but every documentary I watch enlightens me just a bit more. Can't wait.

dadonred likes this.
  9. dadonred

I'm going tonight. I will bet it will be as low attendance as the Frank Zappa documentary.

10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I saw the previews. It looks interesting. Some of my favorite people are in it.

11. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

When is this coming out on DVD or for a regular theatrical run? All I've seen is the hype about one-night-only theatrical showing, and nothing else.

12. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Where Buckethead at? Maybe he don't talk...except with his FINGERS. They coulda got Bootsy to interpret for him. and Hey, where Bootsy at? hmmmm

Rooster_Ties and Fullbug like this.
  13. From what I've seen in the promos for this film, it totally ignores a group of select musicians who basically shaped music for decades, "The Wrecking Crew". There has already been a documentary about them with books a a multi-disc media set . Before you see "Hired Gun", check out the "The Wrecking Crew" documentary to see how it all began and paved the way for future session musicians.

Zoot Marimba and dadonred like this.
  14. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I wished it focused on just the yacht rock crew...Lukather, Graydon, Pages, Pages, McDonald, Foster, etc.

RoyalScam and Comet01 like this.
  15. BradaTaylor

Let us know what you think. Be looking for your post tomorrow.

16. dadonred

Well, there were 24 people at the theater, 5x that of Zappa. (Same theater in Austin)

It's a good piece. There could be 500 stories and a 100 sidemen for this venture, but based on availability, licensing of music, and many other considerations there is only these. It's a honest showing. Here are my takeaways:

• It reminds you just how good yet on the edge 'real' musicians are in their talent.
    • It reminds you how rough the music industry is, just like every other industry when it comes down to it (except for the occasional nationwide adulation)
    • It wasn't just woe is me or dishing dirt stories, but shed light on the humanness of dealing with reality as it was served up in its various shock, surprise, randomness, glee, disappointment, and fear.
    • I came away with a new appreciation for Rudy Sarzo...
    • I also came away with new appreciation for Brad Gilles - stories come across differently when you hear them from the person's mouth and see their emotional expression
    • It wasn't just a bunch of gig and road stories
    • It seemed too fast, a lot to cram in from a diverse set of musicians at various stages of their careers
    • There were a TON of Les Pauls in the movie, fwiw.
    • Just a glimpse into the gratefulness and dumb luck and being ready to cease an opportunity. For this, it reminds me of The WreckingBall. But many of these were performing musicians, not just studio musicians. So that was what was different.
    • The DVD will probably be ok with additional outtakes. The musical choices were actually few and somewhat odd.
    • It didn't really touch on it, but a look into talent of older musicians who won't be hired to tour but still have a hell a lot to offer. Austin's discussion about trying to make medical services available to musicians and how many around here can't make a living in music were just underscored.
    • What a freakin' lonely career!
    • I don't really want to hear another Jay Graydon Peg story...
    • Jay Graydon must have been really sauced up for the preshow and post show interviews...
    • Someone really shouldn't have given Jay Graydon a mic at the end...
    • Hardly any appearances by Lukather, Rob Z, or Vai, if that's what you were hoping for. Minimal time by Eric Singer.
    • Now I know who Five Finger Death Punch is (kinda)
    • The Nice Shot Man dude is a real dooosh (imo) and apparently blames it on NIN. I'm not buying it entirely.
    • There are more "current" folks in it than prior folks
    • Lizzie Maguire had a helluva guitarist in her band!
    I paid $16 for the privilege of the "special showing." Could have just waited for the DVD. It's really just a glimpse, but a truthful glimpse. I'd give it a generous 4 out of 5 stars.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  17. dadonred

They got more than their fair share of time in the film, imo.

18. dadonred

So, was Buckethead actually in it? I have no idea what he looks like. Someone mentioned him and then they cut to a band of sidemen. I think there were 3 guitarists but none playing like him?

19. dadonred

Different goal. Most of these were touring sidemen who only took studio gigs as needed.

20. BradaTaylor

I asked, and you delivered. Thanks, man.

dadonred likes this.
  21. dadonred

P.s. That documentary about backup singers was possibly better than this one. But related conditions, outcomes, and heartbreak. I think the director on this one just moved quickly with what he could afford.

Fullbug likes this.
  22. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I was being silly but he does deserve mention in this context I think because he has done a lot of hired gun work. I think he has done a good enough job of masking his identity all these years that no one still really knows what he looks like, but I could be wrong. I've actually always assumed he is Japanese because he is so steeped in Japanese pop culture. If anyone would have mentioned him, it should have been John 5, who's playing style sounds like it owes a big debt to the man with the KFC Hat.

23. dadonred

I have o say it again. This guy is amazing! Boldly Going Nowhere with Justin Derrico

Tree of Life likes this.
  24. Understood, but some of the musicians from the "Wrecking Crew" extensively toured also and before they became the main attractions themselves. Some examples: Hal Blaine toured with Nancy Sinatra, Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass--James Burton was a regular member of Ricky Nelson's band near the start of Ricky's music career--Daryl Dragon"The Captain", toured with the Beach Boys-- Glenn Campbell toured with the Beach Boys-Jim Gordon, Delaney & Bonnie, Derek & The Dominos, Johnny Rivers, Joe Cocker.
    Many members of "The Wrecking Crew" did extensive touring. A buck was a buck and if asked to go on tour, if someone was willing to pay their price, they went. Many of "The Wrecking Crew" began as touring musicians. They've got their own documentary, but should have atleast given a little credit in this latest flick.

25. dadonred

If there's any point to this documentary, it's that sidemen do not get the credit they deserve. Never have, never will.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.