What's wrong with Goat's Head Soup?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SurrealCereal, Jul 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just listened to Goat's Head Soup by The Rolling Stones for the first time fairly recently, and I thought it was very good. I had always avoided it because of the bad reputation it got, and because I was not a fan of any of the songs I had heard from the two albums following it. I'm not saying it's on the same level as the preceding four albums, but I think it's a good album. Is it ignored and disliked because it's too experimental, because there isn't enough straightforward rock & roll, or something else?

2. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

It has a pretty 'gamey' flavor. But it all depends on the vegetables you put in it.

3. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Not a damn thing, as far as I'm concerned.

4. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

It came after 4 career highlight albums.

5. zen

zen Senior Member

The Rolling Stones made it....that's what's wrong. Maybe if an average rock band released GHS, it might get a little respect.

6. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Nothing is wrong with it. Great album.

Don't believe what others tell you... trust your own opinion and ears. If you like it, there is not a damn thing wrong with it.

7. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

It's a great album, but it took awhile for me to get into it. I found it too slow at first. Some time spent only listening to individual songs made me realize how great they all are.

8. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

It's not very good compared to what came before, but miles better than most of what came after :cheers::cheers:

Ludger, BDC, supermd and 35 others like this.
  9. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Four amazing albums.

10. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

If I were around at the time of each release, I could see myself perceiving GHS as a step down from what came before.

But I wasn't. And I like it. 1000 Years Ago in particular gets plenty of play time.

Rickchick, Jarvius, The MEZ and 5 others like this.
  11. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I think too many people, myself included, were too overtaken by the "vastness" of Exile On Main Street to just immediately appreciate GHS on its' own merits. My only problem with it as I've said many times is the overall flat sound of the album; by comparison to other albums of the time period, it sounds like the engineer put one overhead mic in the studio and said, "play". But over time, even *that* has charmed me over. for me, it's the last album of The Stones' "golden era". For many, that would be Exile..and in the past, I'd have agreed..but in hindsight, I'd put GHS at the tail end of it. IORAR was the start of the, as I like to call them, "High Society" Stones.

12. lbgarcia

lbgarcia Senior Member

I bought Goat's Head when it came out not unlike all (most?) of the Stones previous albums, sight unseen/unheard. For the most part, I liked it but, considering its predecessor Exile , I was slightly disappointed. It was a little too obviously "decadent." However, how could I not love "**** a Star" or "Silver Train"? I did play the record a lot at the time (I don't recall exactly what other albums rivaled time on my turntable).

13. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Great album

14. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i really think GHS's suffered by what preceded it.that and the single angie became such a big hit.i was around when it came out,and it did seem a bit of a letdown.having listened to again 5 or so years ago with "fresh ears" it sounded much better and now is one of my favorite stones albums.a good analogy is bowie's diamond dogs.it too seemed like a let down upon release,in it's case i think largely to the way bowie was preforming live at that time,as it was such a departure from ziggy.it now is a top 5 bowie record for me as is GHS with the stones.

15. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

If Exile was the big party, then Goat's Head Soup was the Sunday morning coming down (again).

16. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I do feel the cover probably clouded people's judgments, as well. For various reasons.

17. ronton99

ronton99 Forum Resident

When I think of Goat's Head Soup I think of "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo" and "Star Star" and that's about all there is to care about.
    Oh, and puny, awful sound.

veloso2, t-man 54, samthesham and 4 others like this.
  18. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

I think it's a great album.

couchguy, Rickchick, The MEZ and 4 others like this.
  19. Where are you Simon

Where are you Simon Well-Known Member

Rice and Peas :tiphat:

starduster and The Elephant Man like this.
  20. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...other albums of the time period give or take a year...Quadrophenia, Brain Salad Surgery, Close To The Edge, Houses Of The Holy, Dark Side Of The Moon, A Passion Play...man oh man...what a time for music!!!!!!!!

21. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Runs outta gas alittle

22. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

The main problem for me is the muddy mix. I'm not sure what was going on at the time, but for whatever reason that album really sounds dull. The songs are pretty good, but they sure f--- up with the mix, imo.

23. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

The only thing wrong with it is that it doesn't get as much love as it should.

BDC, Zafu, MRamble and 10 others like this.
  24. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

25. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Angie? 100 Years Ago? Dancing with Mr D? Winter?

So many fantastic songs, IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.